Vista And Chris Pirillo

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
In response to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELrxLdP85c

I was moved by the emotional way Chris is dealing with the response (backlash?) from the tech community, youtube cut me short at 500 words, here is all of it, not very coherent:

I am going to try Vista now, or soon, just need time. But I think XP kicks ass, And I think Vista Could kick ass (and a tentative WILL kick ass). But. . . not quite yet.

I was around for the 95 upgrade If you didn't know 95a stunk, 95B was OK (sweet) 95C was better but I don't think I ever used it. 98SE was the bomb, it rocked(still does if you got old stuff that doesn't need to do much). 2000, excellent and solid in the long run. XP, it was a bit bumpy, but it ironed out and is the top gorilla.

Vista, I think will be fine as soon as things work, and shipping it on new PC's practically across the board is a sure way to force it to start working and quick. I probably won't be perfectly happy with it until a few of the Reg tweaks Chris mentions are either included, in a powertoy, or easy enough for me to Google up a forum to fix what I can't stand. * But if VLC or Media Player Classic and Firefox and some of my choice games function I probably will be fine.

My can't-live-without hardware is usually cobble-ware dangling from my Parallel port and that hasn't functioned on my main PC in years. So my old 98SE lappy will stay the course for hobby TV remote reprogramming and the like. I don't think I depend on the PC as much in a subsistence way at all, and certaintly not like Chris does.

So that was what I wanted to say to Youtube comments.

I like to try new stuff, if you can download 3GBs of a Sabayon Linux 3.26 (<- important), then you can boot a liveDVD that will enable a real-time 3D cube. for a desktop with pixel-shaded content that flows around a cube. Very sweet, and one reboot later you are off and back in the familiar, productive OS of your choice (cough XP). Linux torrents is hosting, search 3.26 because it isn't on the Sabayon distro list yet (or as of last week).

I yearn and pine for an 8800GTS with a dual-core (I want AM2, but Newegg has $120 939 x2's, I am torn) running Vista (not Ultimate, but definitely Aero), just for sheer kicks and the rush.

But I have a 7900GS that will clock to 650mhz (has for the last 3 months :D) and a 4000+ San Diego that runs happy as a clam @3Ghz and hardly bumps past 30c on air, take that FX, the 4000+ only cost me $100.

So who knows what is really the best, I just want a chance to try it and see how I respond, maybe anyone who feels differently or the same can post and I can widen my world-view.

*The main problem with Google is you need to know what the thingy you are googling is actually called, a prelim-google, or proogle if you will, to find out what keywords will turn up what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonStar55 posted on Mar 3 2007 at 11:02 PM said:
I think, I'm going to stick with gentoo, screw vista, and all the other windows, besides 98SE just because it's 98SE
For those who don't know, Sabayon is Gentoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back