Vista

As above.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

However if you just use the laptop for doing stuff like browsing the internet and word processing I would give Vista a try.

I've had Ultimate Edition on my laptop (Acer Aspire 3023WLMi) for a couple of months and am really impressed with it. I only really use the laptop for web browsing and word processing (Office 2007 gets my thumbs up btw), so it's nothing too stressful.

If you're just going to use a laptop for web browsing and word processing, why bother paying for an operating system? Ubuntu, Linspire, Knoppix... just make sure that your wireless card is compatible or you'll face some of the same issues that Javacat did with Vista.
not everyone pays for Windows, but yeah I agree with what you are saying.

Ubuntu + Automatix will give you everything you need for an internet, office, multimedia playing box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Novell rocks, and so does Vista (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Novell Netware was just about the most horrible thing to administrate ever. No concept of remote administration whatsoever, you had to do it physically at the terminal connected to the machine running it (though Netware 6.5 introduced a port of OpenSSH, but that's beyond me as I'd left using it long before that was released).

I never really looked into the old Novell stuff. There's a whole web based front end available for Novell systems nowadays, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It's really easy to use though. I think it's part of ZENworks. It also gives you access to the actual console interface and all of the screens from within the webpage (using a java applet).

However if you just use the laptop for doing stuff like browsing the internet and word processing I would give Vista a try.

I've had Ultimate Edition on my laptop (Acer Aspire 3023WLMi) for a couple of months and am really impressed with it. I only really use the laptop for web browsing and word processing (Office 2007 gets my thumbs up btw), so it's nothing too stressful.

If you're just going to use a laptop for web browsing and word processing, why bother paying for an operating system? Ubuntu, Linspire, Knoppix... just make sure that your wireless card is compatible or you'll face some of the same issues that Javacat did with Vista.
I used an MSDN subscription to get it, so I didn't pay and it's still useful to be able to play the odd crappy game when I wish :p. The main reason I'm using Vista on it is to learn about it for when the general public, so that I'll be able to provide support.

Actually, I find that usually ndiswrapper will make even these odd cases work... I installed Ubuntu onto 5 different laptops recently and one had a weird wireless card in which the linux driver made the on/off button not work, but loading the windows driver through ndiswrapper worked perfectly.

Back