Vista Has Claimed Victim

Gates said that 5 percent of Windows machines crash, on average, twice daily.

Basically Windows is shit and anyone that says otherwise has never used a stable OS.

Gates said that 5 percent of Windows machines crash, on average, twice daily.

Basically Windows is shit and anyone that says otherwise has never used a stable OS.

Wow, that's a very high horse you're on there, you must need a ladder to get off.

To be honest though, I work as a technician for a large university. ALL our public workstations and staff machines are running XP Pro but you get the odd few who are running Linux or Macs, as they have similar attitudes to yours. If windows was as bad as you reckon, then my job would be hell. The workstations that get used every day by thousands of students, just trundle along happily by themselves. They all receive automatic software installs and updates via the Active Directory (the workstations that is not the students :) ).

The practical upshot is: We were overrun with windows related rubbish faults until we moved away from 98, NT and 2K. XP is a very stable OS, and thousands of PCs running daily are pretty much proof of this. We get more hardware failures than operating system crashes, in fact the blue screen of death is rarely seen anymore. I know XP has the odd quirk, and if you know about it it's very easy and quick to fix. But ALL operating systems have problems here and there, and if you know about them the resolve is easy. Don't get caught up in what I call the Windows Legacy attitude, i.e. basing your prejudice on previous versions. Simply saying something is "crap" isn't an argument.....

You back down to earth yet? :D

Edit: Before you say that I am a Microsoft fangirl, I'm not, one of my servers is Ubuntu! I do like linux, I'm just not biased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care about averages or statistics, but what I know is that my PC at home (WinXP Pro) currently has an uptime of 16 days since it's last reboot (which was a NVidia Gfx driver update).

It's not meant as a server machine, so this kind of uptime is totally acceptable to me.

The servers at work run on Windows Server 2003, and the last time they were rebooted was when the battery backup failed due to an extended power outage, which is exactly the same amount of time as the single Linux box which runs Sendmail and Squid.

Personally, I think it's all down to how you configure your machine. Install loads of crap and get regular crashes, but if your careful, you can could easily get uptimes measured in years (assuming no driver updates, hardware failures, etc...)

The mainframes I used to work on ran for a month between reboots and uptime was 99.97% and this on a system that wasn't mirrored, didn't have Raid or dual PSUs etc.

Our record was 10.5 months without a single second of user downtime and then the failure was a harddrive so if we'd had mirrored drives that wouldn't have stopped us either.

Now where's that ladder I want to get down from my horse. :D

The mainframes I used to work on ran for a month between reboots and uptime was 99.97% and this on a system that wasn't mirrored, didn't have Raid or dual PSUs etc.

Our record was 10.5 months without a single second of user downtime and then the failure was a harddrive so if we'd had mirrored drives that wouldn't have stopped us either.

Now where's that ladder I want to get down from my horse. :D

Unortunately the horse was shot ages ago, you're now flogging it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back