Microsoft Vista Discussion

Any Micro$oft product will never be 100% original, in fact DOS was a rip off of CP/M and NCSA Docs.
You do know MS didn't make DOS, right? They bought it.

According to what I know (from my OS teacher) DOS is 100% Microsoft's product.
Once uppon a time when 16bit Microcomputers came in, IBM made a competition to make 16bit version of CP/M. Microsoft applied...well their MSDOS didn't quite make the requirements (none of the competitors has) but it was accepted by IBM. In fact there was some shortcuts that Microsoft made in DOS but for the time when DOS was released, it was a piece of a good work.
Well you're almost correct, Microsoft bought the a licence for QDOS which was designed for CP/M systems. They then developed it and called it MS-DOS. IBM were developing PC-DOS for their machines but dropped that to concentrate on OS/2. And how did MS become soo huge? Simple, they made a deal with IBM so that a cut priced MSDOS (OEM) was sold with their PCs. This move secured Microsoft's future as every PC came with MS-DOS. Even IBM compatible/clone manufacturers such as Tandy were supplying it but re badged as TandyDOS.

My My, what a lot of DOS :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Micro$oft product will never be 100% original, in fact DOS was a rip off of CP/M and NCSA Docs.
You do know MS didn't make DOS, right? They bought it.

According to what I know (from my OS teacher) DOS is 100% Microsoft's product.
Once uppon a time when 16bit Microcomputers came in, IBM made a competition to make 16bit version of CP/M. Microsoft applied...well their MSDOS didn't quite make the requirements (none of the competitors has) but it was accepted by IBM. In fact there was some shortcuts that Microsoft made in DOS but for the time when DOS was released, it was a piece of a good work.
Well you're almost correct, Microsoft bought the a licence for QDOS which was designed for CP/M systems. They then developed it and called it MS-DOS. IBM were developing PC-DOS for their machines but dropped that to concentrate on OS/2. And how did MS become soo huge? Simple, they made a deal with IBM so that a cut priced MSDOS (OEM) was sold with their PCs. This move secured Microsoft's future as every PC came with MS-DOS. Even IBM compatible/clone manufacturers such as Tandy were supplying it but re badged as TandyDOS.

My My, what a lot of DOS :lol:.
QDOS orginally stood for "Quick and Dirty Operating System" and Microsoft got so rich by licensing all these things like "TandyDOS"

Last edited by a moderator:
The original plan was to take windows server 2003 and rewrite large parts of it, but it seems that in the end, the only part that got completely rewritten was the anti-piracy and windows activation parts :D (Which were bypassed within hours of the RTM version :D )

Only parts that seem new now is the new Aero interface which makes it look pretty but turns a 3ghz P4 into the equivalent of P200MMX, and the constant security nags which are so annoying and describe what they are doing in such small detail that most people will just turn them off over a day or so (eg. "Windows needs your permission for the following: File Operation").

I was an official Vista beta-tester, but I got really annoyed with the new security whilst installing some apps: They took a while to install, so I decided to make a drink whilst it was installing. When I came back it had failed installation and uninstalled as windows decided it couldn't do what it requested without asking me, the program timed out and assumed the request had failed.

End result: Reformatted harddisk on that machine, installed Fedora Core instead :)

having to learn vista et al for my work, however ive been running BSD/KDE on my main home PC since 1999.

so far its a case of what have microsoft renamed and moved this time. the missing run button from start menu is a pita, although ive just found out about "windows key+r" that brings it up, wonder how many versions of windows that existed :) lol

Is it true that it'll come in seven different flavours?

I personally have little against Windows, I use Windows XP pro everywhere and it does its job. If I need to reinstall it once in a while, then so be it, doesn't bother me all that much as long as things work smoothly and I can do the work I was set to do instead of worrying about downloading new dependencies etc.

I don't recommend buying Vista just yet, there are bound to be a lot of bugs or incompatibilities in its first year. I'd wait for public response before making the jump. As a matter of fact, I can't see what Vista brings to my PC that I would need, WinXP does everything I want.

- Alex

Yes, it comes in different flavors. There used to be about 8, but I think they've shrunk the list down to about 4 now: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business & Ultimate

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getr...ns/default.mspx

When the RTM was released, Microsoft let you bypass the cd key check so you could test drive any version of vista regardless of the one you purchased. You did have to enter a valid cd-key within about 30 days or so though.

Back