Release VirtualJaguar EX - Video

The following layout worked for me:

/pandora/apps/vj-ex.pnd

/pandora/appdata/vj-ex-app/bios/jagboot.rom

/pandora/appdata/vj-ex-app/roms/Rayman.1995.UBI.Soft.jag

It displayed the Rayman ROM and let me play it, I tried in the 'fast' mode and it seemed to run. It seemed a bit fiddly to run to me, I had to select the ROM and then hit escape a couple of times and hit a couple of buttons (sorry don't know exactly what I did off the top of my head). But I can confirm it ran!

The following layout worked for me:

/pandora/apps/vj-ex.pnd

/pandora/appdata/vj-ex-app/bios/jagboot.rom

/pandora/appdata/vj-ex-app/roms/Rayman.1995.UBI.Soft.jag

It displayed the Rayman ROM and let me play it, I tried in the 'fast' mode and it seemed to run. It seemed a bit fiddly to run to me, I had to select the ROM and then hit escape a couple of times and hit a couple of buttons (sorry don't know exactly what I did off the top of my head). But I can confirm it ran!

How well does it run ?

For the people that it's working for, are you using Kernel 3.2? im wondering if this may be the issue

@ekianjo: Rayman is 'playable', running in the fast mode, without sound. I know 'playable' is quite a lose term, it is a long way off running at full speed for me, but I find it just about tolerable to run around for a little while. I am running at 975 MHz. AvP runs a fair bit slower, not playable in my opinion.

@manic23: I'm using Kernel 3.2, 1.51 Super Zaxxon.

I am hoping to see some speed improvements one day, as I would like to play Rayman properly on there.

Must really try this on my 1ghz Pandy, just love some of the Jag games, must ratch out my copy of Battlesphere Gold!

I am totally baffled as to why this is just happening on my Pandora, im doing everything right to the letter as per the docs

Maybe you have better luck in mounting the pnd and starting the executable itself.

It has an own menu and doesn't really need the EX launcher by StreaK.

Just a FYI, initially I put the files in the wrong directory, I followed the instructions on the repository:

Quickstart:
Put jagboot.rom in /bios [in /[sdcard]/pandora/vj-ex-app]

Put *.jag games in /roms [in /[sdcard]/pandora/vj-ex-app]

But they miss out the 'appdata' part of the path. I just thought I'd mention it just in case.

I changed the extension from .j64 to .jag for the games, list of games appeared..... long wait and nothing, pressed escape and small window in red on top left appeared which said error, pressed escape and maybe 1,2, or 3 on top row just to escape not sure which and it started to load... strange

Heres what I did: renamed roms to .jag, and list appears, using 3.2 kernel, load game nothing, press escape small window top left appears with error, so pressed cross window still there, in small at the top it says settings clicked on this drop down menu and it says load in the list its very small! It starts playing AVP sound juddery tho in compatable mode...

The j64 roms are not identical to jag roms afaik, so renaming won't work. You need j64 roms. Get a proper romset. Explaination here:

http://icculus.org/virtualjaguar/extensions.html

Edit: Did you try pressing escape after loading a rom? I think there was some bug or feature that halts a game after loading wih the launcher, but I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers will try that, they certainly run renamed, so they could perform even better will track some .jag roms

@ekianjo: Rayman is 'playable', running in the fast mode, without sound. I know 'playable' is quite a lose term, it is a long way off running at full speed for me, but I find it just about tolerable to run around for a little while. I am running at 975 MHz. AvP runs a fair bit slower, not playable in my opinion.

@manic23: I'm using Kernel 3.2, 1.51 Super Zaxxon.

I am hoping to see some speed improvements one day, as I would like to play Rayman properly on there.

Thanks for the answer!

Many thanks for the tip to rename the j64 roms to jag, worked a treat for me. Now if only the games ran at a playable speed lol

Back