Vice 1.19 Release

snaff

Certified Guru
Good news for VICE2x. Marco van den Heuvel of the VICE core team has merged the GP2X version of VICE with the mainstream version. This means that future releases of VICE available at http://viceteam.org will include the GP2X version, so it will always stay upto date with the latest improvements to the core project.

The binary builds for running on the 2x will be at http://gp2x.org/gp2x/vice as usual where 1.19 is now available. The last release was based on the VICE 1.18 code so for general changes with this release see the changelog on the main VICE site here. In addition some GP2X specific improvements include better TV out support and a CPU speed selector.

snaff posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
Good news for VICE2x. Marco van den Heuvel of the VICE core team has merged the GP2X version of VICE with the mainstream version. This means that future releases of VICE available at http://viceteam.org will include the GP2X version, so it will always stay upto date with the latest improvements to the core project.

The binary builds for running on the 2x will be at http://gp2x.org/gp2x/vice as usual where 1.19 is now available. The last release was based on the VICE 1.18 code so for general changes with this release see the changelog on the main VICE site here. In addition some GP2X specific improvements include better TV out support and a CPU speed selector.

That is great news snaff, thanks for your work on this. I've been enjoying Turrican and Mayhem in Monsterland a bit too much of late, you only need to ask my wife who for some reason complains we don't communicate enough :)

Last edited by a moderator:
c64 emulation doesnt work for me.

Seems to get stuck on the familiar blue Basic screen but with no text on the screen at all.

I can't see what I am typing and launching an image just seems to reset the c64 back to the blank blue screen.

Vic20 seems to work but it doesnt auto boot cartridges.

Iorgy77 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
c64 emulation doesnt work for me.

Seems to get stuck on the familiar blue Basic screen but with no text on the screen at all.

I can't see what I am typing and launching an image just seems to reset the c64 back to the blank blue screen.

Vic20 seems to work but it doesnt auto boot cartridges.

Maybe a corrupt file somewhere. Try deleting the vice program and data files and copying them all over again.

For cartridges you need to attach, then reset to start them.

Cool, is Vice better than the standalone Frodo C-64 emu when it comes to C64 speed and sound?

I copied the files over to the SD cardf again and it works now.

To answer DaveC's question once you overclock to 250mHz Vice is superior to frodo on the gp32 imo. Compatibility and feature wise and emulation wise.

If left at 200mHz then you get frequent pauses in the emulation.

Great job snaff. :D

i like vice a lot better then frodo.
would rock to get murder on the mississippi and maniac mansion to run but
they don't work even with vice 1.19 on my lnx pc.

update: both are working now changing to some other dumps, woohoo! :)

Iorgy77 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 10:17 PM said:

To answer DaveC's question once you overclock to 250mHz Vice is superior to frodo on the gp32 imo. Compatibility and feature wise and emulation wise.

So Frodo on the *GP2X* is still better for C-64 emulation? I don't overclock because it destroys battery life, which is best at the default 200 MHz?

Well, I've been playing with the c64 emu in VICE and from what I've seen, it runs fullspeed FS0 @ 200MHz. It also supports savestates and is more compatible than Frodo. (Like I can acutally save/load games to the virtual disks) VICE gets my vote as the better of the two.

-Kensupen

P.S. If you run your GP2X @ 200MHz you will get let's say 3-4 hours if you overclock to 266 you get 10-20 min less. Tried this myself.

DaveC posted on May 2 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
Iorgy77 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 10:17 PM said:

So Frodo on the *GP2X* is still better for C-64 emulation? I don't overclock because it destroys battery life, which is best at the default 200 MHz?

Vice has better compatibility, certain games don't work with frodo (gp2x) that run fine in Vice. But yeah without overclocking there are frequent pauses in emulation on Vice at the moment.

Frodo is no longer being developed while Vice just gets better and better, Vice also emulates other systems like the C=128 and Vic20... So I would say Vice is better at the moment as I don't mind overclocking.

Vice needs overclock.
Frodo doesn't need and have 100% fullspeed.
Vice has a better compatibility than frodo.
I don't know with last realise, but I can't play IK+ on vice, too much slow.
So you need all two.

Will we see GP2X specific performance enhancements, or will the fact that development is tied to the other platforms mean that GP2X VICE will always be a bit more "hungry" than it might?

I'd love to just ditch Frodo and solely use VICE at some point as it definately better, and is still under development. Fullspeed without overclocking (or even with as slow a clock speed as possible) would be great.

®

Back