blacky

Still Fresh
VICE 2.1 has been released.

VICE is the Versatile Commodore Emulator, it emulates the Commodore C64,
C128, VIC20, PET, PLUS4 and the CBM-II, as well as the C64 DTV, and it
runs on Win32, Unix, DOS, RiscOS, OS/2, BeOS, QNX, SkyOS, AmigaOS and
GP2X systems.

VICE is *free* software released under the GNU General Public License,
and as such it comes with full source code.

Most important changes since the last version include:

* Changes in VICE 2.1
======================

** General
----------

- The VICEplus project has been joined with VICE. Thus, x64dtv is now
part of VICE.

- We can be contacted via IRC: #vice-dev on freenode

- Added a more accurate ReSID engine using floating point math (ReSID-FP).

- Added support for the USB HardSID.

- PAL emulation has been rewritten and optimized.

- Fixed the ACIA 6551 emulation. (x64/x128/xcbm2/xpet/xplus4)

- Monitor commands help text is now translated too
(in ports where translation is available at all)

- Monitor IO command now displays IO area even if it is currently
banked out.

- GCR file handling (.G64) issues an error message if the .G64 does not
have the expected structure. Before, VICE just silently ignored such
files.

- IRQ handling fix

** C64/C128 changes
-------------------

- Fixed the digimax sound generation.

- Added the RR clockport disable functionality at $DF00.0. Allows
to disable the RRnet.

- Improved REU compatibility and timing.

** C64 changes
--------------

- Added isepic cartridge emulation.

- Added Double Quick Brown Box cartridge emulation.

** VIC20 changes
----------------

- Improved the sound emulation.

- Fixed the lowest note bug.

- Improved VIC emulation (exact in-line color/reverse mode changes).

** C64DTV changes
-----------------

- New emulator.

** GP2X changes
---------------

- Fixed black screen problem.

- Pause emulation while the menu is open.

- Added experimental support for USB keyboard and joystick.

- Removed vsid.

The VICE 2.1 source archive is available at:
http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crosspl...vice-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 GP2X binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/cro...ce-gp2x-2.1.zip

For more information check out the VICE home page at:

http://www.viceteam.org/

At the time this was written the VICE home page was not updated yet,
rest assured that it will be updated soon.
In the meantime, please use

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

The VICE team wishes you all a Merry Christmas!

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

Nice to see another vice update on GP2X. Are the pausing, skipping and out of sync sound problems with certain games still present in this version?

Hirolaser said:
Are the pausing, skipping and out of sync sound problems with certain games still present in this version?
Snare still pauses every couple of seconds unless I overclock to > 230 :( Not sure if that's what you are referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lobo said:
Hirolaser said:
Are the pausing, skipping and out of sync sound problems with certain games still present in this version?
Snare still pauses every couple of seconds unless I overclock to > 230 :( Not sure if that's what you are referring to.

thanks for the reply, it looks like the pausing/skipping problems are still there. :( Still good to see Gnostic's improvements make it into the official version.

Isn't Vice2x supposed to support ZIP archived games? I have the Gamebase c64 collection and all the files are zipped, and I'd like to keep them that way if possible.

However, when I press Y in Vice2x on a zipped game (Y is for "Unzip" according to vice2x menu), the emulator just goes to /tmp directory but doesn't actually unzip the files. Is this a known limitation or am I doing something wrong?

Otherwise, the emulator works great for me. Last Ninja 2 runs really nicely with sound when unpacked beforehand. Greatness!

Can anyone tell me if this version supports F200 touch screen and is there a port for the Wiz planned? Thanks

'Pickle' said:
'bodhee' said:
is there a port for the Wiz planned? Thanks
wiz port? actually just finished it

That's good to hear. There are some games which don't run well in the GP2x version, the problem seems to be with sid emulation. Vice has always had problems with the sound on some games either making them pause and skip for a second at random/intermittent intervals or being out of sync with the action. An example is the game "Way of the Exploding fist" which some people have tested and others etc. Overclocking above 250Mhz crashes the emu

Can these problems be sorted out on the wiz? Fullspeed and flawless C64 emulation is the main reason I want a Wiz.

Thanks for all the work you're doing for the Wiz it'll be a very attractive system to buy at launch.

'Hirolaser' said:
'Pickle' said:
'bodhee' said:

That's good to hear. There are some games which don't run well in the GP2x version, the problem seems to be with sid emulation. Vice has always had problems with the sound on some games either making them pause and skip for a second at random/intermittent intervals or being out of sync with the action. An example is the game "Way of the Exploding fist" which some people have tested and others etc. Overclocking above 250Mhz crashes the emu

Can these problems be sorted out on the wiz? Fullspeed and flawless C64 emulation is the main reason I want a Wiz.

Thanks for all the work you're doing for the Wiz it'll be a very attractive system to buy at launch.

I have seen the skip/pause on some games, i think it occurs more with reSID than fastSID. I havnt gone above 533 yet either. I think it might a performance thing. I might know more today.

Update: most everything is playable at full speed (50 fps) sometimes it requires trying combinations of reSID/fastSID and some overclock. For example fastSID and 650 is going to be able handle most everything. I will probally make a video later.
I did try some of the other machines, it appears they might have a palette problem, not sure as ive never used them. They might also need scaling? Not sure, and i dont know if i will spend time trying to figure it out. I think most of us only use x64.

'Pickle' said:
'bodhee' said:

well then... i cant wait until i get my wiz.. does the current version have support for F-200 touch screen for key entry?

bodhee said:
'Pickle' said:
'bodhee' said:
well then... i cant wait until i get my wiz.. does the current version have support for F-200 touch screen for key entry?

Was touchscreen ever supported for the F200 in vice, i dont recall that it did?

Back