Vectrex Emulation?

classicgmr

Website
Visit site
I tried a search on the boards using "Vectrex Emulation" and "Vectrex" and got 5 pages of results which do not seem to be what I am looking for. I also double-checked the emulation section of the file archives for the GP2X. If this has come up before I apologize. :)

Has anyone done or attempted to do a Vectrex emulator? I know that the Veccy was released to public domain and I have a Vectrex on my desk with a Sean Kelly multicart. The overlay images are all over the net(maybe said emulator could load the appropriate overlay on rom select?) and the game files are, again, PD.

Here's a large info repository - http://www.classicgaming.com/vectrex/
Here's one emulator with source - http://www.valavan.net/vectrex.html

Again, my apologies if this has come up and been dismissed or if its been done and I just can't find it. :)

Hmm, that emulator seems simple enough. The OS dependent code is nicely separated from the rest, so porting it to the GP2X should be pretty straightforward. Controls should map to the GP2X nicely too. The only problem I see is that the GP2X's screen isn't very well suited for the vertically oriented screen of the Vectrex. You'll get either stretching or letterboxing then.

Hmm, that emulator seems simple enough. The OS dependent code is nicely separated from the rest, so porting it to the GP2X should be pretty straightforward. Controls should map to the GP2X nicely too. The only problem I see is that the GP2X's screen isn't very well suited for the vertically oriented screen of the Vectrex. You'll get either stretching or letterboxing then.

Or it could be rotated 90 degrees (and use the volume button as the fire button, like MAME).

Does gp2xmess run the Vectrex, I know the original MESS did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the 2X will handle at least this system at full speed.
1 vote for vectrex emulation !

Seconded!! with the GP2Xs screen rotation this would be a perfect fit. If overlays could be added so much the better. I tried to get this running with GP2XMESS but no love. This was one system I drooled over during the Atari 2600 days, but Santa was cheap that year. ;)

there's 2 emulators for vectrex running on GP32. neither of which have been touched in years, and if memory serves, both run very slow. still, a neat thing to see.

even now i still would love to get my hands on an actual vectrex! (someday!)

I remember seeing some crazy project online where some guy hacked up the vectrex's innards to be able to run PCBs for vector-grafx games thru it's screen.. it was pretty impressive looking stuff.

+1 vote for vectrex!!

@ Devil N: Stretching or scaling is actually irrelevant for vector graphics. You just plot lines. It would make a difference for the overlay bitmap though.

That would be cool to have the overlays load over the screen when the ROM loads though. And yes you can rotate the unit to get the same aspect.

+1 vote for vectrex!!

@ Devil N: Stretching or scaling is actually irrelevant for vector graphics. You just plot lines. It would make a difference for the overlay bitmap though.

That would be cool to have the overlays load over the screen when the ROM loads though. And yes you can rotate the unit to get the same aspect.
Yes yes, drawing vector graphics is no problem on a different aspect ratio, that wasn't my point. You'd still get a pretty squashed image if you keep the screen at its normal orientation. Of course, you can hold the GP2X at a 90 degree angle, but I'm not sure how the controls would work out then.

Nevertheless, I'd like to give this port a try. That's not saying someone else shouldn't attempt it as well though. I'm still pretty new to GP2X development, so whatever I come up with, someone more experienced could probably do it better.

[edit]
I'll call it Vec2X by the way (really original). Just so noone else can claim that name :)

Two hours in and I already have a first prototype running on the GP2X, as you can see here:

(Click on the image for a larger size. Don't mind the speckles, my digital camera sucks)

It's not quite fast yet, running at about half the normal speed. First I'll try to eliminate all the integer divisions from my code (especially the ones used for scaling coordinates when drawing vectors), and then there might be lots of optimization possibilities within the actual emulation code. I haven't actually looked at that code yet (goes to show how nicely platform independent it was made), but according to the original author there are still lots of speed ups to be gained there.

Two hours in and I already have a first prototype running on the GP2X, as you can see here:

(Click on the image for a larger size. Don't mind the speckles, my digital camera sucks)

It's not quite fast yet, running at about half the normal speed. First I'll try to eliminate all the integer divisions from my code (especially the ones used for scaling coordinates when drawing vectors), and then there might be lots of optimization possibilities within the actual emulation code. I haven't actually looked at that code yet (goes to show how nicely platform independent it was made), but according to the original author there are still lots of speed ups to be gained there.

Looking good! Can't wait to try it out!

Wah, 2X out of order, and so is my Vectrex... Waaaah!

I wonder, if there are some DIY fixes for Vectrex... Or if you're basic tv-repairguy could fix it, atleast the tv-part... Should the problem lie there...

But props to Devil N for this. Looking forward.

Well, not to burst your bubbles or anything, but getting the emulator to run on the GP2X was the easy part. Getting it to run well, that's the hard part. I don't know much about the inner workings of emulators, nor do I know much about low-level optimizations, so it's quite the challenge. It doesn't help either that it's pretty difficult to analyze code performance while executing on the GP2X, and so far I haven't figured out yet how to get code profiling to work in combination with Dev-C++. In any case, I'm trying, I'm trying, but don't hold your breath just yet. :)

great to see someone finally working on a vectrex emu, I'm sure the talented gp2x devs will help you if you need it. Good luck with it.

I had a Vectrex - bought one during the first week of its launch. Sold it about 10 years ago, along with a stack of games. Minefield (the one built into the system) was one of the better games, as was Scramble and Armor Attack. Many of the other games were not so good, but the three above were the best versions on any system (in my opinion).

Looking forward to a Vectrex emu!

This is awesome! I am looking forward to seeing a Veccy emulator!

DevilN - thanks so much for picking up this project. I am drooling with anticipation.

TelcoLou - I never owned a GP32(got my 2X in June). Were any of those actually finished or even running properly?

Bacteria - The built-in game (at least in the U.S.) was Minestorm. :) Armor Attack, Scramble, Star Trek and Pole Position are my favorites.

Are there many other Vectrex owners on here? I've got nearly all the original games now + Alex Herberts Protector - absolutely awesome. If it had come out with the original games it would have completely blown them away...

My vec needs a new sound chip though... 8-(

Back