Vectrex Emulation?

fatdad posted on Dec 19 2006 at 02:36 AM said:
i would like to file a missing person report...last seen nov 21, name he may have a vextrec emulator with him...any sightings please inform us here as soon as possible...we miss him
Hmm, I have been a bit absent lately, haven't I? Time does tend to fly, even when not having so much fun. In any case, I am currently very much suffering from Real Life™ Syndrome, due to a graduation project that has just started. This means full working days, and little time or will afterwards to pour my guts into this Vectrex emulator. In hindsight, it might not have been such a great idea for me to jump onto this project so quickly. Then again, I did say at the start that my attempt shouldn't put off others from trying to port this emulator as well. I couldn't think of anyone better than Squidge to get his hands dirty on Vectrex emulation.

As for Vec2X, my plan now is to clean up the code that has been written and then release what I have. I'll be off the next week, so I should have enough time then. After that, I doubt I'll be doing much work on this project again. If by some miracle I do happen to pick up the pace again someday, you'll all be the first to know of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:06 AM said:
Hey, I've got two weeks off starting tomorrow, so you may see something from me :eek:

:)
Squidge: Does this mean you found the Gex code, or would you write from scratch?

Devil N: Sorry to hear that, but good luck on the graduation project and hope you get a chance to come back to the coding scene at some point.

Devil N posted on Dec 19 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
As for Vec2X, my plan now is to clean up the code that has been written and then release what I have. I'll be off the next week, so I should have enough time then. After that, I doubt I'll be doing much work on this project again. If by some miracle I do happen to pick up the pace again someday, you'll all be the first to know of course.

I wouldn't be discouraged though. None of the other Vectrex emus had sound. I think that is kind of an important "feature". I liked the way you had the option in your emu planned to have overlay support and screen rotation to match the aspect of the vectrex. Hopefully one of these days something will come like this from one of you. Good luck.

woot.gif

It runs, and at a very good speed. I just need to implement the joypad controllers. Not that easy as, like the rest of the unit, most of it is analogue electronics. Shouldn't take too long to do though.

Must say though, it's fun recreating a game machine from just a schematic and a dump of the rom :)

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
It runs, and at a very good speed. I just need to implement the joypad controllers. Not that easy as, like the rest of the unit, most of it is analogue electronics. Shouldn't take too long to do though.

Must say though, it's fun recreating a game machine from just a schematic and a dump of the rom :)

Ooooo.... I'm waaay too excited now! I wanna see I wanna see!!

*runs around the room happily!!*

Can't wait! :)

For some reason, the test cartridge always things the joystick is held down to the left, but no doubt I can fix it :)

Still, got to give up for the day - visitors/etc :(

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2006 at 02:41 PM said:

It that running at a good speed with sound or without?

Sound isn't emulated yet, so that would be without. I'm confident I can get it working at a good speed with though, as it's actually a little too fast at the moment at the default clock speed of 200mhz :)

I'm loving bringing a games machine back to life with only a dump of the rom and the circuit schematics :)

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
Sound isn't emulated yet, so that would be without. I'm confident I can get it working at a good speed with though, as it's actually a little too fast at the moment at the default clock speed of 200mhz :)

I'm loving bringing a games machine back to life with only a dump of the rom and the circuit schematics :)

I am confident that you could do it with sound too, I know you have the skill :)

Unfortunatly you also often get distracted before things like sound are finished, I guess that is not an important feature for you :( To me I can't play a game silent.

Good luck with it though, having fun doing it is what counts.

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2006 at 08:02 PM said:

Looks like a very impressive job. Well done!
Would be great to play some vectrex games again! It's decades ago since I've last played them, I don't even know which games I liked best anymore..
Hope to try it out soon (with or without sound ;) )

Well, got into a small fight whilst out shopping, got a nice big black eye and broken cheekbone, but now I'm out of the a&e dept, I'm back to coding :) Might as well do something whilst I can't chew with half my mouth! :D

So, here's a small version of my vectrex emu... No menu, no rom functions, no sound, but at least you can play Minestorm :)

Stick it on yer SD and try it out!

a/b/x/y emulates the vectrex's 4 buttons, and the joypad emulates the analog joystick.

Have fun.

Download gex2x.zip

Ooooh.... gimme gimme gimme gimme...

EDIT - OK this looks very promising for the emulator! Nice work so far Squidge. I'm one happy classic fan at the moment. :)

looks great. so smooth! makes me want to try out a real vectrex. yay for analog gaming.

also, i realize this is a bit premature but: this seems like the perfect application for sub-pixel hinting, apart from a text reader. just throwing it out there. that or wu anti-aliased lines. or just straight up supersampling.

it's well beyond my ridiculously low level of coding. so sorry if sound like an ungrateful bastard. this emu already rocks and it doesn't even open roms yet! :D

Back