Using a Pyra as a 4g modem?

If I recall correctly, the 4G bits are the most expensive component set in the Pyra. It makes the 4G system/keyboard part cost nearly as much as the SoC/RAM/eMMC module parts costs.

At work we have to replace a lot of wireless microphones+receivers per January 1st 2020 because of 5G...
Wait, $work != $Intelligence_agency, or is it?
Most of our audio stuff at $work is voip, except the intercom, which needs to be reliable for emergencies we use good ol'fashioned cables and a UPS for that. And SMS will keep working, so beepers are unaffected.

Most of our audio stuff at $work is voip, except the intercom, which needs to be reliable for emergencies we use good ol'fashioned cables and a UPS for that. And SMS will keep working, so beepers are unaffected.
High end wireless performance microphones used in schools, churches, bands and performance venues have operated for many years in a wireless spectrum that was recently taken back by the FCC and re-sold to wireless phone carriers.
https://www.avisystems.com/blog/5-things-to-know-about-new-regulations-for-wireless-mics
No compensation or buy back for people who spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on these products has been offered. A single vocal rig like this cost $450 for example:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XSW65-B--sennheiser-xsw-65-vocal-set-b-range-614-636-mhz
As of July 31st of this year, operation of that unit becomes illegal within the US. Anyone outside the US want to buy a modestly used and quite loved Sennheiser XSW65-B wireless mic and base station? I bought that one for $450 in December of 2013 as a Christmas gift for my wife.

So, I am obviously not happy with the FCC decision to re-sell already allocated and licensed wireless spectrum. Compared to a lot of others, though, I only have the one mic/station that I have to replace. A lot of churches and clubs have 6+ of these. Some sort of device-buyback paid for out of a portion of the billions the FCC got for re-selling the spectrum would have been appropriate.

What would happen if you just used it anyway? They should get together a class action lawsuit. If that means 5G doesn't happen, too bad. This makes me mad that they would cost people that much money for no good reason.

Hehe! I'd wish, I work at the Amsterdam University of Arts at the academy for Theater and Dance.

No compensation or buy back for people who spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on these products has been offered.
Same here with the bands 614 through 791 MHz going to mobile communication

What would happen if you just used it anyway?

My guess is both the 5G and the wireless mics won't work reliable anymore... Last thing I'd want is phone interference on a mic during a piece...

Last edited:
There's a keyboard on the other side of the board. You can't simply cut and rejoin that.

You are totally right :)

I suppose modem on separate card would require a different design (no bigger case, but different distribution inside).

On other side my ideal design would put CPU board on upper part, under display (separated by insulator), and it would use an aluminum cover on top display part so it runs as big radiator, even with small finss in surface to extend radiation surface. In this way we separate hottest part from our hands and from battery, and it would have a big radiator to dissipate heat efficiently. Of course this is only dreaming, and I will be happy when I got my Pyra, now with that perfect matte black case :)

Last edited:
Back