Reseller for 4G modem

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I have found a seemingly reputable reseller for the US 4G modem, they may also sell the EU one I am not sure. @EvilDragon you may want to give these people a look, just in case there aren't enough 4G orders to justify buying 500 of each type.

http://www.wivia.com/p/productid-138/cinterion-pls8-us

http://www.wivia.com/page/why-us

EDIT: They have the E version too: http://www.wivia.com/p/productid-137/cinterion-pls8-e
[doublepost=1462568895,1462568355][/doublepost]Their Contact Us button appears to be invisible, but if you click beneath the Worldwide text, you should get to the right page.

I have found a seemingly reputable reseller for the US 4G modem, they may also sell the EU one I am not sure. @EvilDragon you may want to give these people a look, just in case there aren't enough 4G orders to justify buying 500 of each type.

http://www.wivia.com/p/productid-138/cinterion-pls8-us

http://www.wivia.com/page/why-us

EDIT: They have the E version too: http://www.wivia.com/p/productid-137/cinterion-pls8-e
[doublepost=1462568895,1462568355][/doublepost]Their Contact Us button appears to be invisible, but if you click beneath the Worldwide text, you should get to the right page.
I would prefer the WiFi version, as I will and have to take my mobile phone all the time, it will be easy to setup a hotspot by the phone for the Pyra.

Is it really necessary to have a LTE Pyra?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would prefer the WiFi version, as I will and have to take my mobile phone all the time, it will be easy to setup a hotspot by the phone for the Pyra.

Well, I did order one. I hate most phones, I plan to use the Pyra as one, however ridiculous I look doing it. That way I only need to carry one device. Also, in the US they charge you extra to use your phone as a hotspot.

Well, I did order one. I hate most phones, I plan to use the Pyra as one, however ridiculous I look doing it. That way I only need to carry one device. Also, in the US they charge you extra to use your phone as a hotspot.
That's really different with Chinese carriers, here is no limitations on hotspot, and pure data accout is more expensive than voice+data accout - typically 1GB+1000 minutes per month cost 100 CNY(~$15); pure 1GB takes 80 CNT per month.

I also would like to use Pyra as an all-in-one device, but this is too ambitious at current stage.

You only need the LTE if you also want GPS, accelerometer, compass, and barometer. These are things that you can easily do without if you have a phone anyway.

It isn't necessary to have any Pyra, however the 4G sales are currently the majority. The problem is that the MOQ is 500, and the US version isn't close to reaching that number by any stretch of the imagination.

[QUOTE="Ted, post: 1377353, member: 66808"
[/QUOTE]

LTE Pyra is why I want the Pyra, portable without relying on Mobile Phone and having a separate provider which will supply me with internet also GPS and
various other things that come with the 4G Pyra will be handy!

Tethering uses quite a lot of battery also.

It isn't necessary to have any Pyra, however the 4G sales are currently the majority. The problem is that the MOQ is 500, and the US version isn't close to reaching that number by any stretch of the imagination.
To be honest, I'm not understand the difference(s) between US and EU LTE?
My phone is Samsung galaxy s5 G900F, it works with China Unicom FDD-LTE, and it also works great when I roaming in UK, with Vodafone, T-mobile's 4G LTE network.
What will happen if I bring this phone to USA?
Actually I purchased this phone from US Amazon (not Amazon market). It should able to use it in USA, right?

[QUOTE="Ted, post: 1377353, member: 66808"

LTE Pyra is why I want the Pyra, portable without relying on Mobile Phone and having a separate provider which will supply me with internet also GPS and
various other things that come with the 4G Pyra will be handy!

Tethering uses quite a lot of battery also.[/QUOTE]
All-in-one will be great, but sometimes it cannot be that perfect and has to be compromised due to practical reason(s), detailed reason maybe various.
Also, a device with LTE enabled will eat battery faster than a pure WiFi device, such as Android tablets.
Is it possible to have a 2nd Pyra battery and a charger, then replace the battery in field?

To be honest, I'm not understand the difference(s) between US and EU LTE?
My phone is Samsung galaxy s5 G900F, it works with China Unicom FDD-LTE, and it also works great when I roaming in UK, with Vodafone, T-mobile's 4G LTE network.
What will happen if I bring this phone to USA?
Actually I purchased this phone from US Amazon (not Amazon market). It should able to use it in USA, right?

The US uses different FDDs and frequencies. You definitely would have no 3G or 4G, but you may or may not have 2G

Didn't ED say something somewhere about bad experience regarding component resellers, and not be willing to use those? IIRC, it had to do with opened packaging and the parts gathering some water from air humidity or something. ?
Still an option to consider, if there's no other way. Moist parts can be pre-baked, can't they.

That's really different with Chinese carriers, here is no limitations on hotspot, and pure data accout is more expensive than voice+data accout - typically 1GB+1000 minutes per month cost 100 CNY(~$15); pure 1GB takes 80 CNT per month.

I also would like to use Pyra as an all-in-one device, but this is too ambitious at current stage.

From what I've seen, to tether is $15 extra. I'm not paying that.
[doublepost=1462631338,1462631248][/doublepost]
Didn't ED say something somewhere about bad experience regarding component resellers, and not be willing to use those? IIRC, it had to do with opened packaging and the parts gathering some water from air humidity or something. ?
Still an option to consider, if there's no other way. Moist parts can be pre-baked, can't they.
I would hope he would at least consider this, if there's not enough orders to meet the MOQ. Wivia has a warranty on their chips. He should at least check them out.

There not supposed to anymore if they don't want to get in trouble with the FCC. Most get around that by charging extra for the built in app on subsidized phones.
Well yeah, but any generic tethering app requires a rooted phone, wich I can't do because Android Pay refuses to run on those.

Is it possible to have a 2nd Pyra battery and a charger, then replace the battery in field?
Yes, this is one of the major features that many of us expect, and why we prefer the Pyra over other products. I don't use it much with my Pandora, due to how long the battery lasts, however I like having the option.

Well yeah, but any generic tethering app requires a rooted phone, wich I can't do because Android Pay refuses to run on those.
Don't you love when the software tells you what to do?

Tethering uses quite a lot of battery also.
Yeah the Phone runs out of Power much sooner than the Pyra/Pandora, and recharching it via USB is suboptimal too.

You could also use an Small PowerBank for that and theoretically an SuperCap could fit inside the Pyra in the Unused Space near the Stylus Compartment.

Last edited:
Don't you love when the software tells you what to do?
Well they CLAIM it's for security reasons, as rooted software has more access to the phone. Still, it should just warn you, and then let you choose whether to continue or not.

I missed the charger part of the question. I am sure you can hack something together. Not sure if ED is planning on making one (good idea if we ever get phone functionality working reliably), however the community may come through here if he isn't. So, in the short term, keeping your spare battery charged might be a problem if you are using your Pyra all the time.
[doublepost=1462640097,1462639898][/doublepost]
Well they CLAIM it's for security reasons, as rooted software has more access to the phone. Still, it should just warn you, and then let you choose whether to continue or not.
Ah, so it not only tells you what to do, but tells you that you are too stupid to make decisions. :p

Back