Ur-quan Masters 2x V1.1 (star Control Ii)

senquack

I feel a great disturbance in the source
Website
Visit site
Here is my latest version of my port of UQM to the GP2X, version 1.1: Archive link: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,2390

IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 1.1 OVER 1.0:
  • USB joystick support for 1 or 2 players, out of the box. Since the main UQM port's control configuration is not complete yet, I spent a week writing a custom control configurator. You can customize all controls for the GP2X and USB Joysticks 1 & 2. Launch "uqm2xcfg.gpe" to use it. UQM2X now has better joystick support than any other port. In fact, it has better joystick support than the native PC version itself. Joystick controls are preset for two Logitech Dual Action controllers.
  • Altered some bilinear sprite-scaling code to work properly with 16bpp surfaces. Bilinear scaling is now used for all sprite scaling. As a result, smooth-scaling mode is now full-speed and is the new default for melee fights. This includes fights in the single-player game.
  • Adjustable TV-Out support. Game now detects TV-Out mode and adjusts screen resolution appropriately for PAL/NTSC. At the main menu, you can adjust the screen centering by holding the R-trigger button and moving the stick/DPAD.
  • Mapped control for searching for star names via the starmap: press B in the starmap to bring up a prompt.
  • Mapped control for quitting super-melee mode: SELECT is the default.
  • Diagonal controls are fixed.
  • Further speed improvements to planetary lander: Smoother than ever, but RAM tweak in Genu2X MUST be enabled to see the improvements.
  • Fixed bug in main UQM branch that now correctly stops rendering of the rotating planet in background when lander is on surface.
  • Full-screen blits are now handled by a custom ARM ASM routine. TV-Out mode does now allow this, however, so a slight overclock when using TV Out might be necessary for smoothness if you play the single-player game. Melees are always full-speed no matter what.
  • Squidge's MMU hack is now loaded to speed up a few blits.
  • Internal sound mixing is now entirely done with integer math.
  • Options in the setup menu that don't work with the GP2X version are not saved. This includes control re-configuration.
  • Fixed bug where main mixer volumel was reset when volume controls are first used.
[cut]
LANGUAGE PACK USERS, take note:
You must download the latest language pack, linked below, in order to use the latest UQM2X, even if you already have older versions of it:
UQM2X Language Pack v1.2
(Adds translations for Russian, Spanish, German, Finnish)

NEW REMIXED MUSIC PACK AVAILABLE FROM ARCHIVE:
All available music that has been remixed is now re-encoded for 22050hz and ready-to-go for the GP2X: UQM2X Remixed Music Pack v1.1 It adds a lot of awesome modern remixes from some very talented musicians.

Please use this thread for any new comments. The old threads are here and here: Someone in the last thread suggested saying more about the game, next time around so here goes:

LINKs TO YOUTUBES VIDEOS W/ OPTIONAL SPEECH PACK (for SC2 newbs)
(These show PC version but this GP2X version is indistinguishable):
First 7 minutes of game
Super Melee mode showing many of game's ships fighting

NEWBIE TO SC2?? READ THIS FIRST
  • Extract the .ZIP, with full pathnames enabled, into any folder you like on your SD. Game is run by executing uqm.gpe
  • You should consider is getting the "uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm" file from here (100+MB download): http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
    The 3DO voice acting adds hours of speech to all the conversations in the game. It is very well done and adds a lot to the game, in my opinion. Place it in content/packages/ subfolder under the main game folder.
  • Download the remixed music pack I have put together if you'd like more modern music: archive link
Game description for those new to Ur Quan Masters (Star Control II):
(FROM http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/Star_Control_II):
Star Control II, the sequel to the original Star Control, is a space adventure game that features role-playing elements alongside a robust 2D combat system. It was a milestone for non-linear gaming and an undeniable influence on modern space travel games such as Homeworld; many consider it one of the best computer games of all time. The player assumes the role of the captain of a single starship wandering a detailed environment of solar systems, gradually gathering information and resources in order to defeat a mysterious and implacable enemy; the plot contains numerous mysteries and other half-explained elements that contribute to the beauty of the game, along with a rare sense of humor that manifests numerous times, inevitably having the player rolling on the floor laughing.

If you want to learn how to play, visit these two pages first:
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/First_Things_To_Do
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/Non-Spoiler_Hints

You might consider saving this (rather large) image to your SD somewhere, it's the original filled-in starmap players got with the game. It provides you with some valuable info on the layout of Hyperspace you wouldn't get otherwise: http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.c...2_color_map.jpg

Here are some screenshots:
New Supplemental Controls Configurator:
ssdv0.png

Ur-Quan slave lord
urquangx7.gif

The loooove boat
shipyardwx8.gif

Big universe out there!
starmapox1.gif

[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
The game had a great soundtrack for the time, using .MODs where other games used simpler FM style music. My port contains the additional 3DO soundtrack and its a nice blend of incredibly awesome acid-techno/industrial and ambient synthesizer music. The game can switch between 3DO and PC music in the setup menu and both are worth trying out. The game's music was the result of a contest the publisher held.

I just want to point out that it seems the 3DO soundtrack is missing in this release.

I used the one from the previous release, so it's not really a problem for me. :p

BTW, superb update. Good work, Senor Quack. :lol:

Maybe I really really really need to get myself a cradle now.. :)

Again, great update.

Also, I just finished the game yesterday. The only problems I had were of my batteries dieing on me (once on the ending credits, and I hadn't saved! Even though I've finished the game beyond countless ammounts of times already, I just had to finish it 'properly'.. :p), so yes, stable game. :)

Manjuu said:
Senor Quack said:
The game had a great soundtrack for the time, using .MODs where other games used simpler FM style music. My port contains the additional 3DO soundtrack and its a nice blend of incredibly awesome acid-techno/industrial and ambient synthesizer music. The game can switch between 3DO and PC music in the setup menu and both are worth trying out. The game's music was the result of a contest the publisher held.

I just want to point out that it seems the 3DO soundtrack is missing in this release.

I used the one from the previous release, so it's not really a problem for me. :p

BTW, superb update. Good work, Senor Quack. :lol:
Thanks for the compliments everyone ;)

Thanks for pointing that out, I changed it. No, I no longer include the 3DO soundtrack.. You can use the old one, of course, but I have simply thought everyone would either use the .MODs included with the base game, or use my new Remix Pack: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,2451

I might put together a 3DO remix pack if necessary, but I doubt many people would prefer it over the new remix pack.

Awesome news! I was more than happy with the previous version!!!!

Am I correct in thinking I should leave the file in content\packages\addons\uqmremix called uqm2x-remixes-v11.zip zipped up ?

simonb said:
Awesome news! I was more than happy with the previous version!!!!

Am I correct in thinking I should leave the file in content\packages\addons\uqmremix called uqm2x-remixes-v11.zip zipped up ?
Right, that is intended to be left alone, UQM will mount the zip internally as a directory if you run uqm2xrmx.gpe to get the remixed music.

Sounds like a huge Update, very nice.

I have some questions. At the Ur-Quan Wiki I have seen some pix of some kind of ingame Ship-Database. Is this really a part of the game and how can I get in?
And, when I make a melee fight with AI vs. AI (funny to watch :D ) how can I go back to the menu without waiting till the fight is over?

fusion_power said:
Sounds like a huge Update, very nice.

I have some questions. At the Ur-Quan Wiki I have seen some pix of some kind of ingame Ship-Database. Is this really a part of the game and how can I get in?
And, when I make a melee fight with AI vs. AI (funny to watch :D ) how can I go back to the menu without waiting till the fight is over?
SELECT is now the quick-exit button. No matter where you are in the game, even in cyborg battles, even with USB joysticks (once you've mapped it properly)

Finally got around to playing it again, so far I've only encountered one little snag: the opening sequence when starting the game has no text.

emphy said:
Finally got around to playing it again, so far I've only encountered one little snag: the opening sequence when starting the game has no text.
I just downloaded UQM2X 1.1 off the archive, extracted it onto a fresh SD, and started the game to check this out but it works fine. Right after it displays "Interstellar Frungy League", it should explain the open source bit, then move into talking about the underground factory. All of it displays fine for me.

Are you using my add-on language pack by chance?

Senor Quack said:
Are you using my add-on language pack by chance?
Nope, it seems that some older paks were interfering. I just did a fresh install and everything is fine now.

Back