The Ur-quan Masters

icurafu posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:53 PM said:
haplo posted on Dec 16 2005 at 04:37 AM said:
hmm
the starcon 1 roms i ve found so far run slow under sega emu and dont draw in game overlays (ship health + full or ship select menus), still, it does work so it can probably be improved
coool

It runs slow on the PC as well. (gens) ..... Strange.

I have the cartidge. It runs slow on a real Genesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having a slightly different prob - it gets to the title screen and then just appears to hang. I waited 10 minutes just to be sure. Sure does look pretty, though. Another thing, is the lack of saving due to not quite having non-linux SD writes sorted out yet?

Allan.

Well, it's kind of strange, and I think it's actually some kind of bug..

You see, the Windows UQM displays the credits after a few minutes of idling in the main menu..
On my GP2X, I got the credits after about 1.5 minutes of looking at the loading screen...

I got it working, yes. The cracking of the speakers is normal (and probably indicates that it works properly :p)..
What I did was just remove my existing copy and follow the instructions Loki gave. That seemed to work. FW 2.0, MKII GP2x. 1GB SD (pretty slow one, I think)..

However, the speed of the loading in the game is pretty horrid. Takes about 20 seconds to load a ship in Melee (it loads a ship right after you selected it to go in battle). Sound only has about a 0.3second lag, though, which is MUCH better than on the GP2X version of 0.4. Speed also seems to have improved. No more stutteryness when you pump out some pellets with your Pkunk Fury...

I was able to get the previous version working, and save games worked fine. If they don't work in the new version, I don't think I'll upgrade until they do.

Well, I just can't get this to work.

I have unzipped the zip to sd root and put the content file in the packages directory, using uqm-0.5.0-r1.zip and uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm on firmware 2.0.

Have installed SDL library. Would other software installed on my card effect this?

When I run the game, I get faint lines running up sthe screen and a flash of one bbright line in the middle. I have left this sitting for ten minutes thinking it might be very slow to load as someone suggested.

I have been over this whole thread twice trying everyones suggestions to no avail. I wanted to try the previous version but can't find where to download it.

Can anyone shed any further light?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi Nick

I had some problems getting this to work too, but I did get it working eventually and I am using the latest firmware. I think the problem was for me that the launch file was case sensitive. The files on my card are stored like this:

games\uqm folder contains: help.txt, keys.cfg, readme.txt, uqm, uqm.cfg, uqm.gpe
games\uqm\content folder contains: version
games\uqm\content\packages folder contains: uqm-0.4.2-content.uqm

There are also 2 other folders: games\uqm\teams and games\uqm\save that are both empty.

The last 2 folders were created by the game when I ran it, I think.

However, I do not understand this game at all so haven't got very far with it although it looks very interesting.

WhizzBang posted on Sep 16 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
games\uqm folder contains: help.txt, keys.cfg, readme.txt, uqm, uqm.cfg, uqm.gpe
games\uqm\content folder contains: version
games\uqm\content\packages folder contains: uqm-0.4.2-content.uqm

Thanks very much for that. I think you must have the previous version of the game which I can't get hold of because when I unzip the games/uqm folder does not contain some of the files you seem to have, namely:

help.tx, readme.txt, uqm.cfg

and I have in there: rtems_trampoline (WTF?!) and uqm.png (icon file) which you don't.

I don't know, I might have to wait for the next version :-(

I really, really love this game - unfortunately I found it painfully slow - and I'm not talking specifically about loading times. When the game actually started it took so long for it to load up menus and such, and I'm pretty sure it crashed after a while, too. Does this stuff happen with anyone else? Or is it because I haven't upgraded to 2.0 from 1.4 yet? :)

Allan.

Kikura posted on Sep 16 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
I have unzipped the zip to sd root and put the content file in the packages directory, using uqm-0.5.0-r1.zip and uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm on firmware 2.0.

Have installed SDL library. Would other software installed on my card effect this?

When I run the game, I get faint lines running up sthe screen and a flash of one bbright line in the middle. I have left this sitting for ten minutes thinking it might be very slow to load as someone suggested.

Nick

Have exactly the same problem, I remember installing the old version which worked.... but now...

I did rename the file to content.uqm as mentioned in the archive.gp2x.de Ur-quan download page. Did you?

T.

trixom posted on Sep 16 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
I did rename the file to content.uqm as mentioned in the archive.gp2x.de Ur-quan download page. Did you?

T.

Yes I did, I forgot to mention that. Well, at least I'm not the only one. Frustrating though, since some people do get it to work on the same firmware.

I wonder if loki666 would mind posting the older version again on the archive. It might be buggy and slow, but I wouldn't mind trying it out for myself all the same.

Nick

Thanks very much for that! Got it working perfectly now! Hopefully some others will too :)

Nick

Back