Upgrade to DM3730

Sielle

Still Fresh
Ok, if I remember correctly the Pandora board was designed for a pretty much drop in update of design (note: design change, not user upgrade) from the OMAP3530 to the DM3730. Meaning that R&D would be minimal if not non-existent (simply needing to be tested).

I see that the beagleboard's are shipping DM3730 boards so they're apparently available somewhere.

With that in mind, what's the likely-hood of the Pandora being upgraded to the DM3730? I'd be willing to even pay a premium over the current price of $500 to get the updated chip, or even pay for a full on eval unit if they're available in limited quantities and there's a need for Beta Testers. Thanks.

about as likely as you getting one DM3730 board made from CC

Here's the fairly official statement on the matter

Ahh I didn't see that when I did a search. Then again I was searching by chip specs and this post didn't come up.

At any rate, this answers my question and I thank you for that. :) (with a lead time of over 6 months even if they did order them today, I don't have to worry about it being overshadowed the day it's delivered)

Nothing more to see here, move along move along.

Short answer: They looked into it, and the lead time to get the parts is too long, greater than 6 months.

You guys ready for the next "you guys should upgrade the Pandora" thread? It'll be here in about a day or two.

jeez, you guys make me look like the nice guy around here

I'm sorry!!! <pouts and sobs>

I did actually search but didn't see anything listed (I foolishly searched in General Talk for the chip models and not a more open search term). It was just a question. :(

<curls up in a little ball and hopes people stop beating him up soon> ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
youre ok, at least you didnt ask for phone capabilities, a gyroscope, or a 2nd screen for nds emulation

Oh... raises another question. What about NDS emulation? I read from your post that emulating the 2nd display is the problem. BUT I have a nice solution for it. I will only disclose it to a programer who seriously wants to tackle such an emu.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love these boards. This is actually the closest I've seen these last years to a civilized place on the 'net. Where else is there this latitude in topics and behaviour and, actually, general tolerance. I mean, we have threads that derail even into politics or religion, that - completely unheard of on the rest of the internets - potters on for a few posts, people state their opposing opinions, and...then they agree to disagree, and get on with stuff?!? It is amazing.

Yes, we (I) throw hissy fits every now and then. But they, too, usually just pass. Amazing. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Oh... raises another question. What about NDS emulation? I read from your post that emulating the 2nd display is the problem. BUT I have a nice solution for it. I will only disclose it to a programer who seriously wants to tackle such an emu.
Without being disrespectful, whatever your idea is, has probably been montioned either her or the other forums before. I'm sure that once there are more units in the wild, and people have time to mess around with it, that we will se *some* form of emu, even if it can't properly play due to hardware (CPU/RAM) limitations.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love these boards. This is actually the closest I've seen these last years to a civilized place on the 'net. Where else is there this latitude in topics and behaviour and, actually, general tolerance. I mean, we have threads that derail even into politics or religion, that - completely unheard of on the rest of the internets - potters on for a few posts, people state their opposing opinions, and...then they agree to disagree, and get on with stuff?!? It is amazing.

Yes, we (I) throw hissy fits every now and then. But they, too, usually just pass. Amazing. :wub: :wub: :wub:
+1

Without being disrespectful, whatever your idea is, has probably been montioned either her or the other forums before. I'm sure that once there are more units in the wild, and people have time to mess around with it, that we will se *some* form of emu, even if it can't properly play due to hardware (CPU/RAM) limitations.

I do believe CreatureXL is being ironic here. :p

I do believe CreatureXL is being ironic here. :p
Oh, sorry, I have a bad habit of only reading the posts in a lot of threads as they come up, and forgetting that DaMummy's post was just before it, took it for a genuine question. :unsure:

A NDS emulator would probably run on the pandora, but would be pushing its limits. On the PSP the last I tried it's NDS emulator was getting 4-8FPS on most games, with a Dynarec.

A NDS emulator would probably run on the pandora, but would be pushing its limits. On the PSP the last I tried it's NDS emulator was getting 4-8FPS on most games, with a Dynarec.

Sure, but the PSP's cpu is only 333MHz, and it's only got 32MB RAM. I'm not saying it's possible, but... :unsure:

Back