Updates in all areas

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait to get the latest Pyra status?
Well, then - here are some more news :)

1. The Main PCB

The main PCB design from Nikolaus is basically finished. The Wifi chip still needs to be added, but then we're good to go for a first test run.
This should be pretty close to the production version already. For testing, the OMAP5 devboard will be connected using the CPU PCB connectors - so it's a setup that's really close to the finished unit.

Time is running short, so we probably won't have these PCBs ready for the "Lange Nacht der Computerspiele"-Event in Leipzig May 10th - but we'll put the current testing PCB into a case and connect it via HDMI to a monitor, so everyone who visits there can test a bit of what's yet to come (and the new nubs, of course :) )

The time has come for Nikolaus to start working on the CPU PCB.

2. Testing the new displays

Nikolaus designed a new display PCB which has the Solomon Tech. Chip included that will do the rotation.
It will also have two different LCD connecters, as we'll receive two 720p LCDs for testing in about 2 weeks.
Both are A LOT cheaper than the FullHD display as well (in fact, they're even cheaper than Pandoras LCD...) and have a good refresh rate based on the datasheet - but we'll test that so we can choose the best one we can get.

Once the displays are there, I'll do some highspeed videos comparing these LCDs and the Pandora LCD regarding ghosting.

3. Improving the hinge area

In the current case design we're using the same hinge as before - but the plastics will be improved so that it becomes more stable and stays in every angle.
However, that's only half a workaround, as (based on usage), the plastics will wear out after a while, and even if it takes years because the plastic is pretty thorough, it will happen at some time.

So while this is an acceptable solution (way better than the current Pandora one), we're still trying to improve that!
We've found a couple of companies specialized on hinges, and they've got a few laptop-like small ones off-the-shelf.

The case designer is currently checking whether these do fit, and if not, we'll checkout if it's affordable to have a custom-one made from them.
I'll keep you informed how that'll work out!

4. Case design

As you already know, a basic case design is finished that's good enough for testing the available space for the CPU PCB as well as seeing how well the main PCB does fit in.
Of course, it's far from being finished, and while Nikolaus will use that one to continue working on his PCBs, the case designers are working on the remaining details.

They'll now work to implement the logo in the lid, add the shoulder buttons and do some minor tweaks of issues we found (though those actually are not many!)
First they'll finish the keymat design though, as that's needed to find a company that produces the keymats for us.

I've added some nice hires shots of the current 3D printed case for you :)

Back.JPG

gesamt.JPG

nubs.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job

Nice round up and sprinkling of new news :) looking good, things are moving along nicely it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Testing the new displays

You are really making it hard for me to care that we are losing a FullHD display. :lol:

3. Improving the hinge area

We've found a couple of companies specialized on hinges, and they've got a few laptop-like small ones off-the-shelf.

The case designer is currently checking whether these do fit, and if not, we'll checkout if it's affordable to have a custom-one made from them.

I'll keep you informed how that'll work out!
Cool.

4. Case design

As you already know, a basic case design is finished that's good enough for testing the available space for the CPU PCB as well as seeing how well the main PCB does fit in.
How about the battery? Have you tested the space for it yet?

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see how the CPU PCB works out.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the battery as well - any update on how the regular and larger batteries go with the case?

Great work to all involved. I can't believe this is coming along so quickly. Before we know it, the ordering link will be appearing, I can't wait :lol:

Chris

The nubs look very smooth and operable the way they stick out of the case :)

Looks like a step up to the already comfortable panda nubs.

Anyone else thinking that the space to the right of the SD card slots looks a bit empty?

Obviously we can't put more electronic stuff there (because of the 3G antenna and such).

How about a slight recess where you can put a sticker with a logo and model number (since the same case may well be used for different CPU-board versions) - or the owner can write their name?

2. Testing the new displays Nikolaus designed a new display PCB which has the Solomon Tech. Chip included that will do the rotation. It will also have two different LCD connecters, as we'll receive two 720p LCDs for testing in about 2 weeks. Both are A LOT cheaper than the FullHD display as well (in fact, they're even cheaper than Pandoras LCD...) and have a good refresh rate based on the datasheet - but we'll test that so we can choose the best one we can get. Once the displays are there, I'll do some highspeed videos comparing these LCDs and the Pandora LCD regarding ghosting.
That is great news!  WIth the price of the 720p display being so much lower than the FullHD and even the Pandora LCD, I imagine that the bank will be in considerably less pain.  ;)

-Glyph Reader

No I think he means that once the Pyra comes out he will use it to power his Time Machine, go back to christmas and give it to himself as a present, thus creating a paradox of why he would go back in time to give himself a Pyra if he got one at last christmas. Or why he didn't share any info on the thru-time delivered Pyra and instead kept it all to himself playing games and having awesomeness in a pocket.

Back