• 15.5cm

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 16.0cm = 6.3inches

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Before meaningful Pyra concept drawings can be made, one needs to know how big, and what shape the device should be.

In the above poll, please vote for any sizes you would be happy with.

For reference, the pandora is 14.0cm x 8.34cm x 2.75cm

This is purely from a convenience standpoint - what you feel comfortable using and carrying around - not what would be necessary for fit in x piece of electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
We, Americans, rarely use cm.  Can you put inches next to each?  Sorry, I'm lazy    :)

Also, change the Pandora reference dimensions to the same units as the poll so it's easier to, uh, reference :)

That better?

I trust you can do simple linear interpolation in your head for the ones I haven't converted :p

Voted.  Thanks :)

For me, width and depth of the 3DSXL is good.  Height can be a little thicker for vertically-placed R1R2 and L1L2

Is there really any point to this?  ED clearly already has a pretty good concept of what the Pyra is going to be, including the size. 

- Neelix

The actual size of the Pandora is fine, but, if the Pyra goes to be __*a little bit bigger*__ there's no problem for me.

1 cm is the __maximum__ for both width & depth

I say we need another poll to decide if this poll is valid or not.

Mmmm....  Each dimension means less when considered individually - particularly the combined thickness and depth as those create the cross sectional area - those two combined define how small a pocket it can 'fit' in.

The existing Pandora's thickness (29.25mm) and depth (83.48mm) create a cross-sectional volume of 2441.79 mm^2.  I consider this to be a critical maximum - any larger and it no longer fits in a shirt pocket - which is relevant if you're a guy (me) wearing dress shirts (me) on long flights (me) listening to music on your Pandora (me) while eating whatever the airlines are trying to pass off as a snack meal on the fold-out table.  So, yes this is a personal thing that I'd like the Pyra to not exceed that cross sectional area.  

So...

If it is going to grow in depth, then it needs to get a bit thinner.

Width is far more forgiving.  The current Pandora is 140.29mm wide.  Adding width is easy - to a point.  The restriction winds up being, "How wide can the device be and still be thumb-typable?  I.e. how wide can it be and still let people with smallish hands use it properly?  I have big hands.  I would be fine with it being upwards of 16cm (160mm) wide.

Maybe re-state the poll?  What we really need is, "What is the maximum -MeasurementDimension- that you would accept?"  and "What is the minimum -MeasurementDimension- that you would accept?"

However, it really all comes down to:

What is the smallest size that the lid can be and still fit around the screen?  That dictates the width and depth of the device.

Once we know the lid dimensions - dictated by the screen dimensions - then the thickness is, "as thin as possible with the hardware that has to be in it."

What we really need is, "What is the maximum -MeasurementDimension- that you would accept?" and "What is the minimum -MeasurementDimension- that you would accept?"
Isn't that just the logical inverse of what I've done?

You look at where the votes start to drop away at either end of the scales, and you've got the maxima and minima.

After thinking about it some more, maybe 6.3inches width wouldn't be so bad.

The existing Pandora's thickness (29.25mm) and depth (83.48mm) create a cross-sectional volume of 2441.79 mm^2.  I consider this to be a critical maximum - any larger and it no longer fits in a shirt pocket - which is relevant if you're a guy (me) wearing dress shirts (me) on long flights (me) listening to music on your Pandora (me) while eating whatever the airlines are trying to pass off as a snack meal on the fold-out table.
You can fit a Pandora in a shirt pocket, especially with a headphone connector inserted? How big are your shirts ? ;)

Inside jacket pocket is more achievable, although sartorially speaking the weight of the device distorting the lines of your jacket are more of an issue there.

You can fit a Pandora in a shirt pocket, especially with a headphone connector inserted? How big are your shirts ? ;)
Yes. Barely. Just the bottom portion up to the headphone jack - which sticks out over the top edge of the pocket. My shirts are fairly big - I'm a 2XLT guy.
When I'm done with a flight it goes right back into my carry on bag. I don't walk down the street that way. I have tried to carry my Pandora in my inner suit coat pocket - you're right, the weight messes with it.

To be a 'wearable' computer it would almost need a Miami Vice style shoulder rig.

As a summary, the voters in this poll think that the device should be very slightly smaller in all dimensions but width, where is should be slightly larger.

Back