Release Ultima 4 (xu4)

You need to prefix the build to /mnt/utmp/xu4 that will put everything where the program will find it.

If it doesn't work then, there is indeed a problem with where the midis are stored.

If you want to experiment further, you can take my pnd and replace all the files in it and repack. Check if everything works then. But delete the midis from your os first.

Of course, if you get a working pnd with music, I will give the maintainership on the repo to you, so you can upload etc and delete me from this :)

Of course, if you get a working pnd with music, I will give the maintainership on the repo to you, so you can upload etc and delete me from this :)

I only have sporadic internet access. Did you build from SVN? I would like to work from the same source package. I am trying to cannot download svn with a borrowed windows PC. Damn sourceforge does not give me a tarred version of the svn and the only source download is beta3.

EDIT:cool 8kb utility found that can download a svn tree! http://downloadsvn.codeplex.com/

checking out

https://xu4.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xu4/trunk

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded almost all of the trunk, only u4unpackexe failed to build but it is unneeded.

Running u4 from the build tree works fine, with tracker (.it) music. The tracker music is much better than the MIDI version and much more compact than the mp3 music.

I prefixed the build to /mnt/utmp/xu4 and make install from the makefile generates bin, lib and share directories and I copied these into mcobits PND using PNDTools and then updated the PXML with a new version number. Putting this PND into menu/ on SD gives me a new menu entry, but clicking this yields nothing.

pnd_run /media/GAMES/pandora/xu4-u4-1894.pnd returns

Starting the application (scripts/u4.sh) [ FAILED]

Missing config.xml .

I do not yet understand how mcobits PND generates the directories that it creates in appdata and /mnt/utmp. My /mnt/utmp just contains bin, lib and share but mcobits' contains many more files including mid, scripts, README etc. Confusing indeed.

EDIT Would anyone object if we included the freely distributable ulrima4.zip in the package? I am afraid that many pandora users will not take the trouble to download ultima4.zip and copy it to appdata.

I still have the original Ultima 4 cloth map. This game was inspiring.

EDIT: Now my PND errors with cannot find config.xml, although my version has it under lib/u4 just like mcobits.

To test whether PNDTools is the source of the problem, i loaded mcobits' xu4-u4-1893.pnd and clicked "create pnd" and saved to xu4-u4-1893b.pnd. Then i ran

pnd_run /media/mmcblk1p1/xu4-u4-1893b.pnd

which errored with

xu4: error: Failed to open file charset.ega for reading.

EDIT: OKAY WORKS NOW. Instead of using bin/ and lib/ i just copied the working build I had into the root dir of the PND and now xu4 finds everything it needs. I have a PND that runs and includes the ultima4. data right in the pnd, but I dont know if I can share it here. This http://www.thatfleminggent.com/ultima/boomer.txt seems to indicate we could distribute it in a PND just fine.

But to make a GPL PND without the Ultima4 game data, my problem now is that the u4 binary sits in /mnt/utmp/xu4 and expects the ultima4.zip files to be in /mnt/utmp/xu4/ultima4 not in /media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4/ultima4. How is this supposed to work? Can I make u4.sh symlink that dir?

It seems to progress nicely, thank you for your hard work! I love this game, and I may give it another go with your upcoming version! :)

But to make a GPL PND without the Ultima4 game data, my problem now is that the u4 binary sits in /mnt/utmp/xu4 and expects the ultima4.zip files to be in /mnt/utmp/xu4/ultima4 not in /media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4/ultima4. How is this supposed to work? Can I make u4.sh symlink that dir?
Once the PND xu4 is mounted, these 2 directories are the same (/media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4 is bind-mounted on top of /mnt/utmp/xu4)

Yes, as sebt 3 said, the /mnt/utmp/xu4 directory is the mounted pnd file. The appdata directory is an overlay of that, if the pnd is mounted, but writeable.

The startupscript should create all the folders in there on first startup.

Look for a cp -n command.

As folders, that are already existant in the pnd cannot be written to in appdata, as long as you don't create them, a standardconfiguration needs to be copied to the appdata on first startup.

Once the PND xu4 is mounted, these 2 directories are the same (/media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4 is bind-mounted on top of /mnt/utmp/xu4)
Achaa. I hacked the source to pull ultima4.zip /media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4/ultima4. This version seems to work fine for me. It creates a new program icon in the menu because the app is versioned with a new number. Remove the old xu4 first if you want to try this.

Attachment is xu4 pnd with working tr music, without original game data from ultima4.zip.

TODO:

- The sound effects are not normalized (some sounds too quiet)

- Music level settings default to 100% - change to 40%

- Towns it file (towne_2.it) sounds pretty bad, cello too loud and annoying

- Hide SDL cursor in fullscreen mode?

- Use omap3 sdl in fullscreen (not really needed, is it?)

EDIT: Deleted attachment

Should I give you permissions to upload your pnd over mine on the repo? You just have to keep the same packageid than my pnd had.

Should I give you permissions to upload your pnd over mine on the repo? You just have to keep the same packageid than my pnd had.
I would then revert the number to 1893 and just increase the build number? I can take this over.. you have so many.

But since this is my first PND it would be nice to have some feedback before uploading to the repo. Thnks all

I would then revert the number to 1893 and just increase the build number? I can take this over.. you have so many.

But since this is my first PND it would be nice to have some feedback before uploading to the repo. Thnks all

You probably get more feedback by uploading it on the repo - it has a beta tag for that.

Many users (like myself) use PNDManager to find and install new apps, so this increases the downloads and feedback.

Yes, thats right.

I will grant you all rights on the pnd this evening.

Please pm me your repo. Username.

So when I need to load application data from the binary or a script, I need to refer-to /mnt/utmp/xu4 instead of /media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4, since the volume name GAMES will vary between users. Achaaa. Must make some changes now.

So when I need to load application data from the binary or a script, I need to refer-to /mnt/utmp/xu4 instead of /media/GAMES/pandora/appdata/xu4, since the volume name GAMES will vary between users. Achaaa. Must make some changes now.
That's the point of the system ;)

Yes, thats why you should prefix /mnt/utmp/pndname when building. Programs can find their files on every Pandora then.

HI! I just read mcobit's how to make a .pnd .. great intro and everything just works...what a great system!

I reverted to mcobits version and added shellscript to test for game data and prompt user with zenity to download the xu4 data if it is not found in the xu4 directory. I cannot test the wget since i dont have internet on the pandora. Also cannot upload to repo (just can modify the text) so here is the new awesome version.

xu4-u4-1893.pnd

Attachments

• xu4-u4-1893.pnd
    8.9 MB · Views: 139
Back