Release Exult Ultima 7

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Well i though this had been compiled but i couldnt find it, so here it is:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=exult.pickle

Blackgate seems to crash sometimes, but i have been able to get into the game. Maybe those with more experience with this might know the fix.

I dont have the motivation to debug it really.

This requires game data which must be purchased, for example I bought it from gog.com. Run the PND once and the appdata folder exult will be created with a bunch of sub folders to put game data in. For exmaple if you had blackgate that installed into Ultima7 you would put the all the files in Ultima7 into exult/blackgate.

Cool, thanks! I loved both of the Ultima 7 games.

What version of Exult is this based on? Also curious if you tried your build with the Roland MT-32 audio packs. I couldn't get those working with the older exult pnd.

pder: Built from SVN, i dont really know if that was included or not.

ekianjo : i couldnt find it in the repo or the gp32x archive, no matter its in the repo now ;-)

Maybe a dumb question, but the old build is more than 20MB in terms of size. This seams due to a folder called "instruments" - any clue whats the folder (and the included files of course) is about (beyond the obvious) ?

Thanks for bringing it to the repo

those are the timidity instruments, mine i just set it to use fmopl and went with it. I believe I could add timidity support by including the timidity.cfg (with the user installing instruments through the timidity pnd).

would it be (end user) configurable ? If so please include it - otherwise does anybody know, whats sound better/is closer to the original "experience" fmopl or timidity ?

Edit: any chance of seeing pentagram on the Pandora ?

Last edited by a moderator:
would it be (end user) configurable ? If so please include it - otherwise does anybody know, whats sound better/is closer to the original "experience" fmopl or timidity ?

Edit: any chance of seeing pentagram on the Pandora ?

I can't imagine timidity giving very authentic sound since the game never supported general midi. I think probably the closest experience you can get to the original is to use the audio packs you can download here:

http://exult.sourceforge.net/download.php

That will give you Roland MT-32 or Soundblaster music and effects + Soundblaster speech.

Ok, I got everything to work with the older Exult. What is there is to gain with using this version? Does it support the MT-32/Soundblaster sound???

Back