Advanced Member
Port of the xu4 engine for Ultima 4:

http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

xu41.png

- Run the app once

- Get the ultima4.zip from e.g. here:

http://www.thatfleminggent.com/ultima/u4download.html

- Put it into the appdatadirectory xu4.

- Run the app again. It should start up.

- Optionally you can get the u4upgrad.zip from

http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

and put it into the appdatadirectory too.

Generally it is advised to read the included documentation!

Get the pnd here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xu4-u4-1893

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for this port! Ultima 4 is certainly one of my favourite RPGs of all times!

By the way mcobit, I don't seem to get any music in this build. In the last XU4 snapshot, there are several music tracks, including OGG files. Is it something you removed on purpose?

hmmm. No, not on purpose. I saw the midifiles too... Ah, midimusic. Maybe try sebt3's midiinstaller. If it still doesn't work I'll have another look.

EDIT: I think I know whats wrong: The paths to datafiles are hardcoded and as we can't use /usr/lib on the nand I will have to change some paths in the source. Will have another look tomorrow, as I have my builddirectory on a virtual machine on my workpc.

ok thanks. FYI I tried the midi installer, with various options but no success. I suppose it won't work before you apply your edited changes. Thanks!

The Ultima series pioneered many computer RPG features. It is a total classic.

Mcobit, your source link gives me a 403 forbidden message. I would like to work on this - the music adds a lot!

Can you add source to the openpandora repo? Open project servers should additionally provide source downloads, IMHO...

Thanks much!

There is nothing specific to this port. You can use upstream sources :)

Also nice to see somebody wanting to improve it.

sadly i have no own internet or svn in my "prison" - using borrowed phone I save xu4-1.0beta3.tar.gz to sd, then unpack src on pandora in my cdevtools dir and run 'make' which returns:

armor.cpp:42: error 'strcasecmp' was not declared in this scope

Is this error related to the cdevtools environment or is it a problem in armor.cpp?

Now make breaks with

Imagemgr.h:105: error: extra qualification 'ImageMgr::' on member 'getSubImage'

now make breaks with

dialogueloader.cpp:14: error: 'abort' was not declared in this scope

It seems the .tar.gz from sourceforge is full of errors. Without svn access, I need a downloadable source package that BUILDS.

Can you help me mcobit?

FIXED! There were more missing includes and some unresolved ASSERTS and some undefined constants. Now i have a version that builds.

Sorry for the many posts. I did not have an EDIT post option on the cellphone i used.

I now have a version that builds so maybe the MIDI will work soon. Wish me luck.

You know, I was using sebt3's toolchain and not cdevtools to build it.

I cannot remember having any trouble building it with this.

But good to hear that you were able to do it.

Music is working!

I didnt change any paths in the xu4 source. Just compiled, installed timidity from sebt's midi installer then ran the u4 executeable from the u4 directory. It seems to work fine with freepats installed to NAND or SD, as well as the small 3MB fileset.

The small fileset sounds much worse - go for the big one if you have the space.

mcobit's build doesnt play the mids even if i put the .mid files into a mid directory under pandora/appdata. xu4 looks for the .mids in a ./mid directory under the application directory, but i do not find the current working directory of mcobits build. I dont understand enough about .pnds yet. "u4" is not in the pwd.

mcobit, maybe you just need to put the mid directory in the right place. I can share my build if it would help you.

EDIT: ARGH! Sourceforge files only had beta3 but the latest build is beta4, which uses tracker-based music instead of MIDI files. This is actually a good thing, since the .mid files do not sound anything like the original AppleII mockingboard music.

My work so far was therefore useless. I will get svn and build that.

Back