Release Ultima 7 (exult)

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by Pickle, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

Ive refreshed the exult pnd for playing ultima 7 and seperent isle.
    Its based on the latest git and uses SDL2. I built it with codeblocks and left everything default.

So this means it looks for data under <appdata>/share/exult now instead of the root.
    PND Link

Music and SFX are found below. Extract contents to <appdata>/share/exult
    Music SFX Link

Note: the intro video is causing a segfault, for now just hit escape before it runs.
    Note 2: exult does work with the gog releases.

Sourceforge Download Page for Exult

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Tags:
    gunrock, ElPoco, alxm and 3 others like this.
  2. Michoko

Michoko Member

Thank you! :)

3. ElPoco

ElPoco Very Active Member

Nice, I've finished both U7 and Serpent Isle on my Pandora with the earlier version of your pnd :)

4. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

good to hear, myself I only finished U7. Started serpent isle but didnt get back to it.

5. gunrock

gunrock Active Member

Thanks for this @Pickle. Just went off and bought the Ultima Collection from Ebay.

6. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

@gunrock well i hope it didnt cost that much. You can get all the ultima dirt cheap on gog.com. They also go on sale pretty often.

7. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

If you fix this typo (or at least clarify exactly what you meant) it may help

8. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

Thanks, I think my brain shutoff when i wrote that :) I think i was trying to say it will work with just the old dos files from the gog releases.

levi likes this.
  9. gunrock

gunrock Active Member

Well, when I looked on GOG it was around 40 DKK which is about 5 GBP (I still convert everything back to quid) and the sealed, Ultima Collection was 30 USD. I prefer physical, plus it has all the other Ultima's on it, if I ever fancy playing IV, etc.

However, in the Spring sale I see its now less than 10 DKK, which is just over 1 GBP and Im starting to get buyer's remorse!

10. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

well you can get both and keep your hard copy sealed :)

edit: by the way ultima IV should still be free on gog.

gunrock likes this.
  11. gunrock

gunrock Active Member

Thanks @Pickle, I have done as uou suggested, seemed a pretty good idea, but I won't keep the Ultima Collection sealed, I'll probably sell it. I didn't want for collecting, I just prefer physical as I can always pass it on at a loss (or occasionally a profit).

12. Arkay Firestar

Arkay Firestar Member

Pickle, I’m so sorry, I’ve tried every possible way to place the GOG data files, I still get the error that data wasn’t found. Is it not in the .exult hidden folders? They auto generate, like the CFG, and have a sub folder in each game folder, called gamedat?

DrasticNerd likes this.
  13. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

i will post some more specific details where the data files are

14. DrasticNerd

DrasticNerd Long time lurker, Forum newbie

help me pickle! I have the GOG release and every time I try to run Exult, it states it cant find the data files. Where do I put them? I followed the instructions by creating a blackgate folder under exult and it doesn't work. Also tried the folder in the hidden .exult subfolder. What do I do now?

15. DrasticNerd

DrasticNerd Long time lurker, Forum newbie

UPDATE: So after reading the included instructions (which are out of date), the details provided by @Pickle earlier in this thread AND after extracting the PND and studying the paths, I copied the GOG files into 5 different locations on my SD card (Why 5? I wanted to see if I could get it working first then use trial and error to gradually eliminate the locations that weren't needed), at long last I could play it on my Pandora.

I kick myself that I didn't keep careful notes when deleting the copies not needed. I can still run my game, yes, but I don't have any spoken voice. Because if I had speech on my Pandora install earlier *, I certainly don't now (Started new game to confirm) Which would appear to indicate that one of the "unnecessary" install locations on my SD card is being read by the PND for the speech - and this is not the same location that the PND reads the rest of the game data from! Which wouldn't surprise me if this did prove to be the case seeing as how unclear the locations are for this port! :|

I tried downloading the additional Exult files for digital audio etc. but still no speech in my current set up.

* (I'm sure I had speech in the game previously on my Pandora. Unless I'm confusing my memory with the GOG version installed on PC?)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 27, 2019, Original Post Date: Aug 27, 2019 ---
    @Arkay Firestar - Have you solved it yet? Let me know if not and I can at least dig out a location I found that will, at least, let you play the game on your Pandora.

I cant get speech working anymore though. (See above for details)