Uk Ds Launch

Mark posted on Mar 11 2005 at 10:02 PM said:
Dozer posted on Mar 11 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Steve-O posted on Mar 11 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
It was on Radio 1 (they were compairing the DS and PSP) and the testers liked the PSP Better as it had the ability to play Movies and MP3's etc..
Good, but we're talking about the how big the ds launch is.

I'm not too worried how much the ds takes off. Will only be a nice bonus as if more people have 1 then there'll be more people to play multiplayer with. Can't wait to try ridge racers on wifi, I've been totally addicted to it!

How good is it? I can get it for £14 odd quid.
Where i want this

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark posted on Mar 11 2005 at 09:02 PM said:
Dozer posted on Mar 11 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Steve-O posted on Mar 11 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
It was on Radio 1 (they were compairing the DS and PSP) and the testers liked the PSP Better as it had the ability to play Movies and MP3's etc..
Good, but we're talking about the how big the ds launch is.

I'm not too worried how much the ds takes off. Will only be a nice bonus as if more people have 1 then there'll be more people to play multiplayer with. Can't wait to try ridge racers on wifi, I've been totally addicted to it!

How good is it? I can get it for £14 odd quid.
I got it as a present and was a bit dissapointed because I'd read it isn't that good, but I love it! I play it all the time at the moment. Really fun. The only let down is the lack of tracks, but I can get over that. And I used to hate racing games :) (until need for speed and burnout 3 came out).

WTF!!!!!

I AM AMAZED

the guys at college that dress in matching clothes and only have "cool" gadgets (I am talking about the nice guys not the chavvyu twats) were all playing there DSs this morning

i was amazed for 2 reasons:

1.) these people were people i though would be dead set on PSP since it is more adult

2.) 3 of them qued up at midnight

THIS IS GOOD FOR NINTENDO (as long as its not just people at my college)

then when i asked him y he didnt wait for a PSP, he said they looked crap

LMAO, what a great arguement

I think the DS will be big here, I've heard masses of people who I'd never expect talking about it, and everyone seems to know what it is.
I personally don't think the PSP will sell too well here, since a) It will be too expensive to be truly mass-market, B ) The whole movies and music side is too complicated for the vast majority of people, what with having to re-encode videos and such and c) Most of the people who buy games here are chavs. I can't really see chavs playing PSPs, while I can see them working out how to jab at a DS. They'll pure chib them.

Well lucky for you in Uk, that they're marketing so aggressively, its only a win win situation for consumers as the prices will fall as they fight for market share for both the PSP and DS, consoles and games. I always said the problem was nintendo had a monopoly. Now you get value :)

mr twit posted on Mar 12 2005 at 12:22 AM said:
I personally don't think the PSP will sell too well here, since a) It will be too expensive to be truly mass-market, B ) The whole movies and music side is too complicated for the vast majority of people, what with having to re-encode videos and such and c) Most of the people who buy games here are chavs. I can't really see chavs playing PSPs, while I can see them working out how to jab at a DS. They'll pure chib them.
You know you're spouting crap, so please stop.

You guys have reignited my DS flame, It is now the next "excess money" buy on my list.

Track suits, teenage pregancy, drugs, beating people because they're different....

I pre ordered my DS but I can't afforded to buy it..... :(

Multiplayer ridge racer is wicked. myself and 2 other guys at my skool play it whenever and its fun. and at £14 its a bargain. People said it wasnt that good but its actually ok. shame it wasnt released in europe as a launch title though.

:angry: God Damn!!! I don't know anyone with a ds and i've had mine since jan. I did see a bloke with one when i was in a car and felt like jumpin out and goin up to this stange man and askin him if he wanted a game of Metroid:pH........ <_< but i didn't.

finty101 posted on Mar 12 2005 at 09:05 AM said:
mr twit posted on Mar 12 2005 at 12:22 AM said:
You know you're spouting crap, so please stop.
I'm not spouting crap at all. It is a fact that it will be more expensive than the DS, and it is a fact that you need to re-encode movies to play them on it (and we all know how much trouble everyone has with GP32 videos).

I know I said I wouldn't, but this is my last post to this guy.

Re-encoding is extremily easy, it involves just hitting one button or draging a file, now I don't know how stupid people you know are but I think I could teach a 4 year old to do that.

About the price, sony could charge alot more than they are going to and still sell by the bucket load.

on my computer it takes approx 8 hours to encode a movie to Pocket PC standards

now to me thats not really smooth sailing and i cant imagine it being better for the PSP encoding

I work in a computer shop, i know that most people dont have anywhere near the sorta spec to handle stuff like that easily

It took like 15 hours to encode a 90 minute movie on my computer, but it is quite outdated.

Plus there is also the option of UMD movies/albums.

Back