Ubuntu Mobile

Well I for one can say that I thought this might be a good idea because I am comfortable with Ubuntu and as I said before it seems like it would be one less thing to worry about for the devs behind the Pandora.

Plus, with Ubuntu support, you've got your OS right there. No need to fiddle too much to get everything working: it's already done for you. Sure, you'll need to fiddle to remove some of the extra stuff, but that's not as bad as recreating the entire OS yourself. :)

javaJake said:
Plus, with Ubuntu support, you've got your OS right there. No need to fiddle too much to get everything working: it's already done for you. Sure, you'll need to fiddle to remove some of the extra stuff, but that's not as bad as recreating the entire OS yourself. :)
How quickly people forget; Ubuntu is basically just a tweaked version of Debian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm, no, actually. They're beyond that. Yes, they used Debian to start, and their .debs are often interchangeable. However, with Ubuntu, you get a stable release cycle, independant bug fixing (in which bugs are fixed in Ubuntu, and then if Debian or others want the fixes, they can get them), and active feature development so that no other distribution has some of the features they have.

Every distribution is based off something. Ubuntu is based of Debian, but Ubuntu does not equal Debian+1.

mavsman4457 said:
Haha, and Karel Jansens thought javajake was an idiot.
Your powers of mindreading are as awesome as they are misguided.

javaJake said:
Erm, no, actually. They're beyond that. Yes, they used Debian to start, and their .debs are often interchangeable. However, with Ubuntu, you get a stable release cycle, independant bug fixing (in which bugs are fixed in Ubuntu, and then if Debian or others want the fixes, they can get them), and active feature development so that no other distribution has some of the features they have.

Every distribution is based off something. Ubuntu is based of Debian, but Ubuntu does not equal Debian+1.
Point conceded. Allthough, for the record, I didn't claim Ubuntu was better than Debian, just that it was based on it.

Karel Jansens said:
How quickly people forget; Ubuntu is basically just a tweaked version of Debian.
Debian is primarily aimed at servers and stability. All the desktop apps are 2 or so years old in the stable branch. Ubuntu takes Debian and changes it to be desktop orientated with much more up to date desktop programs. Likely with a minor bit of sacrifice to the server side of things.

Zarneth said:
Karel Jansens said:
Debian is primarily aimed at servers and stability. All the desktop apps are 2 or so years old in the stable branch. Ubuntu takes Debian and changes it to be desktop orientated with much more up to date desktop programs. Likely with a minor bit of sacrifice to the server side of things.

Uhh thats a prejudice. In testing and unstable (often more stable than other distros :p ) have always been new versions. Releasing new stable versions took much time, but it's now better.

slint said:
Zarneth said:

Uhh thats a prejudice. In testing and unstable (often more stable than other distros :p ) have always been new versions. Releasing new stable versions took much time, but it's now better.
Just a bit of *cough* light exaggeration perhaps. It's been a couple of years since I switched to ubuntu. If anything a 6 month release cycle makes ubuntu SEEM faster. At least I mentioned stable. ;)

Karel Jansens said:
Your powers of mindreading are as awesome as they are misguided.

Hahaha you're right I am not a good mind reader but the way you wrote it made it sound weird. Consider revision. :)

Back