Ubuntu Mobile

"Uncompromised Web2.0 experience" lol

do whatcha like, it don't matta..

It requires (seemingly) 256mb RAM. It is possible that with an exceptional port, this number could be decreased to the point at which it is usable with the Pandora's 128mb, but this would be difficult and the little leftover memory space would require Ubuntu Mobile to unload much of its RAM usage to a swap space on the SD card or internal memory whenever an external application was to be run.

EDIT: Thinking about it, there should be a pretty painless way of getting it to run on 128mb RAM. All that really interests us about Ubuntu Mobile is the interface. Since it is entirely open source, chances are that we could splice that interface out of the Ubuntu Mobile distro and put it to our own uses in a much more stripped down Linux install (Debian, most likely). It's also possible that the porter could make various changes to increase the memory efficiency of the interface.

Hahaha... Yeah I had to write a APA Format report on Web 2.0 for college, what a joke...

As for ubuntu mobile, well, personally haven't looked at it, but there may be some stuff of interest for our devices in there ;)

atomicthumbs said:
So from what I can tell Ubuntu Mobile is just a UI? And a web browser?

I'm confused.

I'm assuming it's basically Ubuntu linux, but with a package/program set more geared to mobile devices, and a shiny interfaced designed for mobile devices. What we're most interested in is the UI part of it thoguh. Which can perhaps be pried free and inserted into the pandora. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see this for the GP2X F-200 :p
Unfortunatally my coding experiance is limited.
Doubt I could code a decent program for the GP2X's in pascal or QBasic lol :lol:

Mutka said:
I'd love to see this for the GP2X F-200 :p
Unfortunatally my coding experiance is limited.
Doubt I could code a decent program for the GP2X's in pascal or QBasic lol :lol:
Come on, people

Zarneth said:
I'm assuming it's basically Ubuntu linux, but with a package/program set more geared to mobile devices, and a shiny interfaced designed for mobile devices. What we're most interested in is the UI part of it thoguh. Which can perhaps be pried free and inserted into the pandora. :)
Is it just the UI that's wanted?
Surely it'd be so much more efficient to 'remake' the UI for the Pandora, rather than porting a bloated linux distro?
I expect that the Ubuntu Mobile has lots of features (such as a web browser) which make 256MB ram requirements needed, but I don't see the benefit over a bare-bones UI which can launch a seperate web browser application.

I love the way the touchscreen is integrated and the UI does look good. I am a fan of ubuntu but I guess a custom distro might be the best choice for Pandora. It just seems like it might be easier to install Ubuntu mobile on here nice and quickly.

What is actually being planned for Pandora? Can it easily boot multiple OS from the SD card? e.g different linux kernels,uclinux, QNX(i think the source code is available), boot games directly, MacOSX (at least darwin), risc os 5, windows Ce, windows mobile.
even if its linux only, will it have selectable gui, e.g. matchbox, openbox, ROX, openmoko, maemo.. etc

Requirements are way too steep on this to be taken seriously today. Maybe in a year or so...

Probably be best to steal ideas from this than it would be to straight port it.

bnolsen said:
Requirements are way too steep on this to be taken seriously today. Maybe in a year or so...

Probably be best to steal ideas from this than it would be to straight port it.
Good devs on this site have done amazing things like take a game with a 64mb RAM requirement and get it to use only 8mb in game. If one dev can do that, they can either get the memory requirement for this to be much lower, or splice out the interface.

Well, I wonder if there's a way of installing Ubuntu Mobile, and then disabling a lot of (and I mean a lot of) startup applications, like CUPS, Samba, Bluetooth, and others that are hardly needed for the Pandora.

Dadburnit, even regular Ubuntu runs like a dream on my 192 MB Compaq laptop. :)

But why?

What do you guys want from Ubuntu Mobile apart from the fact that it's linux?

I just want someone to clarify what features UM has that couldn't be done much more efficiently from scratch or using external applications.

AnonymousTipster said:
But why?

What do you guys want from Ubuntu Mobile apart from the fact that it's linux?

I just want someone to clarify what features UM has that couldn't be done much more efficiently from scratch or using external applications.
I think the main reason people want it is because the interface is pretty.

It would, therefore, make much more sense to splice out the interface and use the same interface over a Debian install (or whatever we'll be running on there).

Back