Uae4all Gp2x 0.6.0 First Release With Integrated Fame/c

Greeting Critical! Thanks for putting together a build so quick after the release of the FAME core!

I was wondering if the emu bias is "hooked up" still since I seem to be able to change it to anything and games that used to run when it was only on full cpu, now run at full custom chipset (Rocket Ranger, It Came From the Desert).

fyi, I have gp2x mk2 with firmware 2.0.0 and I get the white lines when trying to overclock it at all. I set it to 250MHz in gpmenu2x, so I hope that it kept that setting after it loads the emu?

The sound is so much smoother now!

Thanks again for your work, and for Chui and Fox's work on that assembly 6800 core!!!

Critical and Chui! - Amazing work

Peeps, If you can overclock too 275mhz (by hex editing the tweak script) DO IT!!! :D At that CPU speed with sound on, auto frameskip and emu bias set to CPU it's full speed :eek: My GP2X can overclock to 280 but the emu doesn't seem to fire up on that setting.

I've ran the Blood Money intro side by side with WinUAE on my laptop and got them in sync at the "DMA Design" digitised speech and the sound stayed in sync until the tune ended (the asteroid field loaded up a good 5 seconds earlier on WinUAE but that's down to the speed that can access the ADF)

Tried the same games/demos that i did on UAE2X to compare:

Turrican, Blood Money (inc. intro), Stardust, Project X, Turrican II, Persian Gulf Inferno, Shadow of the Beast & Paradroid 90 - All appear to be running at full speed with the above settings, There's slight frameskip on some games (more noticable with Shadow of the Beast and Paradriod 90)

Hired Guns gave me a software failure after clicking the WB icon

State of the Art runs but skips quite badly and Jesus on E's doesn't play any opening music and hangs at the LSD PRE ENT screen (it doesn't display the S's in presents)

I can't change the clock speed using the normal .gpe either (running firmware 2.0.0)

If this gets Savestates i'm donating :) (remembering your rom folder would be nice to :p)

Surely if this can go DualCore then AGA might even be possible?

Damn time, Up for work in a few hours so i will have to stop messing with this for tonight but hats off to you, Very impressed with this release

Damume posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:27 PM said:
Critical and Chui! - Amazing work

Peeps, If you can overclock too 275mhz (by hex editing the tweak script) DO IT!!! :D At that CPU speed with sound on, auto frameskip and emu bias set to CPU it's full speed :eek: My GP2X can overclock to 280 but the emu doesn't seem to fire up on that setting.

Yeah, this is good stuff.

My GP2X only goes to 245Mhz stable with the MMU hack and 260Mhz without.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if my post was deleted from here as I cant find it, so..

ok, played about with this, generally speaking it is a lot better especially the sound, for some reason some games black screen where as they didnt before. I also cant overclock at all and get similar white screen results as other people., using v2 firmware and v6.1.

Using the tweaked version, things do look up, playing my most wished for game, Dune 2, it actually works ok now with playable speed. The slightly clumsy interface probably is harder using the jopad as opposed a mouse so it does not help playability mainly, but I think the hardest part is the cursor speed, even with the X button constantly depressed its still quite slow, this applies to other mouse games such as Dungeon Master i have found.

So, my wish is to see if there is a way of improving mouse speed in these games? or if not how about a cursor speed lock in the menu, so you dont have to keep pressing X for a faster speed, this would at least take the pressure of your thumb.

I will continue testing games and will add to the wiki if needed.

Thank you for this latest release

E

The emu is not fullspeed, in general is mid-speed in all the games i have tested.
If a fps option were added you would see it.
But the emu is great :)

nice! I'm a big fan of Alternate Reality: The City, which i'm trying to get to be portable via the gp2x.

Your earlier version of uae4all didnt play it very well, but this one shows promise. I'm going to fiddle and see if i can get it working.

By the way, check out the new GP2x standards website. I think it's a really good idea to keep the community unified with one release standard.

Thanks for your work!

hicksman posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
By the way, check out the new GP2x standards website. I think it's a really good idea to keep the community unified with one release standard.
How exciting.

hicksman posted on Oct 31 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
nice! I'm a big fan of Alternate Reality: The City, which i'm trying to get to be portable via the gp2x.

Your earlier version of uae4all didnt play it very well, but this one shows promise. I'm going to fiddle and see if i can get it working.

Thanks for your work!

(Offtopic?) Alternate Reality: The City should be fully playable in OutCaST at full speed; not sure if the Amiga and ST versions were the same, but where ports exist for both machines they tended to be identical.. and AR:TC wasn't really a hardware pushing game anyway :)

Kudos to Chui and critical :)

jeff

The standards site doesn't have a lot on it yet, and might conflict with 'complex emus'; ie: unification could be fine for simple emus which have not many menus or complexity.. like SMS emus and such. But it seems to me for fat emus with piles of menus that standardizing holds them back .. however, some things can always be standardized, if the user base buys in -- location of rom paths and application/share-dlibs etc _should_ be standardized, without hurting applications.

*shrug*

jeff

skeezix posted on Oct 31 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
The standards site doesn't have a lot on it yet, and might conflict with 'complex emus'; ie: unification could be fine for simple emus which have not many menus or complexity.. like SMS emus and such. But it seems to me for fat emus with piles of menus that standardizing holds them back .. however, some things can always be standardized, if the user base buys in -- location of rom paths and application/share-dlibs etc _should_ be standardized, without hurting applications.
Quite.

0.6.2 now available - this time I really hope I fixed the overclock thing. I also added holding down SELECT in the disk file selector to show you all of the filename, and added the command line option -norelaunchmenu to not relaunch the GP2X menu on exit.

This is using Chui's latest FAME/C core which compiles fine with GCC4 :)

elvgren posted on Oct 31 2006 at 08:15 AM said:
So, my wish is to see if there is a way of improving mouse speed in these games? or if not how about a cursor speed lock in the menu, so you dont have to keep pressing X for a faster speed, this would at least take the pressure of your thumb.
Sure - I'll add it with the other control changes I have planned.

can some one tell what type of game file to use, is it adf. please help can not any games to work.

geise69 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
I tried Shadow of the Beast 1 with the settings all the way to the left. I've also tried kick start 1.3 and 3.1 with pretty much every single adf disk version of the game. I still can not get Beast 1 to work. Agony works nice though :) Has anyone gotten Shadow of the Beast to get past the freeze "system error" part before the tree house level? BTW this is an amazing release. Nice and fast! Thanks Critical and Chui!

I have fixed cpu trace mode and mode0 exception for lastest FAME/C (UAE4ALL/GP2x 0.6.2).

Try again 'Shadow of the Beast' using 0.6.2, now must run without problem.

A lot of games must run fine now too, like SpeedBall2, ParasolStar, Gods, etc...

chui posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
A lot of games must run fine now too, like SpeedBall2, ParasolStar, Gods, etc...
Gods runs - I tried it earlier. It's very demanding, however ;)

paul4now38 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
can some one tell what type of game file to use, is it adf. please help can not any games to work.
Yes, they must be ADF files (or ADZ, which is just an ADF file that's compressed with gz).

Mr. Pointless posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:39 PM said:
Erm, can't remember if Lotus 2 used to work, but now it crashes my unit with multi-colour bars on the screen (on any setting I try)

My GP2X is 1st Edition. :unsure:

I get the same

I`m still gettting flickering with the keyboard overlay and the o/c issue is still there for me :(

Been using Stunt car racer to test...this a bad test case? meaning it`s quite heavy going... can`t really tell if it`s working full speed with the 266 script.

Progress though :)

I'm sure Stunt Car Racer was working better before.. the sound is a bit stuttery now. I'm using Gmenu2x to overclock to 250MHz but I'm not convinced it's not being reset to 200 by the emu.

still cant change clock speed. Im makin some videos now and tv out works :D. Im tryin turrican 3 right now and either its not workin or it takes ages to load ? anyway i will try som,e more games !

Back