Mame Gp2x 3.4

I prefer a faster MAME than a better sound quality, sorry. I think sound is ok for a handheld like the GP2X. A better sound requires a lot of CPU... Regards.

Can this be made configurable for future releases (ie user definable priority)? Or perhaps a separate "hifi" executable, in addition to the "fast" and "compatible" ones? I haven't upgraded to 3.4 yet, so please disregard if this has already been addressed. Thanks for a great emulator, in any case. Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a faster MAME than a better sound quality, sorry. I think sound is ok for a handheld like the GP2X. A better sound requires a lot of CPU...

Personally agree.

Consider the original environment these games were played in: noisy, smoky pubs and galleries. You could barely hear the damn things anyway :)

Yeah that is a bug that has been in it since Franxis changed the sound core I think.

The sound is not quite right anymore for the older games. It almost sounds like the sound is frameskipping a little as well. The sound will also skip ahead sometimes in in-game tunes. I played Ms. Pac-man and in the intermission tune it skipped a note as well.

I prefer a faster MAME than a better sound quality, sorry. I think sound is ok for a handheld like the GP2X. A better sound requires a lot of CPU... Regards.

i don't know Franxis, I use your MAME mostly to play Mr Do! and the old games. In an ideal world I think the sound changes should be an option.. like old or new core. Just my opinion.

I agree with saehn and rooster.

Maybe it's because I'm a music producer, but my enjoyment of games is reduced if I notice sound errors during gameplay. For example, I noticed straight away when the music in SFII was deeper than the original (and I believe that this is fixed now).

If we're talking about the really old games (eg. Ms Pacman, Mr Do!) then whats the best configuration to ensure minimal sound errors?

Best sound quality will occur with the following settings:

Frameskip: 0
Video Clock: 100%
Audio Clock: 100%
Sound: Accurate and On

Note: Frameskip 0 is only possible for some games; more demanding games will run too slow. You can check whether the game can keep up by switching the FPS on (hold the Y button and hit the two shoulder buttons).

If this keeps at a steady 60FPS (most games run at 60FPS), then you should be getting the best possible sound quality.

On 3.4 version I have noticed that if I select vsync on the sound is perfect... :) (This only for old games otherwise the emulation is too much slow... :rolleyes:

P.S. Franxis please add a romset 0.36-0.37 eheheheh :p ... There are fantastic games :D ... (Ehm.. I am Sergio O. , yours paypal fan ;) )

On 3.4 version I have noticed that if I select vsync on the sound is perfect... :) (This only for old games otherwise the emulation is too much slow... :rolleyes:

P.S. Franxis please add a romset 0.36-0.37 eheheheh :p ... There are fantastic games :D ... (Ehm.. I am Sergio O. , yours paypal fan ;) )

Oh, thanks for the report. New version coming soon... :)

Best sound quality will occur with the following settings:

Frameskip: 0
Video Clock: 100%
Audio Clock: 100%
Sound: Accurate and On

Note: Frameskip 0 is only possible for some games; more demanding games will run too slow. You can check whether the game can keep up by switching the FPS on (hold the Y button and hit the two shoulder buttons).

If this keeps at a steady 60FPS (most games run at 60FPS), then you should be getting the best possible sound quality.

I tried that but the sound is still not right and it skips notes in music. Mr Do! sounds worse on the newer versions as well.

I think an option is a good idea too as alot of us do care about the sound quality.

Back