TV Out Cables, new forum sections and partly-broken units (2013-05-24)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
TV Out Cable Status

As quite a few people have asked about the TV Out Cable, I'll want to update you here.

The first TV Out Cable prototype we got was fully working - however, the company used some cheap EXT connector which wasn't really following the standard and was way too loose in the socket.

We had to convince them to use our good connectors, which fit perfectly and hold firmly.

They will do this, but this means another round of prototype cables is needed.

We'll have them in 2 - 3 weeks - and after that, it's hopefully mass production ordering time (which will then take about 7 weeks).

I'm positive it will be fine this time, as the cable itself was perfect, except for that EXT connector.

So it's not 2 months but 3 months away ;)

New Forum sections

I've created two new forum sections:

First, there's the section "Old Preorders" in the "Getting a Pandora"-Area.

This area is where the remaining customers from Craig should head for questions about the preorder.

I'll also post monthly statistics of delivered units there as well as a remaining preorder number and an FAQ thread summarizing the most important questions and answers in one thread.

Guest posting is allowed there, as probably not every old preorder wants to create an account simply for asking a quick question.

The other new area is the "Guest Area".

Only non-registered members can start threads there (though members can answer).

This is meant to allow interested customers asking quick questions without having to register at the boards.

This is a test - if it gets misused with too much spam, I'll close it again.

Partly-Broken Units

Askarus is currently working at the DragonBox shop testing and assembling units which have slight defects (i.e. USB not working, etc.)

These will be fully tested, so you can be sure nothing else is broken except of what is mentioned there.

They will probably be attractive to customers who are mostly interested in gaming - or if you want a second (or third) Pandora and don't care about that slight defect.

We'll try to get these online in the shop from next week on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!

I like it that you make the effort to have cheaper Pandoras available in your shop.

Great news about the TV cables!

Is there a plan to produce tiny bobs for modders?

Cheaper pandoras are quite interesting. I've always wanted to make some hardware mods on my pandora, but too afraid of breaking something.

So partly defective pandora would be awesome for people like me.

ED under the idea of "no pandy to borked to be useful" I would go for one that has nothing more working than the charging circuit to use as a battery charger. I plan to look at hacking something together otherwise.

ED under the idea of "no pandy to borked to be useful" I would go for one that has nothing more working than the charging circuit to use as a battery charger. I plan to look at hacking something together otherwise.
I think charging is software controlled, so it would have to boot successfully, even if the keyboard, nubs, USB, wifi and everything else were broken

I think charging is software controlled, so it would have to boot successfully, even if the keyboard, nubs, USB, wifi and everything else were broken
Yep. If it charges, the SoC is working :)

Though we might have some without a working LCD... might make a neat Pandora-Home-Console, if used to modify with TV Out and the OS setup to enable it on start.

Id love to have a section for new owners (newbie support)... I'll happily spend time replying to help our new Pandorians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Though we might have some without a working LCD... might make a neat Pandora-Home-Console, if used to modify with TV Out and the OS setup to enable it on start.
now that sounds like a fun project.a Pandora console adaption.

If the bottom half of the case with a simple headless setup would make it an external battery charger, that would work. Maybe be a bit of overkill, but it really doesn't matter if the case is scratched, etc and as long as the device provides power, the rest of the components really don't matter.

[...]
We had to convince them to use our good connectors, which fit perfectly and hold firmly.

They will do this, but this means another round of prototype cables is needed.

We'll have them in 2 - 3 weeks - and after that, it's hopefully mass production ordering time (which will then take about 7 weeks).

I'm positive it will be fine this time, as the cable itself was perfect, except for that EXT connector.

So it's not 2 months but 3 months away ;)
... and another 2 pages for the Pandora-Book. ;)

This project has everything in it's story. Even a volcano.

We should make a movie out of this. :D

BTW: What's the status of a mini OS for charging?

[sent from Pandora; 3G; somewhere on the road]

New prototype cables next week, T-Shirts and wooden boxes will be back in stock soon as well.

And we have a new mobile theme of the boards which works neat on the Pandora.

Same here. Sent from my pastrami sandwich using Tapatalk 2. (Now that we are all favorably impressed, go into Tapatalk and drop the trailer) :lol:

The new theme works reasonably well with dillo (which is probably the fastest way to enjoy this board:), but funnily seems to be incompatible with N900 microb (content is missing), though it can render the full version fine (albeit very slow).

I am one of those old pandora customers, got my device on january 2011, but never received my TV cable.

My order number was <removed by Binky>

Is there any hope to get it eventually?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since he's already received his Pandora there is very little damage someone can do knowing the order number.

Back