TV Out Cable: Time to Mass produce! (2013-06-22)

Prio 1: Use S-Video, if possible.

Check, if one of the Scart sockets has the "S --[-> ]" sign on it. Then it is S-Video compatible and you need an adapter cable that connects the TV-Out's S-Video connector + the Audio L+L connectors (probably black and red Cinch) to Scart.

Like this:

http://www.intekx.com/images/475093.jpg

EDIT: on this image you see that the right one of the two Scart sockets has that S-Video logo. By far not all TV sets seem to have that feature. 

Prio 2: Use Composite, if S-Video is not possible, i.e. of none of your Scart sockets has that "S --[-> ]" sign. Then you need an adapter from Composite video + Audio L+R (Yellow, Black and Red Cinch connectors of TV-Out) to either Scart or to equally-colored Cinch jacks on the TV.

Like this:

http://www.projectorsite.co.uk/images/products/10m%20av.jpg

or this:

http://assmann.com/images/articles/collage/2000x1333/AK392_4016032083375_collage_1_RGB.jpg

Alternatively, for either option you may use a straight-through cable (i.e. with the same plugs on either side) and use a Scart adapter to get into the scart socket:

http://www.memoryking.de/images/product_images/popup_images/e8bc12581656955eb3da316965c850c8.jpg
My TV is a Samsung LE32B450C4W http://data4tv.com/en/Samsung/LE32B450C4W/ which sadly has no S-Video input, also not onto the Scart input. However, it has an D-Sub (VGA) input, maybe this can be used somehow but I'm not sure. Really weird that this TV has basicly everything but an S-Video input, it even has an opical audio output. However, it also has NO headphone output which also annoyed me alot (also needs an adapter to get at least some headphone sound over Cinch.

More info+pics: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32b450-le32b450c-20090625155.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Really weird that this TV has basicly everything but an S-Video input
If S-Video is lacking just use Composite, kinda all devices should offer it (even if just through SCART).

However, it has an D-Sub (VGA) input, maybe this can be used somehow but I'm not sure
VGA is completely incompatible to those TV standards, it is only usable through active adaptors, which usually have a really crappy quality.

you just use something like this surely?? That's what I'll be using

edityoops - like HMC said ;)  

My TV is a Samsung LE32B450C4W
I just looked at the English User Manual (lower down on the link) -

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LE32B450C4WXXC-downloads

Your TV has Composite AV input on the side panel (page 4, item 8 on diagram).

You just need an ordinary phono cable (like you'd use to connect the audio outs of a CD player, DVD player etc to an amplifier) for the audio l/r, and exactly the same (but only one half of) for connecting to the yellow video socket.

Switching inputs is detailed on page 20.

Of course I can use Composite but some people say that the best quality is achived over S-Video so it's sad that I have to use another connection method. ^^" Not sure if SCART quality is also over Composite quality, at least there are enough options.

My TV also has an "game mode" where the image is set to standards that are better for low latency, not testet yet of course but I hope it helps to reduce the lag.

SCART is just the type of connector, it carries several input/output signals via a single connector - but not always S-Video (in your case the specifications do not indicate that it has S-Video support). It's usually just an RGB variant and Composite, plus audio.

Connecting composite via a SCART adapter would be no different to connecting to the Side panel composite input. You don't have the option of RGB, which SCART also carries, so it looks like it's composite only. S-Video is superior, but it may not appear so different on a modern flat-panel set, it would be a lot more noticeable on a CRT, the internal scalers on modern TVs tend to make either signal look a bit scruffy anyway!

If you own an original XBox, XBox 360 or Playstation 2 (not sure about PS3 or Gamecube, but I think so) any of those would have come with a 3-plug phono cable, which is all you need for the composite and audio hook-up.

Composite was good enough for the Wii. :)

I wouldn't expect a great picture from anything less than a HDMI cable tbh.

You likely wouldn't see any difference anyway, especially on a flatscreen - both already have massive quality loss due to the fact that they are transmitting analogue signals, which are pretty useless for a digital panel.

Composite was good enough for the Wii. :)

I wouldn't expect a great picture from anything less than a HDMI cable tbh.
Yuck! I'll stick to my component cables thanks...
You'll be surprised with PAL output with SVideo on my DLP projector I can get a picture that's just about component quality, just lacks the resolution. It will display in a native widescreen too. I never tried this on an LCD screen though..

On my old and relatively small Sony CRT, I even prefer Composite over S-Video, because with S-Video some colors are too intensive, especially red.

But from what some people say, for flat TVs S-Video is better. I have never tried a flat TV, so I cannot comment on that.

Anyone who finds composite acceptable for anything has something wrong with their eyes!

Pistol, I have to disagree.

What I observe is this:

People who own a FullHD flat TV develop completely different requirement to image quality compared to people who don't own such kinds of TV. The exe gets used to what you usually use.

I, for example, have very good eyes, 100% sight on every eye, but I don't own a TV at all (besides that Sony CRT that I use solely as a monitor for the Pandora, so I don't really call it "TV"). 

And Composite is totally acceptable for me. As I said, I even prefer it over S-Video due to more natural colors (if we can speak about "natural" colors in computer games at all).

When I watched a movie on a friend's large FullHD flat TV, the first few minutes looking at a movie playing in conventional resultion seems very low-quality to me, but I quickly get used to the lower quality again and perceive it as normal and acceptable.

Don't look too often onto the screen of large flat TV, then you never will want one too badly. :) Good strategy for saving money. And for begin more happy with what the Pandora can give you with its TV-Out port. :)

I know what you mean, I can't believe I used to get buy with a single 14" CRT monitor, my home desktop now has two 24" flatscreens. It's amazing how many different films you can watch at the same time ;)

I am looking forward to the TV out so I can connect my Pandora to my PicoProjector though.

My ZX Spectrum and Atari 2600 feel grateful to be composite video, and my C64 came with it. If you want to make your emulation experience more authentic, composite is doing you a favour! :)

But if you want to watch HD video to your TV via your Pandora, I can see why you might want a better signal. But if you want to do that you are probably better off buying a Raspberry Pi and using the built in HDMI.

In 2008 every TV still had S-Video

2013 not so much.

CRTs are still the best for videogames though IMHO.

*ordered a out cable but now has zero devices with avid*

Was planning on using it for audio I/O anyhow ;)
agreed. i still have my old daewoo crt tv. but..... you need the remote to access line which it no longer has. no im not going to get a universal remote.. i also have this big tv. a huge crt. it is impossible to get behind it.

the only tv that would be compatible would be small crt's  and plasma screen tv's from 2004.

( i also have a plasma. toshiba. excellent picture quality almost HD.)

Back