Tv-out Cable Disappointment

MiniMoose

I just received my TV-out cable today and I'm quite disappointed in it. You see, the cable has a male S-video connector (video) and two female RCA connectors (audio). This configuration makes absolutely no sense.

My TV has all female connectors: female S-video and female RCA connectors. Also, all of my cables have male connections on both ends. That means that the TV-out connector can connect the video directly to the TV but not the audio without an audio cable between it and the TV. I can't use an S-video cable between the TV-out cable and the TV without a gender changer or I need to buy the more expensive "extension" style specialty cables with one female and one male.

Frustrating. The TV-out cable should have had all female connectors so that standard, and cheap, S-video and audio cables could be used between it and the TV. Having mixed gender connectors just makes things tedious and annoying.

I posted on here a week or so ago warning against buying it and to wait, aside from the design being bad, the quality of the adaptor is also bad. They are being remade at the moment.

I posted on here a week or so ago warning against buying it and to wait, aside from the design being bad, the quality of the adaptor is also bad. They are being remade at the moment.
Oh well, at least the EXT connector can be put to good use. Time to build a serial cable. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What do you mean being remade? *looks at his tv out cable* grrr

I am always getting the short end of the straw, is this some sort of initiation for all new people to the scene>

What do you mean being remade? *looks at his tv out cable* grrr

I am always getting the short end of the straw, is this some sort of initiation for all new people to the scene>

Yeah ... I pre-ordered mine weeks before Craig's warning was posted <_<

So far as I can see all craigix actually said was 'The TV cables were made by a 3rd party in China and supplied to distributors via gamepark, the quality is 'classic' Chinese in that they don't fit the ext port quite right, thus the signal on some is assed.' and 'The cables we will be selling won't have that problem' on 28th December in this thread.

It was a warning that some may be 'assed', but it is not a warning against buying them necessarily and it does not say to wait. If you get one from elsewhere and it is 'assed' then just return it for replacement or refund once the improved ones are available... I know I will...

Or maybe we should have waited for an 'official' release of the tv-out cable, that excuse seemed to work on half the people on this board just a short time ago when GPH released some other poorly-tested, half complete product ;)

Hmm, I've ordered my GP2X with TV out and had no idea there should be some problems with it. I only hope it's functional and atapters aren't problem then. At least I can cut-off those females and solder males instead.

My cable works fine, but the male/female s-video thing is frustrating...finally broke down and went to radioshack and bought a female to female s-video adapter for about $5.95 Works like a charm....it still is a stupid configuration though!

I must have missed that post but I'm glad I saw this becasue now I'm going to wait until it's actually usefull. This, amongst other things, looks bad against GPH...

Seeing as TV-Out was a user-requested feature, I am confused as to why GPH got rubbish cables with design problems, probably from some Korean version of a 99p bin :p

Back