Turbografx-16 Zelda Clones

HackModford

So I'm looking for that genesis zelda rip-off (which I want to play) and came across this wonderful article
http://thenoisingmachine.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/zelda-clones-and-offspring/
Anyways there's a couple games for the turbografx-16 in there.

Do we have a turbografx emulator on the way? Couldn't find it in the app store if we do...

We already have one, and there's at least one more on the way. For now, go here for zx-81's Hugo-Pandora - it's full-speed with a bit of an overclock, even under Xfce.

(By the way, I think the Mega Drive game you're looking for is Soliel [PAL]/Crusader of Centy [NTSU-U]/Ragnacenty [NTSC-J]. :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not played that turbo16 game from that article, but I will recommend Alundra on the PS1. It is a great game, and it runs near perfect at the default settings on Zods ps1 emu.

Alundra 2 is also an option, but I never really played that one, but I will stand behind part one. A great zelda clone, and a great translation from Working Designs at the top of there game. Give it a go! :lol:

Chris

LOL yeah I just noticed that pc engine is the same as turbografx16 (Never played those systems in my life)
So I got it... Thanx

Also I'm "obtaining" alundra right now... (Though I'm hooked on Lunar right now) I never realised how many great rpg's were on the psx...

And yes the sega game was that one (already got it ;) )

Thank You Guys!

Yeah, Lunar was another great Working Designs translation on the PS1. I'm not sure how much of a diehard you are, but they made a hardcover strategy guide for Lunar 1 & 2, and they are of the finest quality you will find outside of Japan. The overall package for both games was also top shelf. I sold both games and guides for a small fortune on Ebay years ago, great collectables & great games also.

It sucks that all the hard work they delivered, didn't translate into bigger sales, but they where fanboys, and they delivered many great games on many great consoles to many fanboys, and it was greatly appreciated. If your reading this, Vic you rock! Thanks for the memories!

Chris

HackModford said:
I never realised how many great rpg's were on the psx...

If you haven't played it, try Suikoden - brilliant RPG. Aside from the usual tropes, you also recruit people from across the land to join an army for a battle at the end of the game...

Back to topic:

A neat little Zelda clone that is not mentioned much is Neugier on SNES. There is an English translation here.

Another "Zelda clone" that was missed from that list was Monkey Hero on PS1. Fantastic game. Not exactly like Zelda, but the gameplay is pretty similar. Based on the old Chinese Monkey King stories (which was turned into the Monkey tv programme).

monkeyhe_screen003.jpg

Oh, and Alundra is an all time fave of mine. Alundra 2 is not... :(

jumpman said:
I have not played that turbo16 game from that article, but I will recommend Alundra on the PS1. It is a great game, and it runs near perfect at the default settings on Zods ps1 emu.
Great game, i agree.

jumpman said:
Alundra 2 is also an option, but I never really played that one, but I will stand behind part one.
Sucks. Really really really bad. I mean like it really stinks. If you downloaded it and burnt it to a disc as a pirate copy, you wasted a good disc you could have saved misc data from your trashcan on.
B!

Mr B said:
jumpman said:
Great game, i agree.

jumpman said:
Alundra 2 is also an option, but I never really played that one, but I will stand behind part one.
Sucks. Really really really bad. I mean like it really stinks. If you downloaded it and burnt it to a disc as a pirate copy, you wasted a good disc you could have saved misc data from your trashcan on.
B!
WOW, another negative comment on Alundra 2. I always thought it was more of the same of A1, but I guess not. I have it on my sd card right now, but I think I'll delete it, and add Monkey Hero instead. Thanks for all the suggestions guys/gals!

Chris

Check out Dragon Slayer on the Duo if you can get an ISO of it. Made by Working Designs. Really great game, if you can get past Sonya's voice. Cosmic Fantasy 2 is also pretty good, although 3 and 4 never had English translations. (somebody, somewhere, might have translated them over the years ... I do not know)

Lots and lots of good TG16/Duo games.

iprice said:
Another "Zelda clone" that was missed from that list was Monkey Hero on PS1. Fantastic game. Not exactly like Zelda, but the gameplay is pretty similar. Based on the old Chinese Monkey King stories (which was turned into the Monkey tv programme).

Unfortunately Money Hero does not work on the current PSX emulator :(

There's also a ROM hack of A Link to the Past around called Parallel Words, which is apparently is hacked so far as to be a completely different game. I have it, but haven't tried it out yet as I still haven't *quite* completed A Link to the Past.

Alundra is not only a very good Zelda-clone - it's the 2nd best 2D-game on PSX (the best being Castlevania - Symphony of the Night).

Crystalis for NES is supposed to be superior to the original Zelda. Need to finally try this - and Neutopia for PC Engine.

Back