Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

Butterman, one Question.

As you say you are doing the Programming under Windows. Could there be a Way to have a Windows and a Pandora Version that work together? Like, my Wife plays on the PC (in a 800*480 Window), and me and my Brother on the Pandora?
Of cause there must be some limitations, like only playable with a Pad, as Mouse-Controls would be a Plus for the Windows players, the Screen should not be higher Res...

But wouldn't it be cool to kick of a little Game with Cool Graphics that plays on both, Windows and (Pandora)Linux? As mentioned a Version that works on Linux-PC would also be cool.

Wouldn't that be one of the first PC/Console games that can actually play together?

George

I agree with GPSchynyder, cross platform compatability would be awesome, but balancing may be hard.

The new vids show some promise, and as soon as you get maps working you should test the limits of maps.

Are you going to include bots? Because it would make the game playable when there is no internet connection to play online, or so that single player/coop map or campaigns can be made by the community and I'm sure that would make the game a lot more popular.

Bosbeetle said:
How about hitler moving to the southpole and shooting pinguins

http://www.bioedonline.org/picks/news.cfm?art=3236

While you're probably joking, put it on the Jottit nonetheless! http://tincs.jottit.com

Any idea, no matter how bad you believe it to be is wanted!

GPSchnyder said:
Butterman, one Question.

As you say you are doing the Programming under Windows. Could there be a Way to have a Windows and a Pandora Version that work together? Like, my Wife plays on the PC (in a 800*480 Window), and me and my Brother on the Pandora?
Of cause there must be some limitations, like only playable with a Pad, as Mouse-Controls would be a Plus for the Windows players, the Screen should not be higher Res...

But wouldn't it be cool to kick of a little Game with Cool Graphics that plays on both, Windows and (Pandora)Linux? As mentioned a Version that works on Linux-PC would also be cool.

Wouldn't that be one of the first PC/Console games that can actually play together?

George
It's very possible, it will most likely happen, while I will be focusing on the Pandora, I want to actually get this game done and working on the Pandora, so that's my main goal. I will port over any major versions (big releases) to Linux and Windows, there is no reason not to. While you make a good point that controls will be very easy for PC players, at the moment, controls on Windows aren't done using the mouse, I'm using A and D for looking left and right and W and S for actually moving. So I don't see why we couldn't release a Windows version that doesn't use the mouse, that way no advantage could be had.

Shadow Grounds was the first game where PC and console players could play together I think, it will be interesting to see how they did it, I will have to do some research, on how they did the gameplay there.

Mattz said:
I agree with GPSchynyder, cross platform compatability would be awesome, but balancing may be hard.

The new vids show some promise, and as soon as you get maps working you should test the limits of maps.

Are you going to include bots? Because it would make the game playable when there is no internet connection to play online, or so that single player/coop map or campaigns can be made by the community and I'm sure that would make the game a lot more popular.
Hopefully, if we have enough support after I release the game, I can get to work on AI, so we can make a campaign based on he same story.

There is some new stuff on the Jottit site, awesome! A new area was added for name ideas, so, get on there with your ideas for a name!

Somebody mentioned that they like the name TinyCS (or TinyCS Is Not Your Counter Strike), with a bunch of reasons for it. Also, they wanted to maybe set up a site for the game too, once we've chosen a name. This is all well and good, except you didn't leave your name or email, so I've no way of contacting you :D.

Anyway, yeah more ideas for names, more stuff. Also, there was a quick section about somebody who wanted to co-build the renderer with me, I will get back to you on that as soon as I have time Benjamin.

Right. Back to coding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despellanion said:
Looks great. I love the player models. Old school 3d is the best. :D
Thanks. You have no idea how good it feels to be complemented after hours upon hours of coding, when you should be studying, only to realize you haven't really done anything.

107kfhi.jpg

Ohh, what do we have here? Is that Jack and his buddies running around testing out collision in a multiplayer game of TINCS?

Check out the gun, I wanted to get the player holding a gun in his view as early as possible. It turns out, for the gun to look good and correct in the first person view, it has to be like 5 times as big. So, that gun that I'm holding is about the size of one of the other players, but it just doesn't look like it. :D

I've got it animated, so it bobbles as you run too, don't have time to make a video yet tho.

This is looking great!

Can I make a suggestion for an easy to code(ish) single player mode.

Basically make it like a trainer/fastest time type event

Spawn in a level with just fixed cutout enemies and have to complete the level by hitting all the targets and its timed.

Then add the ability to upload scores and have a leader board and straight away you have addictive single player.

stustaff said:
This is looking great!

Can I make a suggestion for an easy to code(ish) single player mode.

Basically make it like a trainer/fastest time type event

Spawn in a level with just fixed cutout enemies and have to complete the level by hitting all the targets and its timed.

Then add the ability to upload scores and have a leader board and straight away you have addictive single player.
That's a good idea. We could even forget the cutout enemies and just have quite stupid bots that will just shoot at you. Could you write up your idea on the http://tincs.jottit.com ? The design section is probably best suited for it.

FlippantBird said:
Where are you getting your models from? Are they free models, or made by you?
They're free models from http://polycount.com/. I haven't been able to get in contact with the specific makers of a few of the models, so I won't be releasing any of these models in public releases. Hopefully, once we're decided art wise, we can get our own stuff in.

lulzfish said:
"cutout enemies"
"bots"

A gun turret is fine too.
I don't think we would have all 3? :huh:

UPDATE:

Still looking for new name ideas, back story ideas and art concepts of different styles! If you can make/think/develop any of these, post them on http://tincs.jottit.com/. I want everything you can throw at me!

Would you like a low polygon .blend model of a wood hut? (I don't know where you can use it)
I don't have a USB port on my PC so I can't give it to you in a moment... :)

P.S: I will appreciate if you'll accept my offer cos I'm a beginner in the 3D world.....

giovanni said:
Would you like a low polygon .blend model of a wood hut? (I don't know where you can use it)
I don't have a USB port on my PC so I can't give it to you in a moment... :)

P.S: I will appreciate if you'll accept my offer cos I'm a beginner in the 3D world.....
Ohhh, so it's an offer I can't refuse eh? Hehe, I kid.

I will see if I can get it into the game, I'm not sure if .md2 models will export without animation keyframes so I may have to put a blank animation in.

Butterman said:
There is some new stuff on the Jottit site, awesome! A new area was added for name ideas, so, get on there with your ideas for a name!

Somebody mentioned that they like the name TinyCS (or TinyCS Is Not Your Counter Strike), with a bunch of reasons for it. Also, they wanted to maybe set up a site for the game too, once we've chosen a name. This is all well and good, except you didn't leave your name or email, so I've no way of contacting you :D.
Sorry, forgot that ther is no User linked to the Entries. It was me, you can contact me via GPSchnyder (at the) g mail.com

I'll add that to the Text. :)

George

Good news everyone! I'm finally happy with the exact way I handle network traffic. I used to only be able to run 4 or 5 clients at a time on my PC, without getting serious lag, now I can handle about 8, all running smoothly. You're probably saying this isn't a great way to test out networking, if I'm only communicating via LAN. I agree, but I'm primarily making sure that, A: my networking system can handle large amounts of players, just in the way it runs, B: I should be able to run a crap load of these on my PC if I want any chance of them running at a good speed on the Pandora.

Either way. It's sorted. I wanted to get some people together for a 10 man server test this weekend, I should still be able to do it, if you want to participate email me at "nutterman99(at)hotmail.com", I will then send you information on how to proceed further.Yes. We will be shooting each other.

Butterman said:

I will see if I can get it into the game, I'm not sure if .md2 models will export without animation keyframes so I may have to put a blank animation in.
The game is not mine: don't worry if you can't get it into the story... Do exactly what you want.

This is a quick rendering: http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Render.jpg

Here is the model: http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Baracca.blend

Thank you for all the work you're doing ;)

P.S: I know it's ugly... It's my first attempt to 3D graphic...

giovanni said:
Butterman said:

The game is not mine: don't worry if you can't get it into the story... Do exactly what you want.

This is a quick rendering: http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Render.jpg

Here is the model: http://digilander.libero.it/giov_lol_92/Baracca.blend

Thank you for all the work you're doing ;)

P.S: I know it's ugly... It's my first attempt to 3D graphic...

That's not bad at all, it fits in with the style bellow.

FlippantBird said:
I have made a gun in the style I like :D
fvl1qe.jpg

347iow7.jpg

425 tris, 256x256 diffuse
Awesome man. Do you reckon you could send me a copy, so I can get it ingame?

I like the style of that gun! :) It has some Comic-style, I can imagine the whole game with this graphic style. :) Something in the direction of Team Fortress 2 maybe? ^_^

with an art style like that, you can have a few wacky weapons without them looking out of place. Me likey

Back