Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

Butterman said:
Mithrildor said:
Im not very good lol. Is this anything good( It's an Assault rifle)

AssaultRifle.jpg

Tell me that I suck , or what could be better.
It's not bad, much better than I could do any day. It's very flat at the moment, it needs more detail on the sides.

I can make the angles abit nicer. But don't forget it needs textures. That CAN stay flat and thats a good thing , less polys and an easier UV map for a texturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterman said:

257mvlj.jpg

Jigen!

edit: there should be a lupin the third game on the pandora. that would be cool.

I'd totaly like to build a backgroundstory based in a steampunk world for that. Thought about a Rebels vs. Kingdom Army kind of thing.

George

Before moddeling anything you should think about a backstory. I mean, if there is a Steampunk world there is no need for "realistic" Weapons like this up there (which would look good with some textures and would be very low poly, which is good). You'd need to add a steam generator or a tube to it that gets into the Generator on the back of the model.

So there should be a decision about the world first, at least the genre.

I'll sit down this evening and write some stuff for a steampunk meats apocalyptic end times - Setting.

Let's see if you like it.

George

Mithrildor said:
assaultrifle20.jpg

New pic of Assault rifle. Like it now :D ?

Used that pic as reference.
I honestly don't see a difference :p, I still think it's good tho, but I'm going to stick with my original point about how there isn't much going on on the sides. While I do think we're going to need to cut down polygons somewhere and we could definitely use a simple version in the world view, we're going to need very detailed models for the first person view (what the player sees when he's holding the gun) as he's going to be looking at this the whole time he's playing.

GPSchnyder said:
Before moddeling anything you should think about a backstory. I mean, if there is a Steampunk world there is no need for "realistic" Weapons like this up there (which would look good with some textures and would be very low poly, which is good). You'd need to add a steam generator or a tube to it that gets into the Generator on the back of the model.

So there should be a decision about the world first, at least the genre.

I'll sit down this evening and write some stuff for a steampunk meats apocalyptic end times - Setting.

Let's see if you like it.

George
I like steampunk stuff. I disagree that steam punk stuff is low poly tho, you've gotta have clutter everywhere for it to be truly steampunk. If you've got some good ideas put them up on: http://tincs.jottit.com, that way we can get a good idea of everybody's ideas, then I can put up some polls of what everybody thinks is good, then we can move on there. For example, the TF2 style art style (repeating words everywhere aren't I) I'm interested in is just something that's going to be nominated for us to decide on at a later date. This isn't about the game the designers, writers, modelers or coders want to make, it's about the game that everybody in the Pandora community really wants to play.

emcp said:
how about a sin city kind of theme, this will set it apart from the others and will make low polygon count not to matter

ill try a get some screens tomaroow
also you seem like you know what your doing, and this is why i believe you could accoplish this, leave it to more less developed developers to make a traditional fps
Hey. Sin City is cool :D. Again, like I said to GPSchnyder, get your ideas online! http://tincs.jottit.com, you can develop them here, then we can all decide the best direction for TINCS!

MarkoeZ said:
I've been planning to get into blender, i have used 3dmax a lot and did some very basic maya stuff up till now. And i need something small to do when i want to get my head away from PandoraPanic :)

so while i don't think i'll be much use with character development (just don't have the time) or big level designs, i think i will try and make some small stuff to place in the levels, starting with some street furniture for example, light post, letterbox, maybe a car or house in the future. I'll keep checking here to make sure i've got the right mood.

I want the software collection for the Pandora to be big as well, so might as well help out here too :) Tell me if you want specific (small) stuff made.

Cheers!!
Hey! PandoraPanic is awesome man, keep it up. Yup, any props are great, we're going to need quite a lot, if we're building this from the ground up, make sure you keep checking back here and on http://tincs.jottit.com, so you can help us decide on an art direction.

atomicthumbs said:
Make it be a class-based shooter where you play as dead presidents
While that would make for very interesting gameplay, like, different presidents would be different classes, we could have quite a laugh deciding which president does what. I don't think it's a good direction in terms of depth and seriousness :D.

FlippantBird said:
Ok here is some of my sample work from the recent past.

heroan3.jpg

tuxqe6.jpg

Anyone recognize this toon?
Awesome!, no I don't :(, if you want to start playing around with an art direction you like go ahead, anything for now, then we can all decide on what we're going to do!

Yrx said:
Yrx said:
A setting that turns on or off the random event of poop whales falling from the sky. Think of it as a kind of Smash Ball feature, except deadly and hilarious.

And yes, I do mean a whale made out of feces. Same size as a blue whale.
You know, I meant this seriously.

Oh I know. But I was keeping quiet about it, so it would be a surprise for everybody. NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE :angry:

My Idea.

cartoony Maffia vs WOII, same like the style already on site.

How the maffia handle allied forces.

EDIT:

Maybe like black/white movies,

So what I like:

In WOII , Allied forces attack Italian Maffia with a small secret operation
(black/white colour pallete)
Cartoony graphics , like on the site

Mithrildor said:
My Idea.

Strangely, I really like that idea. It would be pretty crazy gameplay. Tommy Guns vs MP40s. Could we make that, Mafia VS the Axis tho?

Either way, get it up on http://tincs.jottit.com, the more of these ideas we collect the better!

Mithrildor said:
Yeah , its any very strange but fun idea.... I just came up with it lol.

EDIT:

Made a pretty long concept on the site.
Awesome. Reading it now. You know, historically, the Mafia was on the side of the allies? When Mussolini came to power, he almost crushed the Mafia, so the Mafia wanted him out. They conspired with the allies, using their knowledge of the area, to help the allies invade Italy.

Mithrildor said:
Hitler versus maffia then?

Ok I do that. Lemme change it.

EDIT: Added - optional for games- OP abilities

GPSchnyder said:
I've added my Backstory Idea
Awesome. This is really getting off the ground now. That Steampunk idea is really cool, post-apocalyptic stuff is cool. The whole rich vs the poor thing is great. Mithrildor, you've put a lot of design stuff into your back story, you can make another page in the design area if you want ;).

As a coding update, I've pretty much finished the networking side of things, performance still isn't great, it looks like I'm going to have to thread the client, he's spending way too much time processing incoming packets when the server heartbeat is more than 30 times a second. So when there are 3+ players, he's having to work through all of these messages, not allowing him to do his own work.

I've looked at using zlib to compress packets, so I can run more servers from home, I've got roughly 70kB/s here (756kb/s) up and about 2mB/s (~17000kb/s) down connection at home, it's really not in a good proportion. I want to be running two 12 man servers plus the main registry server, so it's easy to find other servers. zlib seems to require a 12byte overhead, right now I'm only using about 14bytes per packet average, so it's useless at the moment. I'm going to change how I tick the server, so instead of sending *player number* individual packets to each player, I'm just sending one big one. That way, I will be able to effectively use zlib to decrease bandwidth.

Bleh. I've got collision and stuff server side too, it's all looking quite good. Done a few tests with some mates over the net, just running into each other an stuff. I want to test it with somebody from the states, so see how it runs with a higher ping. I'm still at this problem, where over 3 players, player start to get serious lag. Hopefully the threading should solve this (it did for the server). But threading is going to cost me overhead on the Pandora, which will suck.

I really need sleep.

Mithrildor said:
My Idea.

EDIT:

Maybe like black/white movies,

So what I like:

In WOII , Allied forces attack Italian Maffia with a small secret operation
(black/white colour pallete)
Cartoony graphics , like on the site
goes with my idea of sin city,
to be more precise i was thinking about sin city black/white comic style render
with roger rabbit models :),

you know who killed roger rabbit, should of goofy cartoon style game with a dark theme

atomicthumbs said:
Can we do normal mapping capably with the Pandora's hardware?
A wee bit off topic eh?

I think it's possible, considering the shader access you have in ES 2.0, that said, I don't think you could get it performing well in a real game, possibly could perform well in a tech demo, where you just have a bump mapped wall and, say a light.

atomicthumbs said:
Can we do normal mapping capably with the Pandora's hardware?
But of course. Anything you can think of implementing in shaders can be done, of course, it doesn't mean it'll perform well with the more complex shaders.

Back