Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

PoisonedV said:
Looks nice, but collision detection in use seems ripe for exploiting, dont know if thats just to show its working or is actually going to be implemented as such
Nothing is implemented, collision will be done server side anyway, I was just testing to see if my collision functions work.

The client will just be a renderer, it will simply send any button presses or analogue movement to the server, the server will then compute them and work out the new co-ordinates of the player, then update the player himself and everybody else on the server. This makes hacks like speed hacks pretty impossible.

Keep it coming with the names, I want to do a poll this week so a name can be chosen.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many open source games are in development now, it is crazy, but awesome!

joa said:
How many open source games are in development now, it is crazy, but awesome!
Yup, I want the Pandora to be a success, so I've got to do my part! Everybody should try and contribute to something for the Pandora, even if it's just testing applications for developers, everything helps.

Hi,
Nice Idea, and the Videos look good.

I'd like to contribute, but I'm no Programmer or Modeler.
What I an is a Writer and Filmmaker. So if there is a need to develope a World for the Game and do some Videos to play (Intro, Shorts to capture the mood, Instructions to the Levels) I'd like to help there.

Would really like to build a World for a Computer Game, and an Community developed one sounds great to me.

So, need someone to build you a world to fight in?

George

puppydee said:
How about hellollo strike? just kidding :)

You must put hellollo somewhere in the game. Maybe some graffiti on a wall or something :)
:lol: +1

Looks pretty good, you seem to have quite a bit of an engine already done.
Only thing you might want to think about is controls. An FPS like counterstrike (where accuracy is very important) is pretty tough to play with an analog stick. You might want to try giving the player more health than they get in CS to counter this. Of course, it's all gameplay mechanics, and I'm sure you'll be able to test it enough to work it out at a later stage.

Good luck!

Tobs

Tobs said:
Looks pretty good, you seem to have quite a bit of an engine already done.
Only thing you might want to think about is controls. An FPS like counterstrike (where accuracy is very important) is pretty tough to play with an analog stick. You might want to try giving the player more health than they get in CS to counter this. Of course, it's all gameplay mechanics, and I'm sure you'll be able to test it enough to work it out at a later stage.

Good luck!

Tobs
Yeah, it's going to require serious work. I'm planning on keeping vertical aiming at minimum. Right now on the windows versions, the keys are:

A + D for turning the camera
W + S for moving forward/back in whatever direction you're looking at

So, at the moment there is no vertical aiming, and won't be until we're using the analogue nubs on the Pandora.

Mithrildor said:
I could make some low-poly weapons in sketchup if needed.
Sure, could you send me a PM with your email address, so i can email you?

Im not very good lol. Is this anything good( It's an Assault rifle)

AssaultRifle.jpg

Tell me that I suck , or what could be better.

Mithrildor said:
Im not very good lol. Is this anything good( It's an Assault rifle)

AssaultRifle.jpg

Tell me that I suck , or what could be better.
It's not bad, much better than I could do any day. It's very flat at the moment, it needs more detail on the sides.

This all looks great! Do you plan on keeping the original counter strike visual style or do you want a new style? I would love to draw character concepts and model them if you like. I'm thinking tf2 meets steampunk meets middle earth visuals... I'll draw something up after work...

FlippantBird said:
This all looks great! Do you plan on keeping the original counter strike visual style or do you want a new style? I would love to draw character concepts and model them if you like. I'm thinking tf2 meets steampunk meets middle earth visuals... I'll draw something up after work...
Strange you may say that, I've been in contact with a modeler on these forums who's interested in doing some work for TINCS, have a look at some of his work.

(I hope he won't mind me posting this)

I saw this and I immediately thought TF2 STYLE TINCS FTW.

I've put up a jottit site for TINCS,(http://tincs.jottit.com/) if anybody wants to add anything (art, design, story) knock yourself out. Just try not to destroy anything somebody else has put up there, if we have conflicting ideas we can take a poll or something. We've had really heavy snow over here today, so all buses and trains were canceled, so I couldn't get into College, so I spent a good chunk of my day coding, I've got the server running, it receives keypress information from clients and calculates their new positions and relays it back to them, I've tested this all working. So far so good.

http://tincs.jottit.com

FlippantBird said:
I would love to draw character concepts and model them if you like. I'm thinking tf2 meets steampunk meets middle earth visuals... I'll draw something up after work...
A steampunk fps sounds pretty great if you ask me. If you need ideas for gadgets and the like, give me a pm :)

how about a sin city kind of theme, this will set it apart from the others and will make low polygon count not to matter

im sorry to say but most fps are the same, yours could be tottally different if you made it like so
another thins that could added is something much like mirros edge, basically have things such as the wee ninja knives that can be chucked around bright red, add some free running (but in due course)

hav different gadgets, not just a gun and a kinfe, mmaybe even things such as ropes to climb up and down of buildings

i do realise the this would require your own engine which i believe your doing anyway

i believe that if you get a good foundation and get the game to a basic start features such as this which makes the game so much more interesting will be a breeze,

for models you could use real people, or maybe something like iron man the first suit

basically mkae it your own, just dont do anyother fps, large companies focus on profit and so reuse the same thing over and over again, i dont believe this is particularly hard if you have a good engine (irrlicht even, which i did hear was being ported)

ill try a get some screens tomaroow
also you seem like you know what your doing, and this is why i believe you could accoplish this, leave it to more less developed developers to make a traditional fps

I've been planning to get into blender, i have used 3dmax a lot and did some very basic maya stuff up till now. And i need something small to do when i want to get my head away from PandoraPanic :)

so while i don't think i'll be much use with character development (just don't have the time) or big level designs, i think i will try and make some small stuff to place in the levels, starting with some street furniture for example, light post, letterbox, maybe a car or house in the future. I'll keep checking here to make sure i've got the right mood.

I want the software collection for the Pandora to be big as well, so might as well help out here too :) Tell me if you want specific (small) stuff made.

Cheers!!

Yrx said:
A setting that turns on or off the random event of poop whales falling from the sky. Think of it as a kind of Smash Ball feature, except deadly and hilarious.

And yes, I do mean a whale made out of feces. Same size as a blue whale.
You know, I meant this seriously.

Back