Pandora Tincs - Multiplayer Shooter For Pandora (video)

I dig the steam punk/cyber punk crossover. Its a little Final Fantasyish (VII-X) where people live in both big cities and small villages. They use both primitive power and way advanced technology in a blended environment. With there being no inbetween, its basically taking the best of both worlds and putting them together. This could make for quite an interesting environment and set of weapons. Plus, utilizing both categories as one would satiate taste on both sides of the fence. Seems rather brilliant to me.

Oh i do understand that emcp. Just because i want to confirm the art style quickly as possible doesnt mean that i dont want to make it as good as possible. But in the larger picture the art style and gameplay come secondary to making a finished and polished game.
This probably sounds ignorant and lazy towards gameplay, but it just means that you have to make a compromise between complexity and acheiveability.
Oh and just so you know i dont agree with the steampunk and cyberpunk cross over. It makes no logical sense and just plain and simply doesnt work.

Cyberpunk is a VERY broad genre, but all it is really describing is decrepit society and futuristic technology in the same world. Hell the only reason why i used the word is because people in this thread only seem to like something if it has a buzzword such as steam punk or cyberpunk.

Please Dont dumb down what Im trying to do by saying "
how about we combine them both (THERES YOUR STORY AND MANY GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS)".

I havent had time to document and draw what i want to achieve and hopefully i should have some time today and tomorrow.

While our art style will definitely lead to the back story of the game.

Back story nor art will ever lead to game play decisions. The other way around may take place. But if you're ever deciding gameplay from your backstory you're doing it wrong. Take this from somebody who has been making/designing/programmer arting games for quite a long time.

WTF is cyberpunk gameplay dude? Oh, what you've played on Dystopia? Dystopia is pretty much Team Fortress with a hacking mini-game.

We want a sick art style that makes people say, oh wow I wanna play that. We want gameplay that keeps the players playing .

The way I see it. we've got a good bunch of general gameplay styles we can choose, (if we don't decide to make something new up, risky ).

- Solid team deathmatch (Think counter strike). We would really base this all about team gameplay.
- General Shooter (deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF). Think Quake 3, we mix it up, give the player lots of different ways of playing. But less work is done on each mode.
- Objective based gameplay. (Team-Fortress (you could also say CS)). All about working as a team to accomplish something that's above the whole team.

These are very safe ways of playing it and pretty much all of the choice there is, every multiplayer shooter can be broken down to this gameplay. In all three options we could have classes (or not). One thing I'm aiming for no matter what we try and do, is some form of zombie attack mode, I fucking love Left4Dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah agreed.

Anyways a bit of conceptart that im currently working on to show you guys some more thoughts.
streetconcept_1.jpg

So far im thinking this image is shows a world with too much space, so i need to make it a bit more claustrophobic. Also play on the idea of deteriorating society a bit more as well.

I think ive decided that every morning im going to wake up an hour early and start making props for this game. I can handle not sleeping in till 7....

Ill try and finish that concept image tonight.

Butterman, could i get a breakdown on poly limits for props?

For now i'm just going to model and texture generic level design pieces that are style independent. Eg, crates, chairs, tables. And if we decide on an obscure style well it would have been good practice anyway.

@: Butterman:

Maybe we can start with solid Team and normal Deathmatch first and we can add Capture the flag, objective teamplay etc later?

@: Muzz: Looking nice. I like eternalodyssey's idea of huge cyberpunk citys and small steampunk towns. Could you make art of a Steampunk village at the corner of a cyberpunk city so we can see how nice the contrast between those is gonna be. It would be cool if you made the city very dark (with dark sky) and the area outta there beautiful with a blue sky.

Muzz style is perfect.
I like steampunk too. I think that a combinattion of these 2 styes is the way to go for this project...
Later I will post another weapon to communicate what I've in mind for "steampunk"...

The Vorporeal's idea is intresting: 2 teams with different styles.

My 2 cents

Thanks guys.

In the organization of this thing, i want to do take down who is actually committed to this project, and what skills you guys have, and a little bit of background info.

So could you guys go to this page and enter your info.
CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/volunteer_database.

I can't draw and I can not code very much C++, I have learnd basic things likes , stuct(), mult() , pointers, main() and such easy beginner stuff.

But I can think. But thats not worth entering my info.

Nice cannon. Although I don't liek the 'happy' colours (yellow, green and blue). Texture's should have a more serious feel (You don't go in war with yellow and happy green colours on your weapons ,do you?

Not always what is more expected (like serious color) is what people like.....
But you're right...

Well, the Colors can work if we decide to do the Cartoony style. But for a serious background/Style we should redo the colors.

BTW, here iss my take on Steampunk vs. Cyberpunk:

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/steampunk_vs._cyberpunk

Ok. The deadline for art styles is next Saturday, so a week from now.

So on Sunday I can compile everything and we can have a poll up in order to decide our final style.

That will be a FINAL decision. No going back.

Nice cannon giovanni, much more steampunk, but I'm not sure about the birght colours! :p

2a8hi80.jpg

2jcvqmx.jpg

£130 (~$200) worth of kit. (Sexy table cloth eh?).

It's awesome gear for gaming, I ran a 23 headshot spree on TF2 (sniper) when I was first testing it out. It's even better for coding. The keys are flat like a laptop, so it takes less time to get key input I really feel like I'm typing faster on this. It's comfortable to use and lights up in the dark. (Not that I need lights to know what keys I'm pressing *sigh*).

I'm without a desk at the moment, so I've combined a bookshelf and a small table, it's working but it's not the greatest setup.

Anyway, thoroughly recommend this shizzle to anybody who games. Best damn £130 I've ever spent.

'Muzz' said:
Yeah agreed.

Anyways a bit of conceptart that im currently working on to show you guys some more thoughts.
streetconcept_1.jpg

So far im thinking this image is shows a world with too much space, so i need to make it a bit more claustrophobic. Also play on the idea of deteriorating society a bit more as well.
Sorry, for me, this looks like it could be a scene from nearly 90% of the available 3D Shooters. Nothing special or exiting.
However, you have talent for drawing. :)

'giovanni' said:
This is my cannon Remodeled:

http://gionavvi.altervista.org/Fux.zip

I don't know why but I wanted to make it colorful... I hope it's more Steampunk than the first one...
I will try to animate it soon...

If you have critiques (and I know you have) feel free to post them...

Quick render:
http://gionavvi.altervista.org/Previsione.jpg
I would replace the "wood" parts with solid Metal and add more Rivets. ;) Shape looks good.

OK guys, now that we have a deadline for art pitches, we need to get all those ideas from your head and insert them onto a page on the tincs website.

Try to avoid explaining things with buzz words like, steampunk or deisel punk in the pitch, it really just limits the imagination of the reader.
If your not an artist gather example images close to what you want, but if you are an artist i would like to see drawn stuff.

I think its fair that the only pitches that we vote on are ones that have their own finished page. Also only make a pitch if you intend on following this project through. I don't want to work on someones idea where they wont even sacrifice their own time to help. Also try to only pitch 1 idea per person, that way you put all your effort into that one page, and therefore you put more thought into it.
Think of this pitch as something you would actually pitch to an actual publisher, try to explain why the art style is a good idea and how it applies to the target audience.

Im not the lead so what i say isn't final, but i highly suggest you do it if you want your idea to be taken seriously.

P.s. run a spell checker over it before the vote.

fusion_power: Aiming for uniqueness isnt always something to strive for, playability and atmosphere on the other hand is. Im sure you have heard the idea that everything has been done before, its how you utilize it that makes the difference.

Back