Thinking Of Getting A Gpx2?

idjit626

I have a few questions maybe you can answer for me?

-Dose it play NES/SNES games? :)
-Dose it play N64 games? :blink:
-Has somone made Doom 2 on the GPX2 (if so and it works perfect I am definetly getting one)
-If I get one should I keep my Nintendo DS (I never play the dang thing)

Okay, thank you! I guess I am gonna get one after I trade in my DS + games. Also I already have $100 or so.

I was looking at the homebrew games and they look neat! :lol:

keep your ds! as of yet playing gameboy advance on the gp2x is not possible. there is a promising emulator out there and development on others but they are not ready yet and it is worth having a system like the ds which not only has portable n64 like capabilities but runs gb advance games...

Id keep the ds, unless you absoluetly hate GBA games (as said above) thats a big upper for the DS, but yeah get the 2x, its a great little machine, and can play Doom (1, 2 ultimate etc) Quake, Duke Nukem, Marathon, and alot more (if your an old fps fan) and has tons of great homebrew, old pc games (Descent, Scumm, and emulators, i recomend it (just make sure to get a good sd card!)

I have both a GP2X and a DS and I find they compliment each other quite well. If you don't ever play the DS, then I guess you may as well sell it (better that than letting it sit, I guess) but if you're thinking "either/or", my answer would be "both".

Also, Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom runs quite well on the 2X, though the setup can be a little confusing for newbies.

It's a great little machine. So long as you enjoy messing around with things and don't mind a little reading to get some things working you won't be disappointed.

SWEET! I am gonna get one! OK, so should I trade in my DS I do have a Game Boy Advanced SP

Also is there a way to run old dos games on it? I have a few old games like this Star Wars FPS wich is loads of fun but I cant play it cus Windows XP has no dos )^= Also I have Tye Fighter where you get to fly the Tye fighters and bombers and stuff its cool! Also X-wing you can fly X-Wings and shitz! I cant play um tho could the GPX2 play them? :eek: If it can I am getting one ASAP.

Viking posted on Feb 18 2007 at 10:56 PM said:
SWEET! I am gonna get one! OK, so should I trade in my DS I do have a Game Boy Advanced SP

Also is there a way to run old dos games on it? I have a few old games like this Star Wars FPS wich is loads of fun but I cant play it cus Windows XP has no dos )^= Also I have Tye Fighter where you get to fly the Tye fighters and bombers and stuff its cool! Also X-wing you can fly X-Wings and shitz! I cant play um tho could the GPX2 play them? :eek: If it can I am getting one ASAP.

Not yet.

If someone made an interpreter for the GP2X like they did for Doom, Doom2, Hexen, etc then Starwars Dark forces would work. As of now there is no interpreter for those but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

Suggest it in the "cool ideas" thread and see what happens.

There is so much other stuff to keep you busy that it is not a big deal. My 4 gigabyte card is filled already :(

We need 8-gig SD cards now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DOS emulator is too slow to play games with. It always will be, as its very hard to emulate a PC.

But if you download DosBox for PC you can play the games in XP at least.

@DaveC: Nobody will ever be bored enough to reverse engineer those games.

Viking posted on Feb 18 2007 at 05:56 PM said:

DOSbox on the GP2X is not very good, and odds are that's not going to change any time soon. So no, unless there is an interpreter for it, you won't play it on GP2X.

However, it's not true you can't play those on Windows XP. Just get DOSbox for Windows. :)

Ok, I will get one for DOOM and QUAKE and stuff! Also, I still cant decide on tradiny my DS or not. I never use it but when LOZ: PH comes out than I will be wanting it? No other games I care about tho. I could always emulate the DS on my computer...

Viking posted on Feb 18 2007 at 03:06 PM said:
Ok, I will get one for DOOM and QUAKE and stuff! Also, I still cant decide on tradiny my DS or not. I never use it but when LOZ: PH comes out than I will be wanting it? No other games I care about tho. I could always emulate the DS on my computer...

Emulating the DS on the PC would be a difficult task, last time I checked, though I suppose it is possible the emulators have seen a lot of progress.

Just keep the damn thing and experiment with various games that look interesting. Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, etc. etc. It's only 30 dollars a game, that's not a bad price at all.

Cruel posted on Feb 19 2007 at 07:55 AM said:
I could always emulate the DS on my computer

No. Not just yet. Progress of the DS emulator isn`t enough for normal gaming. I`d say it`s simular PS2 situation.

Right now the DS is the best handheld for commercial games hands down. And it's only getting better with time.

Especially if you have a DS Lite, there should be no reason for you to trade in or sell it. It's a damn good system.

Viking posted on Feb 18 2007 at 11:06 PM said:
I could always emulate the DS on my computer...

I`d keep the DS for the time being, As you can see, Your computer is probably not as portable as the DS for on the go gaming. :rolleyes:

PortableComputer.jpg

Trooper

Back