Gpx2 Amiga Emu Chances??

feddon

just wondering if the devs, believe amiga is a good possibility on gpx2.
its very important in influencing my decision of buying one.

If i can play settlers, SWOS, Syndicate (proper version not SNES etc) and all my other old classic 500/1200 games i would snap up a gpx2 in a second.

feddon posted on Aug 4 2005 at 11:18 PM said:

If i can play settlers, SWOS, Syndicate (proper version not SNES etc) and all my other old classic 500/1200 games i would snap up a gpx2 in a second.
it would be fantastic if an amiga emu can be achieved, but the dream emu for me would be an x68000 emu which also could be a possibility. I don't know if emulating midi sound support and it's 6mb ram (needed for certain games) would be difficult, but if it is possible many capcom and konami games were arcade perfect ports with enhanced midi soundtracks. Games like dracula x and ghouls and ghosts as well as street fighter 2 were staggering conversions and make the amiga look very poor in comparison. Heres hoping!

Last edited by a moderator:
feddon posted on Aug 4 2005 at 10:18 PM said:

Its unlikely that such a old computer would even be considered. Most people would be much more interessed in BBC emulation due to its better graphics/sounds, and its cute logo of an owl.

it shoul be possible but only when we are realy able to use the 2nd arm fir general purpose, but that it is possible do not mean that someone will do it.

Cyclops posted on Aug 4 2005 at 10:54 PM said:
feddon posted on Aug 4 2005 at 10:18 PM said:

Its unlikely that such a old computer would even be considered. Most people would be much more interessed in BBC emulation due to its better graphics/sounds, and its cute logo of an owl.

Are you sure you've got your time-table right? I THINK the Amiga is the more advanced of the two.
I've would'nt claim to have any first hand knowlegde about the BBC, but I think the BBC is 8 bit and the Amiga is 16 bit (if it's not the 32 bit - like Amiga 1200).

I don't think anyone can say for sure, until we can find out exactly what the machine can do. At its basic specs (200Mhz, 64Mb RAM), it's unlikely to emulate anything at a playable rate, apart from some puzzle games/etc.

Personally, I think Gamepark should send me a sample one for, erm, review purposes :)

Well, my 150mhz Cyrix arcade cabinet can run amiga games at full speed with sound, but that's with FELLOW...

ASM anyone?

Cyclops posted on Aug 4 2005 at 11:54 PM said:
LOL - did you used to own an ST ? The bitter rivalry lives on.

Plus seen as it has a OS to power as well, you dont know how much system resources would be left...

Amiga would be great but it is also Powerfull :p

Bronze posted on Aug 5 2005 at 10:30 AM said:
If it doesn't emulate Amiga then I frankly won't even consider buying one.
Its the only other machine I'm interested in emulating

yeh me 2

Probably get a psp otherwise (however much i dont really want to)

thanks for the replys guys

Well theres a port of UAE available for 200mhz palms (eg zodiac) so we'll almost certainly see a port to the gpx2, but I've never tried it so I don't know what the speed is like. And as Squidge says, we won't know how well things will play until we know more about the device and someone has done a basic port.

Bronze posted on Aug 5 2005 at 11:30 AM said:
If it doesn't emulate Amiga then I frankly won't even consider buying one.
Its the only other machine I'm interested in emulating
What are you doing on this site then? The GP32 doesn't emulate Amiga.

NAME BBC Model A / B / B+
MANUFACTURER Acorn Computer
TYPE Home Computer
ORIGIN United Kingdom
YEAR 1981
END OF PRODUCTION Unknown
BUILT IN LANGUAGE BBC Basic
KEYBOARD Full-stroke QWERTY keyboard, 64 keys, 10 function keys, arrow keys
CPU MOS 6502
SPEED 1.8 MHz
RAM Model 1 : 16 kb
Model B : 32 kb
Model B+ : 64 kb
ROM 32 kb
TEXT MODES 80 x 32/25 (2 colors) / 40 x 32/25 (2 or 4 colors) / 20 x 32 (16 colors) / 40 x 25 (Teletext display)
GRAPHIC MODES 640 x 256 (2 colors) / 320 x 256 (4 colors) / 160 x 256 (16 colors)
COLORS 16 (8 colors + flashing option)
SOUND 3 channels + 1 noise channel, 7 octaves
SIZE / WEIGHT 41 (W) x 34.5 (D) x 6.5 (H) cm / 3700 g
I/O PORTS UHF TV out, BNC video out, RGB vide out, RS423, Cassette, Analogue In (DB15), Econet port, TUBE interface, 1Mhz BUS, User port, Printer port, Disk-drive connector
POWER SUPPLY Built-in switching PSU
PERIPHERALS Controler card for 1 to 4 5'1/4 F.D. drives (1 400 F.F)
Floppy disk unit 5'1/4 250 Ko. (3 900 F.F.)
Numerical cassette recorder 100 Ko. (3 000 F.F.)
Second 6502 microprocessor with card (3
PRICE £399 (UK 1983) - 1181 (France, February 1984)

Pretty certain I mean BBC B it was a far superior machine. Unlike the Atari st/Amiga it had no OS to speak of to get in the way unlike that of the Atari st and Amiga what a memory hog those were

er lol. In that case the ZX81 rocked the BBC B's ass...

Firmware: 3.25 MHz Zilog Z80A CPU
8K ROM, 1K RAM externally expandable to 64K (56K usable)
Display: 24 lines x 32 character text display
Sound: None
I/O: Z80 bus, 250 baud cassette interface, UHF television out
Storage: External cassette recorder

amiga was/is 1000x better then BBC,
And the reson im not really interested in gpx2 if it doesnt emu amiga is because without amiga it doesnt offer enough extra,
to me anything Megadrive or earlier (Snes being just ok) is good enough on GP32 and im not paying 150 quid for a bit faster snes.
Ill wait and see what happens till christmas it could come out and blow our minds, we just dont know.
Thanks

@ Cyclops:

I just don't think I follow you at all - Was the BBC better than a home-computer which was lauched 6 years later.... because it wasn't burdened with a OS?

I don't get it...

Back