A Few Questions

Ninjia^

Website
Visit site
Hey, I have a few questions about the GPX2 that have been bugging me.

1. DRM?? Does this mean that all of my Mp3s will be checked before I can play them and will be rejected if they have been downloaded off the net?

2. Will the Linux OS mean that any linux app can be ported over onto the GPX2 as long as it doesnt overstep the processing requirements assuming someone is willing to port it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I think the GPX2 looks like an amazing hand held and its mainly the mp3 thing thats stopping me from pre-ordering at the moment as its one of the main reasons I would purchase one.

As far as I know DRM only works on DRM protected media. Which means that only the media with DRM protection will be affected. You can't play DRM protected media without the support for it either (unless you crack it). I've never heard of any DRM protected MP3s yet. But all those MP3s you have should play without any trouble.

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 14 2005 at 09:02 PM said:
As far as I know DRM only works on DRM protected media. Which means that only the media with DRM protection will be affected. You can't play DRM protected media without the support for it either (unless you crack it). I've never heard of any DRM protected MP3s yet. But all those MP3s you have should play without any trouble.
What about WMV? I know they are protected.

Last edited by a moderator:
WMV have support for DRM protection but that doesn't mean that every WMV is DRM protected. It's up to the creator of the media to protect it or not.

I don't recall if it was DRM that required it but there was a protection I read about that required even the monitor to support the protection. My guess is that DRM requires support from all hardware to be played. If it didn't require the monitor to support DRM protection you only had to plug in a recoring device instead of the monitor to bypass the protection. When it comes to sound I don't know how far the protection goes.

You are probably right. DRM will probably do a lot to reduce piracy. And if you are planning to play movies from an SD card they will already have to be compressed so much that you can get it into a non protected form. DRM for movies are mostly meant for HD material and it's very possible that you have access to DVD quality without DRM capable equipment considering the fact that most people won't have DRM or HD capable TVs any time soon, in EU that is. Oh, and there may be a thing with DRM protected music as well.

Back