There Will Be 2 Consoles Xgp And Gpx2

Esn posted on Jul 25 2005 at 03:42 AM said:
junker posted on Jul 25 2005 at 01:09 AM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 11:49 PM said:
junker posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:13 PM said:
yeah, exactly. powerful system, too bad it was a failure over here.
speaking of the saturn, its d-pad is perfect, much more natural than the ps's 4 way piece of crap(for fighting games AND everything else). i hope this system has something similar...

Alright, what the hell? How can the PSX's d-pad possibly give you any trouble? It's the same thing as just about every other d-pad out there, except it's harder to screw up by hitting a diagonal when you didn't want to.

it's not bad, but it certainly isn't the best! it wears your thumb out WAY more than 8way pads, and not just when it comes to fighting games, but also platformers, shmups, and a few others. in the case of rpgs and games that don't need much diagonal movement, it's better.

it's not too bad, but playing games like gunstar heroes on the psp really makes me wish the dpad wasn't designed that way!

As I said before, the Sega Nomad's D-pad was the best - similar to the GP32's in feel but more stable, responsive, no problems with diagonals, no clickiness (although this isn't a big issue for me), and dust was very unlikely to get in.

yeah, i used to have a nomad myself, and yeah, i remember it having a good dpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 25 2005 at 05:38 AM said:
x68000 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:46 AM said:
Rob posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:49 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 24 2005 at 08:26 PM said:
Last time I checked, commercial support and homebrew didn't mix too well...

Yeah, you're completely right but the last time I checked XGP isn't supposed to be homebrew.

as far as we know, it is mainly being marketed on its strength, being that it can record korean tv broadcasts or somthing along those lines.

real commercial support is very very unlikely so don't be surprised if it becomes open source not long after its launch.

Even still the 16:9 widescreen will make it poor for emulation.

would that 16:9 screen have any benefits emulation wise for any newer systems? I'm scratching my head thinking of anything other than the current generation of consoles which utilise widescreen. Did the psx or anything else take advantage of 16:9?

Jarska333 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:47 PM said:
Hu at what on earth is a "GP headphone"? GBAX e-bay units supposedly have such a thing...

just means that they come with a set of gamepark headphones!

Magus 86 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 01:55 AM said:
Last time I checked, according to Craig, we won't be dissapointed by the system that he's supporting... and last time I checked, the GP32 was open source... and most of us are expecting another open source machine that's going to be compatible with the current one so hardly any work if any will need to be done to make the programs we use now work on the new system... If it wasn't open source, most of us would be dissapointed... so... one can only conclude that the most likely option is that it will be open source, meaning there will be homebrew content for it, and the company making it won't have a problem with that.

Yeah, you're again completely right except that last time I checked Craig will be selling GPX and last time I checked XGP will be the one from the other Game Park manufacturer.

Angel posted on Jul 25 2005 at 03:01 PM said:
i happen to like the Neo Geo pockets d-stick the best out of all my handhelds.

yeah me too :)
it's really lovely with shoot (Cotton) or Puzzle (Puyo Pop) or Action (Metal Slug) games :p
that's why I said I would love one stick like this + one D-pad or whatever it's called like the Saturn pad !

Rob posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:24 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 01:55 AM said:
Last time I checked, according to Craig, we won't be dissapointed by the system that he's supporting... and last time I checked, the GP32 was open source... and most of us are expecting another open source machine that's going to be compatible with the current one so hardly any work if any will need to be done to make the programs we use now work on the new system... If it wasn't open source, most of us would be dissapointed... so... one can only conclude that the most likely option is that it will be open source, meaning there will be homebrew content for it, and the company making it won't have a problem with that.

Yeah, you're again completely right except that last time I checked Craig will be selling GPX and last time I checked XGP will be the one from the other Game Park manufacturer.

Okay... what's your point?

My point is that we mustn't hurry to pick up the beefed up GP32 successor but we must wait to see the other one (XGP). I think that a decent commercial support and widescreen are big advantages (when it unfortunately won't have emulators) so XGP could win the battle. Especially if lik-sang and play-asia sell it (It would be great if Craig sell it too but I don't think that Gamepark Holdings would allow him).

Rob posted on Jul 25 2005 at 03:52 PM said:
My point is that we mustn't hurry to pick up the beefed up GP32 successor but we must wait to see the other one (XGP). I think that a decent commercial support and widescreen are big advantages (when it unfortunately won't have emulators) so XGP could win the battle. Especially if lik-sang and play-asia sell it (It would be great if Craig sell it too but I don't think that Gamepark Holdings would allow him).

I only really want a portable system for emulation and homebrew games, though... so like I was saying, I highly doubt that anything about the XGP will blow me away. Widescreen means nothing to me, and "decent" commecrial support is a matter of opinion. It's highly unlikely that they'll get commercial support from good game companies anyway... even if they do, those companies will most likely eventually drop the support because they won't be getting many sales from the XGP. It'll probably be a waste of money for them because most gamers only know about the big console companies and wouldn't take a chance on some relatively unknown Korean handheld. So... unless the commercial support they get includes having some great PSX games(Tobal 2, Ehrgeiz, FF7, FF9, Jet Moto, Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Bushido Blade 2, Twisted Metal 2) made for the system, I'll have no reason to buy it... unless it ends up actually being able to decently emulate PSX... but by the time that happens, it'll probably have dropped in price dramatically, and I'll have a GPX2 most likely. Even if it does have those games on it or can emulate PSX, it'll still have a widescreen which has absolutely no point or benefit and actually makes emulation and playing games that weren't made for that ratio look retarded.

I'm not saying that nobody has any reason to buy it. I'm simply saying that I personally have no reason to buy it. If you think it'll be worth it and want to spend your money on it, go right ahead.

PAH! widescreen.... the only use that has is for movies. Otherwise meh.

it wont have many commercial games at all in reality though. Look at the gp32. Apart from a few 3rd rate titles from gamepark, it had none.
how will this be any different? no repected japanese softco's will give a modestly manufactured korean console a second glance. Just watch how long it will take before it becomes open source.

gbax.com posted on July 22nd said:
GBAX.com crazy sale starts tomorrow on ebay, after that GBAX.com will be re-launching with a cool new facelift and new payment servers (protx), and some very exciting new products ;)

GPX? :p

junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:11 AM said:
don't forget commercial games! better in widescreen.

How are they better in widescreen? What makes them better? You can see more things on the screen at once... whoopty-doo! it makes no difference. it doesn't add to the game experience, it doesn't make anything actually look better or sound better. It doesn't make the game more fun to play... it does NOTHING. "widescreen is better" is just some BS put into your head by the companies that make those damn widescreen TVs. Even if widescreen actually made commercial games better somehow, almost all of us want this thing for emulation anyway. And we all know that widescreen format is HORRIBLE for emulation becuase every system that will be emulated is in a different ratio... so we'll either have about 1/3 of the screen not used(and a smaller picture), or it'll have to be stretched out, causing the picture to look like complete shit.

Alright, Magus 86 is right about the emulation stuffs but widescreen means better gaming experience (PSP) plus good commercial games are possible even for Gamepark. I don't think that EA, Sega, Namco or Capcom would sit down and develop games for XGP but if Gamepark has enough money they can buy the rights for titles like Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil and port them to XGP B).

how does it make the gaming experience better? I have yet to see any evidence of it at all.

Back