There Will Be 2 Consoles Xgp And Gpx2


DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Rob posted on Jul 26 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
Alright, Magus 86 is right about the emulation stuffs but widescreen means better gaming experience (PSP) plus good commercial games are possible even for Gamepark. I don't think that EA, Sega, Namco or Capcom would sit down and develop games for XGP but if Gamepark has enough money they can buy the rights for titles like Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil and port them to XGP B).

No widescreen does not mean better gaming experience.
It means absolutely nothing. @ Magus it doesn't even mean you can see more on screen. Resolution only has an effect on that. If the screen is wide and short or tall and narrow has no effect on anything for games. A native game will look just as good in either format. Ever notice that alot of arcade games were vertical oriented? So much for the widescreen theory ;) Widescreen is better for MOVIES only, because it matches the widescreen format used in movies. Sony made the PSP widescreen because they were going to release a bunch of movie UMDs on it, and that is it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

junker

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,290
Magus 86 posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:11 AM said:
don't forget commercial games! better in widescreen.

How are they better in widescreen? What makes them better? You can see more things on the screen at once... whoopty-doo! it makes no difference. it doesn't add to the game experience, it doesn't make anything actually look better or sound better. It doesn't make the game more fun to play... it does NOTHING. "widescreen is better" is just some BS put into your head by the companies that make those damn widescreen TVs. Even if widescreen actually made commercial games better somehow, almost all of us want this thing for emulation anyway. And we all know that widescreen format is HORRIBLE for emulation becuase every system that will be emulated is in a different ratio... so we'll either have about 1/3 of the screen not used(and a smaller picture), or it'll have to be stretched out, causing the picture to look like complete shit.
huh?
having a wider screen is obviously better than regular 4:3 since you put more of the screen in front of your eyes! especially when sitting back. that reason alone is why widescreen is usually better, not because you can see more on screen(resolution for that).
only better for movies? yeaha right!
and those vertical arcade shooters, a good portion of them had the screen tilted 90degrees so BOOYAH.
and there are cases where having more on screen wouldn't be better, but i can't think of any..

and maaan, why the fuck are you bringing up emulation? i know widescreen is shit for emulation! read my other posts, i have a psp myself and have always disliked/complained about the stretching due to its rez and 16:9 screen.
i was referring to commercial games.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
Rob posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
Alright, Magus 86 is right about the emulation stuffs but widescreen means better gaming experience (PSP) plus good commercial games are possible even for Gamepark. I don't think that EA, Sega, Namco or Capcom would sit down and develop games for XGP but if Gamepark has enough money they can buy the rights for titles like Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil and port them to XGP B).
don't get your hopes up with regards to commercial support, gamepark are a miniscule company who frankly don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to 3rd party support. The handheld gaming arena is already becoming saturated and if products from much much larger companies such as from tiger and nokia can't cut it, then gamepark have absolutley no chance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LHC

hello
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
1,822
Age
33
Location
Sheffield (mostly)
Website
Visit site
Rob posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
if Gamepark has enough money they can buy the rights for titles like Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil and port them to XGP B).
Shit man, these are the unlikeliest series they are going to get.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
134
Age
31
Website
Visit site
x68000 posted on Jul 26 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
don't get your hopes up with regards to commercial support, gamepark are a miniscule company who frankly don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to 3rd party support. The handheld gaming arena is already becoming saturated and if products from much much larger companies such as from tiger and nokia can't cut it, then gamepark have absolutley no chance.

LHC posted on Jul 26 2005 at 09:03 PM said:
Shit man, these are the unlikeliest series they are going to get.
Well, you are really wrtiting in vain, especially LHC. Don't you forget too quickly Tiger Game.com handheld. Nope, this company luckily is not involved with Gizmondo. It was the first touchscreen handheld and it was produced by a NOT large scale company but look at the list of games (most of them were ports by people not involved by the real developers):
Batman and Robin
Centipede
Duke Nukem 3D
Fighters MegaMix
Frogger
Henry
Indy 500
Jeopardy!
Lights Out (shipped with new game.com handhelds; never sold separately)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Monopoly
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Quiz Whiz: Cyber Trivia
Resident Evil 2
Scrabble
Sonic Jam
Tiger Casino
Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune 2
Williams Arcade Classics
Won't you be happy if XGP has similar games? ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
we'd all be very happy with commercial games support but tiger ARE a giant multinational company with huge financial backing and the same goes for nokia. Both could not get it right simply because there are bigger boys on the block and if that is the case for them, then their is no hope for commercial support for a little known korean handheld which may never be released outside of it's native country.
 

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:11 AM said:
don't forget commercial games! better in widescreen.

How are they better in widescreen? What makes them better? You can see more things on the screen at once... whoopty-doo! it makes no difference. it doesn't add to the game experience, it doesn't make anything actually look better or sound better. It doesn't make the game more fun to play... it does NOTHING. "widescreen is better" is just some BS put into your head by the companies that make those damn widescreen TVs. Even if widescreen actually made commercial games better somehow, almost all of us want this thing for emulation anyway. And we all know that widescreen format is HORRIBLE for emulation becuase every system that will be emulated is in a different ratio... so we'll either have about 1/3 of the screen not used(and a smaller picture), or it'll have to be stretched out, causing the picture to look like complete shit.
huh?
having a wider screen is obviously better than regular 4:3 since you put more of the screen in front of your eyes! especially when sitting back. that reason alone is why widescreen is usually better, not because you can see more on screen(resolution for that).
only better for movies? yeaha right!
and those vertical arcade shooters, a good portion of them had the screen tilted 90degrees so BOOYAH.
and there are cases where having more on screen wouldn't be better, but i can't think of any..

and maaan, why the fuck are you bringing up emulation? i know widescreen is shit for emulation! read my other posts, i have a psp myself and have always disliked/complained about the stretching due to its rez and 16:9 screen.
i was referring to commercial games.
Again that is wrong. Screen *area* (L x h) is what "puts more in front of your eyes" not aspect, the screen could be a circle, if it has more area you see more no matter what the shape. A widescreen could be considered a 4:3 with the top and bottom cut off. Again widescreen was invented in the movies to differentiate from TV then TVs followed to imitate the movies. So it is all about movies.

Why the talk about emulation? Cause that is what this system will be used for. If you think that it will be some big commercial success against Sony and Nintendo than you are just stupid ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
5,503
Location
The DarkSide (London)
Website
Visit site
Vimacs posted on Jul 27 2005 at 12:08 AM said:
no, they just did loose couse the products where shitt, if they would have been good it would have been succeses.
The Dreamcast was good..... :p

Trooper
 
Last edited by a moderator:

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
trooper posted on Jul 27 2005 at 01:59 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Jul 27 2005 at 12:08 AM said:
no, they just did loose couse the products where shitt, if they would have been good it would have been succeses.
The Dreamcast was good..... :p

Trooper
dreamcast was an amazing system and still cuts it graphically today (7 years after launch)

Saturn was a fantastic system and when pushed hard by the right people could out perform a psx.

These were fantastic systems, yet they largley failed. Good hardware is not enough to sell systems alone. And you can hardly hold the nokia ngage qd at the same level as these two. and if these systems had trouble getting third party support, then anyone with ideas that the new gp32 will get it are going to be disappointed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jarska333

What do you want?
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
3,606
Location
Sovjet Finland
Website
Visit site
Vimacs posted on Jul 27 2005 at 01:08 AM said:
no, they just did loose couse the products where shitt, if they would have been good it would have been succeses.
Good=/=Succesfull. Just think of the Spice Girls. :ph34r:

Or, I understand that a band/group called Scooter is succesfull in Germany? They're bloody awfull. :ph34r:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

junker

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,290
DaveC posted on Jul 26 2005 at 11:42 PM said:
junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:22 PM said:
junker posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:11 AM said:
don't forget commercial games! better in widescreen.

How are they better in widescreen? What makes them better? You can see more things on the screen at once... whoopty-doo! it makes no difference. it doesn't add to the game experience, it doesn't make anything actually look better or sound better. It doesn't make the game more fun to play... it does NOTHING. "widescreen is better" is just some BS put into your head by the companies that make those damn widescreen TVs. Even if widescreen actually made commercial games better somehow, almost all of us want this thing for emulation anyway. And we all know that widescreen format is HORRIBLE for emulation becuase every system that will be emulated is in a different ratio... so we'll either have about 1/3 of the screen not used(and a smaller picture), or it'll have to be stretched out, causing the picture to look like complete shit.
huh?
having a wider screen is obviously better than regular 4:3 since you put more of the screen in front of your eyes! especially when sitting back. that reason alone is why widescreen is usually better, not because you can see more on screen(resolution for that).
only better for movies? yeaha right!
and those vertical arcade shooters, a good portion of them had the screen tilted 90degrees so BOOYAH.
and there are cases where having more on screen wouldn't be better, but i can't think of any..

and maaan, why the fuck are you bringing up emulation? i know widescreen is shit for emulation! read my other posts, i have a psp myself and have always disliked/complained about the stretching due to its rez and 16:9 screen.
i was referring to commercial games.
Again that is wrong. Screen *area* (L x h) is what "puts more in front of your eyes" not aspect, the screen could be a circle, if it has more area you see more no matter what the shape. A widescreen could be considered a 4:3 with the top and bottom cut off. Again widescreen was invented in the movies to differentiate from TV then TVs followed to imitate the movies. So it is all about movies.

Why the talk about emulation? Cause that is what this system will be used for. If you think that it will be some big commercial success against Sony and Nintendo than you are just stupid ;)

aaahhh, yeah you're right about the screen area. still, i think most new style games will look better and benefit from having a wider display.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drag

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
371
Age
32
Location
USA
Website
drag.wootest.net
I, for one, am looking into getting whichever system supports homebrew.

I don't care if the screen's wide, I don't care if the screen's small, I don't care whether it has a d-pad or a d-stick, all I really care about is homebrew. One of the reasons I like GP32 so much is because of how simple it is to make a homebrew program: make a C/C++ program, compile it using an ARM compiler, put it on your smart media card, and it works. No hastle with burning roms, burning CDs, burning your fingers. Also, the fact that the video is a framebuffer, and the audio is pcm is pretty cool too. :)

Now, if the GPx2 (the gaming system) is easy to make homebrew for, like just making a C/C++ program, and then putting it on a SD card (I hope! Those things are huuuuge!), then I'm all over it! :)
 

Rob

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
134
Age
31
Website
Visit site
So we have the GPX2 specs and most of the XGP specifications and I think that they really shouldn't split up. The GPX2 is advertised as a media player which can by the way play games and emus. It doesn't have so exciting specs. The XGP has exciting specifications but not an open source Gamepark handheld is like GP32 without batteries or SMC so these two companies GPH and GP really have to clear their differences or they can suffer a lot from their problems. There are many nice things about the two consoles like the GPX2 great design and XGP's probably nice 3rd party support but Gamepark mustn't spent their moneys on expensive commercial titles or they will go the same way as Tapwave Zodiac and probably soon Gizmondo (since no one wants this handheld the most logical thing is to discount it and stop embarassing themselves just like Tapwave did)
 
Top