There Will Be 2 Consoles Xgp And Gpx2


Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
2,577
Age
33
Location
fan
Website
Visit site
I'd also like to see the power switch removed and replaced with a button - you could then press the button once whilst in a emu to go into standby mode, which would kill the LCD and stop the processor, but keep the ram powered. Pressing it again would resume. Holding the button down for say 2 seconds would power down or power up the console.
I'd forget and come back to my GP32, and the batteries would have run down.
 

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
5,503
Location
The DarkSide (London)
Website
Visit site
@ Squidge

And don`t forget the HOLD button/switch/lock, So the unit doesn`t power on accidently whilst in it`s case/bag. Which i have had happen to me on quite a few occations with the current GP, Only to find the batteries flat when i get round to using it. Damn <_< .

Trooper
 

Yuglooc

Go Go Igo!
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
548
Website
Visit site
Huxley posted on Jul 22 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
Nooooooooooooo! Keep the stick. Anyone who's played King of Fighters on a Playstation pad will know how much their thumbs hurt after about 10 mins :)
True, but then again, I know how irritating a D-stick gets in about everything but fighting games.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jarska333

What do you want?
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
3,606
Location
Sovjet Finland
Website
Visit site
I actually like that non-GP32-lookalike GPX/XGP. Just tone down the backlight... :p

And please, don't put the power led right next to the screen, those are annoying.
 

Huxley

Gamera, King of Monsters
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
1,602
Age
39
Location
Manchester England
Website
www.animeboredom.co.uk
Yuglooc posted on Jul 22 2005 at 09:56 PM said:
Huxley posted on Jul 22 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
Nooooooooooooo! Keep the stick. Anyone who's played King of Fighters on a Playstation pad will know how much their thumbs hurt after about 10 mins :)
True, but then again, I know how irritating a D-stick gets in about everything but fighting games.
I may be in the minority here, but I've never had a problem with the Gp32's stick for games like Zelda. I honestly think a good stick is more versatile and better for general use than any d-pad. There are decent d-pads, though too often they either hurt your thumbs (GBA, Playstation pads) or are really far too loose (X-box, Master System). I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise, but I'm really happy with my GP32 stick as it is...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Squidge posted on Jul 22 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
I'd go with DaveC's design if he changed the D-stick for a D-pad, and placed the 'Select' button underneath the 'Start' button, rather than next to it (It would then look more like the old arcade machine when on it's side and be easier to handle). We could also use a PSP like speaker design to save space rather than the huge amount of space the current GP32 speakers take up.

I'd also like to see the power switch removed and replaced with a button - you could then press the button once whilst in a emu to go into standby mode, which would kill the LCD and stop the processor, but keep the ram powered. Pressing it again would resume. Holding the button down for say 2 seconds would power down or power up the console.

I really am not that freaked out about the pad/joystick debate, doesn't matter to me I like both. But since you mention it I will say that a pad does make more sense from a production point of view and they are more robust. Pads are cheaper to make as you don't have those microswitches and pivoting parts. A d-pad is also less likely to break as you can't torque them as much. So I am leaning pad too but whatever.

As far as the start/select arrangement, it was done to make room for the speaker. I wouldn't want to make the buttons small because then they would make lousy fire buttons in vertical mode. I wouldn't want to make the speakers too small either as they would be tinny. If all of that could be fit in without compromise then that would be ok.

As far as that PSP style switch, BAH as that would always drain the batteries. They would be dead every time you would go to use it. Even the 2 second "power down" would still have a small amount of juice going through as it is a software switch rather than a completely open circuit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Jarska333 posted on Jul 22 2005 at 10:17 PM said:
I actually like that non-GP32-lookalike GPX/XGP. Just tone down the backlight... :p

And please, don't put the power led right next to the screen, those are annoying.

Nah it sucks. There are no buttons for playing vertical, and it has alot of buttons but in the wrong places. And worst of all it looks too much like a Zodiac :ph34r:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Squidge

Certified Guru
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
8,495
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
As far as that PSP style switch, BAH as that would always drain the batteries. They would be dead every time you would go to use it. Even the 2 second "power down" would still have a small amount of juice going through as it is a software switch rather than a completely open circuit.
NDS has software power down, and it's been sitting in my drawer for about 2 months unused. Just switched it on and it still says the batteries full, so BAH to you too :)

and if you do leave your gp32 in a drawer for several months at a time, then get outta here ;)

Actually, lets see how much it would take to do a software switch, and use the processor to do the software switch (so no extra electronics):

Code:
ARM9 @ 400Mhz in Standby mode (so, possible to react to 'soft power' button)

Symbol  Parameter                                Test Conditions  Value   Unit
ISTBY    Standby Power Consumption               TA = 27 °C       1         μA
Hmmm... 1 microamp. That would mean a typical 2000mah battery pack would last for 833 days. The battery would discharge itself well before that time (even if it was just sitting on a shelf), so I don't think we need to worry...
 

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
1,838
Age
32
Location
Pittsburg, KS
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
LHC posted on Jul 22 2005 at 06:54 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Jul 21 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
Reread the entire thread. Every single post. You will discover you are wrong, and are just confusing people.

And like I mentioned, they may be advertising it (GPx2) as a PMP, but it will most certainly end up being like a beefed up GP32 (right down to aspect ratio). The XGP will almost certainly be a PSP clone, which I don't particularly find useful.

EDIT: Besides, games are basically interactive media. Who says a PMP wouldn't play games? XGP is the widescreen one. GPx2 is described as a PMP. Craig is assuring us we'll be happy with the GPx2, and I have corresponded with Jr2Swiss and he says we'll definately not be dissappointed with the GPx2 (yes, he actually called it that). So yes, if you read all nine pages, unless your are just stubborn, you can see that the GPx2 "PMP" is not just a PMP and is actually what most of us would rather have.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Ok, I agree with you that GPx2 is not a PMP -- just look in my post "the GPx2 'PMP' is not just a PMP". Anyways, the only reason I mentioned it as being advertised as PMP is because if that translated post from GPzigi. I just took all the news and combined it along the shortest path possible, making no assumptions and no exclusions. I'm just saying most other conclusions would definately require one or more assumptions or exclusions. Therefore, I would be wrong only if the original sources are wrong, although that's still highly likely at this point.

Attention all who disagree: You're probably right. But I'm to stubborn to accept it until you can prove me wrong.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TandeM

Mega Pandora Mania?
Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
559
Age
32
Website
Visit site
jmetal88 posted on Jul 23 2005 at 02:31 AM said:
LHC posted on Jul 22 2005 at 06:54 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Jul 21 2005 at 01:34 AM said:
Reread the entire thread.  Every single post.  You will discover you are wrong, and are just confusing people.

And like I mentioned, they may be advertising it (GPx2) as a PMP, but it will most certainly end up being like a beefed up GP32 (right down to aspect ratio).  The XGP will almost certainly be a PSP clone, which I don't particularly find useful.

EDIT: Besides, games are basically interactive media.  Who says a PMP wouldn't play games?  XGP is the widescreen one.  GPx2 is described as a PMP.  Craig is assuring us we'll be happy with the GPx2, and I have corresponded with Jr2Swiss and he says we'll definately not be dissappointed with the GPx2 (yes, he actually called it that).  So yes, if you read all nine pages, unless your are just stubborn, you can see that the GPx2 "PMP" is not just a PMP and is actually what most of us would rather have.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Ok, I agree with you that GPx2 is not a PMP -- just look in my post "the GPx2 'PMP' is not just a PMP". Anyways, the only reason I mentioned it as being advertised as PMP is because if that translated post from GPzigi. I just took all the news and combined it along the shortest path possible, making no assumptions and no exclusions. I'm just saying most other conclusions would definately require one or more assumptions or exclusions. Therefore, I would be wrong only if the original sources are wrong, although that's still highly likely at this point.

Attention all who disagree: You're probably right. But I'm to stubborn to accept it until you can prove me wrong.
*poke poke*

http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/zboard.php?id...onboard&no=1425

But if Craig and others in the know are so confident about the GPX2, it'll probably still pack the specs for top-notch emulation/homebrew development.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FabreNZ

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
132
Squidge posted on Jul 23 2005 at 12:32 PM said:
NDS has software power down, and it's been sitting in my drawer for about 2 months unused. Just switched it on and it still says the batteries full, so BAH to you too :)
Are you absolutely sure that it is only a software power down? Because the DS homebrew community has tested the DS, and it lasts for 2 weeks in sleep mode. 2 months does not sound possible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Squidge posted on Jul 22 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
As far as that PSP style switch at BAH as that would always drain the batteries. They would be dead every time you would go to use it. Even the 2 second "power down" would still have a small amount of juice going through as it is a software switch rather than a completely open circuit.
NDS has software power down, and it's been sitting in my drawer for about 2 months unused. Just switched it on and it still says the batteries full, so BAH to you too :)

and if you do leave your gp32 in a drawer for several months at a time, then get outta here ;)

Actually, lets see how much it would take to do a software switch, and use the processor to do the software switch (so no extra electronics):

Code:
ARM9 @ 400Mhz in Standby mode (so, possible to react to 'soft power' button)

Symbol  Parameter                                Test Conditions  Value   Unit
ISTBY    Standby Power Consumption               TA = 27 °C       1         μA
Hmmm... 1 microamp. That would mean a typical 2000mah battery pack would last for 833 days. The battery would discharge itself well before that time (even if it was just sitting on a shelf), so I don't think we need to worry...

1 microamp? Well in that case, OK...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Squidge

Certified Guru
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
8,495
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
FabreNZ posted on Jul 23 2005 at 02:54 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 23 2005 at 12:32 PM said:
NDS has software power down, and it's been sitting in my drawer for about 2 months unused. Just switched it on and it still says the batteries full, so BAH to you too :)
Are you absolutely sure that it is only a software power down? Because the DS homebrew community has tested the DS, and it lasts for 2 weeks in sleep mode. 2 months does not sound possible.
I was talking about "standby mode", not "sleep mode".

In standby mode, only the processor is powered. When you press the power button, it's kept in reset mode until everything is ready.
In sleep mode, the processor is only in power-save mode (so needs to keep all it's registers intact), and the RAM/gfx/etc is kept powered up, so obviously uses a lot more power.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tidus

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2003
Messages
551
DanGP posted on Jul 22 2005 at 05:30 PM said:
I think he means a d-stick. I also think the res isn't right it should be 320x240 or 640x480.

I think that an essential component for advanced & unseen perfect emulation would be the native support of 640x480 res.

I wonder if it's posible to got a screen which support fully 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 ?? ^^

oh and do you think the next gen GP32 will be able to run smoothly recent Mame release ? ?
then a vertical position would be extremly important for great shooters ^^
 
Last edited by a moderator:

carlgeorge

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
689
Age
41
Location
Tasmania
Website
Visit site
I wonder if it's posible to got a screen which support fully 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 ?? ^^
Is this a joke?

Anyway, I like DaveC's idea of keeping the standard casing and just adding more buttons. And black, yes please.

I don't know which console is which, but I will buy the one that is a beefed-up GP32, and unless the other one offers something that I can't see at the moment I will not get that.

What sort of power is offered by the proposed processor? i.e., 2x as powerful?
 

Tidus

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2003
Messages
551
carlgeorge posted on Jul 23 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
I wonder if it's posible to got a screen which support fully 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 ?? ^^
Is this a joke?


no
it's a real question...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Julius posted on Jul 23 2005 at 04:38 PM said:
640x480 is basicly 320x240 time 4 so yes a 320x240 game would look great on a 640x480 screen, since it is at a perfect ratio (just displying 4 pixels instead of 1)
Yeah but I think we are dreaming there. That would be alot more expensive and this thing is supposed to be cheaper than the current one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top