There Will Be 2 Consoles Xgp And Gpx2

Tidus, I apologise for that, I thought that was known to everyone who has anything to do with computers/consoles.

On a 640x480 screen each pixel displayed at 320x240 would appear as 4 pixels in a cluster (2 wide x 2 high)

As for the discussion about the joypad/stick -- I actually really like the current mini joystick thingie. The thing I don't like about + shaped joypads is that you are constantly rubbing your finger across the surface to get the different directions, where as with our mini joystick thingie your thumb doesn't move with respect to the centre of the stick (does that make any sence to anyone but me?)

it makes perfect sense to me... I understand it completely, but I still like D-pads better. I don't know why some other people have trouble with certain controllers like getting blisters or having pain in their hands becuase that's never happened to me. The reason I like D-pads better is because it's much easier to screw up the direction you want to move in with a stick. There's extra area in between where the "buttons" for left and up would be on a D-pad with a stick. You have to try to go diagonally with a D-pad, but with a stick you can do it accidentally because of that extra space where there would normally not be an contact area.

*EDIT*

If at all possible, they should make 2 versions of the system. 1 that uses a ministick similar to the one the current system already has, and another one with a D-pad as close to the PSX or NES(doesn't matter which one, they're both good) d-pad as possible without causing a lawsuit. The PSX and NES style d-pads are the best ones I've ever used...

And to whoever mentioned using analog sticks for fighting games, what the heck are you talking about(this is not intended as an insult. I'm being completely serious here and trying to figure out exactly what you mean by that because I've found the complete opposite to be true)? Most fighting games require you to press certain button sequences which require directions like Mortal Kombat. For Sub Zero's ice blast(or whatever you wanna call it), you press down, forward, punch. That's much easier to handle on a d-pad than it is on a stick because on a stick, you're a lot more likely to hit the diagonal and screw it up. Most, if not all fighting games that we'll be able to play on this system will be 2D side scrolling fighters anyway, so how will an analog stick be better for them?

let's hope they don't go down the psx route for the pad config. what is essentialy just 4 buttons do not make a great dpad, especially for 2d gaming. I think a dpad is also the better option, if they get the design right, otherwise the current one will be just fine.

I like the PSX D-pad the best cuz it's like impossible to hit the wrong one or accidentally hit a diagonal... because there's nothing in the middle that you can press, and like all other D-pads, there's no extra space that you can hit where the diagonals are either. But if most other people don't like it, that's fine... just as long as it's close to the NES d-pad, I'll be happy. I'll even be happy with a GP32 stick, but I'd much rather have a D-pad. If they do keep the stick or use a similar stick, it needs to be changed so that there's not an open hole in the case that'll let dust in. Whatever they do though, PLEASE, NO ANALOG STICK! That's the worst thing they could do.

Oh, and just in case anybody's not sure, I'm referring to the system that Craig's supporting, seeing how that seems like the best option as it will be the closest to our current GP32... so that's the only one I really care about unless the other one has some special feature that will blow me away(doubtful though). For all I care, they could make some kind of powerglove ripoff to control the other one, and I wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Magus 86 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 04:33 PM said:
I'm referring to the system that Craig's supporting, seeing how that seems like the best option as it will be the closest to our current GP32... so that's the only one I really care about unless the other one has some special feature that will blow me away(doubtful though).

How about a decent commercial support just like NDS and PSP, an easy to use mp3 and video player probably better than the GP32 one and SD + USB memory slots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that would depend on which 3rd party companies support the system and which games they make for it. The current GP32 already has decent MP3 and video players... and they're both easy to use. And I don't realy care what kind of media storage device is used as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg... Plus that widescreen is dumb and pointless... even worse than the one we have now for emulation. So based on what I know about each system, the one Craig supports is the better option.

Rob posted on Jul 24 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
How about a decent commercial support just like NDS and PSP, an easy to use mp3 and video player probably better than the GP32 one and SD + USB memory slots?

Last time I checked, commercial support and homebrew didn't mix too well...

Rob posted on Jul 24 2005 at 05:23 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 04:33 PM said:
I'm referring to the system that Craig's supporting, seeing how that seems like the best option as it will be the closest to our current GP32... so that's the only one I really care about unless the other one has some special feature that will blow me away(doubtful though).

And last time I checked big game producers only support huge companies like Sony Microsoft and Nintendo. All the others starve for scraps, Gizmondo, Zodiac anyone?

Jarska333 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 10:03 PM said:
So, when was the... um, Craig's machine, for lack of a better term, supposed to be released? August?

The only people who know that are under NDA... So all we can do is keep checking Gamepark's and GBAX's webpages.

x68000 posted on Jul 22 2005 at 08:18 AM said:
Jaw posted on Jul 22 2005 at 07:27 AM said:
saturn was more powerful actually, but a bitch to program for. it was much like the amiga and needed a lot of talent to get the best out of it. most 3rd party developers dropped the system because of this, and that's why it died.

beat me to it!

just look at what the saturn could do when programmed by the right people.

For instance, people said that it couldnt do transparancies, then along came panzer dragoon zwei which blew that myth out the water. It could also run in a very high res for a console at that time a la virtua fighter 2 and it was also the most powerful when it came to 2d processing power with the odd game still trickling out from japan until a couple of years ago, almost 10 years after its original launch.

The japanese loved it as it was still doing 2d games in abundance, with a number of quality 3d games on the side. A tragedy it didnt succeed in the west.

yeah, exactly. powerful system, too bad it was a failure over here.
speaking of the saturn, its d-pad is perfect, much more natural than the ps's 4 way piece of crap(for fighting games AND everything else). i hope this system has something similar...

DaveC posted on Jul 21 2005 at 04:19 AM said:
This is why a 320 x 240 4:3 is actually better for emulation.

screensize.jpg

yeah! screen rez is important. this is the major thing i don't like about playing emulators on my psp..1:1 it looks perfect, but very small. stretched, it looks pretty crappy, but not too bad.

Squidge posted on Jul 24 2005 at 11:37 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 10:03 PM said:
So, when was the... um, Craig's machine, for lack of a better term, supposed to be released? August?

The only people who know that are under NDA... So all we can do is keep checking Gamepark's and GBAX's webpages.

it looks like an announcement could be imminent if you take the 'exciting' new products mentioned on gbax to mean the new gp32.

Also, craig is selling off his remaining gp32's and is relaunching his site to coincide with the new products. And then there is craigs party, maybe that will be used to showcase the new handheld!!

Fingers Crossed

junker posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:13 PM said:
speaking of the saturn, its d-pad is perfect, much more natural than the ps's 4 way piece of crap(for fighting games AND everything else). i hope this system has something similar...

Alright, what the hell? How can the PSX's d-pad possibly give you any trouble? It's the same thing as just about every other d-pad out there, except it's harder to screw up by hitting a diagonal when you didn't want to.

Squidge posted on Jul 24 2005 at 08:26 PM said:

Yeah, you're completely right but the last time I checked XGP isn't supposed to be homebrew.

Rob posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:49 PM said:

Yeah, you're completely right but the last time I checked XGP isn't supposed to be homebrew.

Last time I checked, according to Craig, we won't be dissapointed by the system that he's supporting... and last time I checked, the GP32 was open source... and most of us are expecting another open source machine that's going to be compatible with the current one so hardly any work if any will need to be done to make the programs we use now work on the new system... If it wasn't open source, most of us would be dissapointed... so... one can only conclude that the most likely option is that it will be open source, meaning there will be homebrew content for it, and the company making it won't have a problem with that.

Rob posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:49 AM said:

as far as we know, it is mainly being marketed on its strength, being that it can record korean tv broadcasts or somthing along those lines.

real commercial support is very very unlikely so don't be surprised if it becomes open source not long after its launch.

Magus 86 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 11:49 PM said:

Alright, what the hell? How can the PSX's d-pad possibly give you any trouble? It's the same thing as just about every other d-pad out there, except it's harder to screw up by hitting a diagonal when you didn't want to.

it's not bad, but it certainly isn't the best! it wears your thumb out WAY more than 8way pads, and not just when it comes to fighting games, but also platformers, shmups, and a few others. in the case of rpgs and games that don't need much diagonal movement, it's better.

it's not too bad, but playing games like gunstar heroes on the psp really makes me wish the dpad wasn't designed that way!

junker posted on Jul 25 2005 at 01:09 AM said:
Magus 86 posted on Jul 24 2005 at 11:49 PM said:

it's not bad, but it certainly isn't the best! it wears your thumb out WAY more than 8way pads, and not just when it comes to fighting games, but also platformers, shmups, and a few others. in the case of rpgs and games that don't need much diagonal movement, it's better.

it's not too bad, but playing games like gunstar heroes on the psp really makes me wish the dpad wasn't designed that way!

As I said before, the Sega Nomad's D-pad was the best - similar to the GP32's in feel but more stable, responsive, no problems with diagonals, no clickiness (although this isn't a big issue for me), and dust was very unlikely to get in.

x68000 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:46 AM said:
Rob posted on Jul 25 2005 at 12:49 AM said:

as far as we know, it is mainly being marketed on its strength, being that it can record korean tv broadcasts or somthing along those lines.

real commercial support is very very unlikely so don't be surprised if it becomes open source not long after its launch.

Even still the 16:9 widescreen will make it poor for emulation.

Back