The Wiz Is Back In Production!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Since there was a real high demand for the WIZ, GPH decided to start the production once more.
Costs will be a bit higher, though it is not known yet if the distributors want to charge more or not.

I have no idea when the first batch of WIZ will be delivered.

Say what.

Crazy. Unexpected. Good news for many I'm sure.

I wonder if this means that Caanoo demand was less than GPH thought it'd be..

EvilDragon said:
Since there was a real high demand for the WIZ, GPH decided to start the production once more.
Costs will be a bit higher, though it is not known yet if the distributors want to charge more or not.

Cool, I wonder if it will still have the OLED screen or if they replaced it with an ordinary LCD?

Now If I could get them to extend the d-pad pivot by .5mm, and make the contact "combs" finer so the buttons register better that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

Cool, I wonder if it will still have the OLED screen or if they replaced it with an ordinary LCD?

Now If I could get them to extend the d-pad pivot by .5mm, and make the contact "combs" finer so the buttons register better that would be great.

That is insane? Why would anyone want to buy a system with OLED technology on it? Personally, when I have the cash even if Wiz is in production again I would buy the Caannoo. Caannoo is the best now compared to Wiz. I don't want waste money on a product that have a very high defective rate..

Very cool indeed! With all the talk about the OLED's short lifespan I figured I'd be SOL if mine gave up the ghost. That would be heartbreaking considering it was my first open handheld. Good to know it can be replaced if anything happens. I think it's a good idea to manufacture both handhelds together since they aren't that different internally speaking. Gives people options. Now they should give the Wiz 128mb as well and see which one sells better.

foody said:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

That is insane? Why would anyone want to buy a system with OLED technology on it? Personally, when I have the cash even if Wiz is in production again I would buy the Caannoo. Caannoo is the best now compared to Wiz. I don't want waste money on a product that have a very high defective rate..
Why? Because they look so much better, that's why! Higher contrast ratios and response times, deeper blacks and brighter colors, better viewing angles.... what's not to love? Ok, so they have shorter life spans and cost more, for now. It's quality over quantity but as the technology advances it's not going to be LCD's vs Plasma's so much as OLED's vs Laser's.

DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

What is the point of starting production of a system with a major defect if they don't make any improvements? GPH should make the necessary improvements like replacing those cheap OLED screens which have caused pixel plague problems with a better quality ones even it means making them a bit more expensive, but I don't think they should replace the OLED with LCD because they are one of the greatest features of the Wiz. They should also listen to the community and make other minor improvements like to the dpad as DaveC as mentioned. They did with the "Mark 2" versions of the GP2X.

ha, really, i'm happy that they don't discontinue it as it seemed! great news :)

Can someone tell me more about the high defective rate of the Wiz's OLED screen? Haven't really paid attention to the whole deal & my Wiz is still working

foody said:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

That is a funny statement from a person who hasn't even tried either. The OLED livespan i believe is serveral years at 8 hours-per-day use. The plague is caused by some defective screens, not a fault of the OLED technology itself. Screens that have cracked. I, for one am very sad they have returned to LCD, but if it keeps GPH alive, then so be it.

/Uni

I'm glad I ordered the Pandora.
GPH makes a new console just as often as I change my socks lol. Who can afford that. Reading this makes it seem that GPH is realizing they are rushing them too fast. Besides, the Pandora will be up to date and modern for quite some time.

Despellanion said:
I'm glad I ordered the Pandora.
GPH makes a new console just as often as I change my socks lol. Who can afford that. Reading this makes it seem that GPH is realizing they are rushing them too fast. Besides, the Pandora will be up to date and modern for quite some time.

I don't know, at the rate pandora's are rolling out of the factory you might have an antique by the time you get one :p
Once they manage to increase production volume i'll get one myself though

u9i said:
foody said:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

That is a funny statement from a person who hasn't even tried either. The OLED livespan i believe is serveral years at 8 hours-per-day use. The plague is caused by some defective screens, not a fault of the OLED technology itself. Screens that have cracked. I, for one am very sad they have returned to LCD, but if it keeps GPH alive, then so be it.

/Uni

I am forced to respond to your horrible accusation only because I don't want to leave your statement as truthful and have people getting the idea that I have never tried OLED and LCD technology before or that I have never owned a GP2X series period.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself MR. Big Mouth. Yeah, I think this title fits you very well. I was a proud owner of GP2X-F100 and GP2X-F200, then I migrated like flock of ducks to GP2X Wiz. I sold one of my previous valued items on eBay just to BUY the GP2X-Wiz just you know...and what I sold was very a rare item that for sure would have went even higher if I waited little bit longer. I am also owner of PC and migrated like fluck of birds from CRT monitor to LCD monitor. I have complete experience in this technology very well. Returning back to my topic about not having known or touched OLED technology before and that I am so morrun who opens his "fat big mouth", which I am sure is more better suited title for you. I have GP2X Wiz, and I know the OLED screen looks like, the screen is BEAUTIFUL way beautiful than my LCD screen and I evern suggested on one of my posts wanting a PC monitor with OLED screen on it, people responded that they prefer to have durability and not wanting their PC monitor dying in one year. I agreed with them by the way, even though I refused to boost and inflate their ego by saying they are right.

My GP2X Wiz screen have died on me no less than four month of purchase and it started having this endless mizzles of black dots on my screen and worseness by each day. So while yes the screen is beautiful I would refuse to own one because of it's lacking durability. Maybe one day they would make it last more than a year or monthes maybe with advanced technology they would have it last ten years as maximum durbaility, but until they achieve this goal I am refusing to spend another 170 or 190 dollars on a GP2X where the risk of death of screen is sooo high even if by accident someone drops it. And before you go to start raising your finger at me like some old grandma teaching her baby grandchild about how not drop things, you know as well as everyone the chance of not dropping your gp2x on the floor is impossible. One day somewhere...UNAVOIDINGLY you are going to drop it, again and again and again and consoles should be made to handle this sort of abuse not crack like a little egg shell the first time it falls and hits the ground.

So for your horrible responce just because I somehow did not agree with you in anyway or possible...HAVE THIS...* grabs a pie and throws it at your face *, hmmmm...I ASK YOU!! * slaps the door shut and leaves the room *

foody said:
So for your horrible responce just because I somehow did not agree with you in anyway or possible...HAVE THIS...* grabs a pie and throws it at your face *, hmmmm...I ASK YOU!! * slaps the door shut and leaves the room *
How do you expect anyone to take you seriously after that?

foody said:
My GP2X Wiz screen have died on me no less than four month of purchase and
... you contacted the A/S center or your trustworthy dealer to claim the warranty?

Edit: Just to add some on-topic, I find it great that the WIZ not totally abandoned by GPH. People have a choice, now.

kasi said:
foody said:
... you contacted the A/S center or your trustworthy dealer to claim the warranty?

Edit: Just to add some on-topic, I find it great that the WIZ not totally abandoned by GPH. People have a choice, now.

You mean to tell me I have to keep going to a trust worthy dealer to keep replacing it? I don't think this is practical and any way or form.

foody said:
kasi said:
foody said:

You mean to tell me I have to keep going to a trust worthy dealer to keep replacing it? I don't think this is practical and any way or form.

My Wiz is still fine & older then 4 months, maybe you just had a bad one?

Back