The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

WarmFluffyUK said:
Presently it takes about 20 seconds for the Wiz to boot, and this is mainly to do with initialization of the flash engine for the flash animated boot intro.

Man, stuff like this really baffles me... Why would GPH ever think that this would be a good idea? Long boot time was one of the bigger complaints about the GP2X, you'd think they'd be trying to fix that rather than wasting time on a useless intro animation.

Oh well, seems like something that would be very easy to bypass by fiddling with the boot scripts at least.

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Ze_ro said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Presently it takes about 20 seconds for the Wiz to boot, and this is mainly to do with initialization of the flash engine for the flash animated boot intro.

Man, stuff like this really baffles me... Why would GPH ever think that this would be a good idea? Long boot time was one of the bigger complaints about the GP2X, you'd think they'd be trying to fix that rather than wasting time on a useless intro animation.

Oh well, seems like something that would be very easy to bypass by fiddling with the boot scripts at least.

--Zero
Thanks gph! I enjoyed my gp32, my gp2x and am looking very forward to having a wiz. I will definitly buy one now. Right on guys!!

nubie said:
Personally I think this will greatly increase the Pandora userbase and provide plenty of used Wiz units on ebay.
Increase the Pandora user base, you say? Seeing as there'll only be 3000 of the buggers floating around until some time next year I fail to see how...

Good on them for not doing the 2 D-Pads. No offense, but that was a really odd move. I will not be waiting for these to come out instead of trying to pick up a GP2X. The smaller form factor is more than enough for me, not to mention the great specs. I think I may even have to pre order one.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I have from a good source information about boot times:

Presently it takes about 20 seconds for the Wiz to boot, and this is mainly to do with initialization of the flash engine for the flash animated boot intro. This boot time will be reduced to about 15 seconds when the final release firmware is completed, which is half the boot time of my GP2X F-100 which boots in 29 seconds. I can definitely live with that!!!

One of the post release firmware updates will allow you to turn off or possibly change the boot animation allowing you to reduce that time even further.

I did get the feeling that they are half and half regretting including flash on the Wiz, personally I think it was a smart move and one that gives it a lot of potential.
Ugh, sinking feeling. So they choose to make a crappy flash animation the first thing? It will be fun the first 2 times maybe? Or you may hate it from the first time.

Don't make the flash animation, try for as close to instant-on as you can get.

Damn, I still want one now :(, hmm, under $200 with shipping? Bah, it is a good thing I am so broke, otherwise I would be pre-ordering one :).

Good news. Can't it get a bigger screen too ? 2.8' seems little to me... and there is space left around the screen so they could put a 3' or maybe 3.2'.

Dom said:
Good news. Can't it get a bigger screen too ? 2.8' seems little to me... and there is space left around the screen so they could put a 3' or maybe 3.2'.
Yeah that part kind of sucks. After getting used to the 3.5" GP2X screen it will be hard to downgrade to a tiny 2.8" . I guess we had to give up something to get the better speed (it would be too much to ask to have both I guess) :(

DaveC said:
Dom said:
Yeah that part kind of sucks. After getting used to the 3.5" GP2X screen it will be hard to downgrade to a tiny 2.8" . I guess we had to give up something to get the better speed (it would be too much to ask to have both I guess) :(

There is NO ROOM for a bigger screen. What do you not get about that?

Personally, I don't anticipate having a problem with boot time on the Wiz simply because of the "hold" feature. I figure I will start it up in the morning when I first need to get my fix, and then put it in "hold" instead of turning it off so that it will be equivalent to an "instant on". Hopefully, the battery life will support my plan :)

Exophase said:
There's a little room.
There isn't actually that much. I've had mine open and it is fairly full in there as it is.

Yea that bites about the screen that makes this thing. only .3 bigger than my cowon d2, and that thing is 2.5 inch...heck my p2 was 3.0....could have at least tried 3.0 inch screen. oh well can't have everything...But still the OLED screen is major plus not many things have this right now, and things that do have OLED are expensive...

Is there a thread on the flash support for the wiz???

DaveC said:
Dom said:

WHAT! you are still getting one DaveC!? After so many times taking the piss out of the Gizmondo's 2.8" screen saying you would never go back to that size, i would dig up your quotes but i cant be assed....but at least admit you are gonna contradict your strong views on screen sizes and still buy one!?

Orkie said:
He won't buy one. DaveC is just a whingebag, he lives to complain.
:lol: :lol:

Sometimes he makes a lot of sense.

But if we want to act like kids and squint at a 2.8" screen it isn't any skin off his nose :) (aka, maybe he should lay off, GPH clearly isn't interested in "his" market segment)

I wouldn't mind, it looks like a muscled up GBA Micro :) .

Back