The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Anyone who thinks this was a deliberate stunt is giving GPH way too much credit. It's almost definitely exactly what it is - a bad design choice that resulted in a bunch of people beating them over the head to fix it.

Exophase said:
Anyone who thinks this was a deliberate stunt is giving GPH way too much credit. It's almost definitely exactly what it is - a bad design choice that resulted in a bunch of people beating them over the head to fix it.
Or maybe they are really that smart :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
ashdjones said:
Call me cynical, but this while thing seems like a publicity/marketing stunt.

I don't know, i've never owned a GP/GPH machine before so I've not had to deal with the company - it just reminds me of media hype like eg. the import restrictions reported about the PS2 to Iraq because Saddam could use them to launch missles, or the numurous times Nintendo has withheld stock to drive up demand (they have addmitted to this).
Some people are never satisfied... :rolleyes:

Thanks GPH (and ED): I'll buy a Wiz for sure (and a Pandora too...)

Thanks for listening GPH! and thank you for meeting the "homebrew" developers expectations.

If i can ask for something, PLEASE add USB HOST like on the F-100!
It's very anoying to debug your homebrew software on the F-200 because that.
So don't miss to add usb networking, not only for storage, because it's an important feature for any developer and it will increase the number of homebrew software for the Wiz (starting for me, i have a 3d engine and i'm thinking about a 3d game, but i'm not sure i'll start something on a platform i can debug on using only a serial cable via ext...)
I'm a long time customer with three gp2x (f100 fist edition, f-100 mk2 and f-200) and i'll preorder a Wiz ASAP :)

Now we need only a cool homebrew videogame contest after the console launch to make the guys around pump some new homebrews :)

@nubie i really don't know what are you talking about, there is a mini usb like in the gp2x and the battery can charge using usb too, also the ext can easily serve as usb too, what's the problem? no usb host for debug like i said?

Eclipse said:
Thanks for listening GPH! and thank you for meeting the "homebrew" developers expectations.

If i can ask for something, PLEASE add USB HOST like on the F-100!
It's very hard to debug your homebrew software on the F-200 because that.
So don't miss to add usb networking, not only for storage, because it's an important feature for any developers and it will increase the number of homebrew software for the Wiz.
I'm a long time customer with three gp2x (f100 fist edition, f-100 mk2 and f-200) and i'll preorder a Wiz ASAP :)

Now we need only a cool homebrew videogame contest after the console launch to make the guys around pump some new homebrews :)

@nubie i really don't know what are you talking about, there is a mini usb like in the gp2x and the battery can charge using usb too, also the ext can easily serve as usb too, what's the problem? no usb host for debug like i said?

No, you are probably thinking of the netchip, that is completely different from USB host. I doubt they will add a netchip because of cost and space issues.

I am pretty sure there is no mini usb, the EXT seems to be the ONLY connection on this device, unless I read the pictures wrong.

Don't let me stop anyone from getting one, but don't come here complaining about it later when you understand what I have been saying all along.

Like I said, I could live with it if it cost $100-$120, in the $130-$150 range I would think about it a bit. As it stands it is a bit too expensive. I will probably get one on ebay when they drop to a reasonable price. I will know what I am getting and I will be fine with it.

EDIT: According to Orkie I was way off base and the "net" functionality is software based. Apparently it is possible to have the USB networking.

I don't fully understand why it isn't in the F-200, but apparently the Wiz will have the proper hardware on the "Pollux" chip, whereas the MMSP2 in the GP2X didn't have it inbuilt.

weirdocollector said:
Don't get me wrong, i've definately become interested in the Wiz (I collect these things) and like everyone else in this thread i'm much more interested now they've fixing the obvious flaws.

The almost cult-like praise is very strange though, sort of like Stockholm syndrome!

ashdjones said:
weirdocollector said:
Don't get me wrong, i've definately become interested in the Wiz (I collect these things) and like everyone else in this thread i'm much more interested now they've fixing the obvious flaws.

The almost cult-like praise is very strange though, sort of like Stockholm syndrome!

:lol: yeah, but when it takes $XXX and lots of hard work to get a homebrew community on the big boys (DS and PSP), and this is a "put in SD and turn on" solution with much more processing power and code available you can get a bit overjoyed.

I really want a wiz, but I still think that they are designing it wrong. That is my own opinion based on experience with devices that don't offer features I need. Thus the wiz isn't worth near $200 for me.

ashdjones said:
weirdocollector said:

You're forgetting this is a geek/nerd forum (no offense of course I'm a proud geek/nerd) :D

Fanaticism is normal around here B)

Exophase said:

i think nobody is interested in the reasons :rolleyes: the cool thing is that it's going to be fixed.

For all the guys criticizing even now, just put a pandora up your a.. really, because there's no bad thing anyone can say about GPH and the Wiz now without being a hater\fanboy.

They did the right thing, surely even loosing money and time fixing a possible mistake, so they already payed the price of it

I think this is great news, like everyone else, and I will be buying one if it happens. I am surprised that GPH are happy to make such a significant design change so close to launch and estimate it will only add 30 days to the launch timetable, and so I am half inclined to think the changes may not happen. I hope I am proved wrong though.

nubie said:
No, you are probably thinking of the netchip, that is completely different from USB host. I doubt they will add a netchip because of cost and space issues.

I am pretty sure there is no mini usb, the EXT seems to be the ONLY connection on this device, unless I read the pictures wrong.
Are you saying that it's not possible to use the Wiz as usb storage connecting it on the pc? That's awful... i have an SD reader but was something nice to have when you where using another pc... i was complaining about usb networking but if there's no usb host at all

PLEASE ADD USB HOST AND USB NETWORKING LIKE ON THE F-100

:ph34r:

weirdocollector said:
You're forgetting this is a geek/nerd forum (no offense of course I'm a proud geek/nerd) :D

Fanaticism is normal around here B)
Guess i'm a level-headed geek then. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I veer on the obsessional side of things but most of the time i'm 'merely' enthusiastic. The Pandora is attractive as the mini-computer-in-your-pocket-you-always-dreamed-about-since-you-were-a-small-boy but the Wiz is also attractive in a PSP-type-machine-that-can-run-excellent-hombrew-without-messing-around kind of way.

Choosing a handheld is like choosing what kind of dog you want as a pet - effectively all the same, but each breed has it's own characteristics.

Great news!
Thanks to everyone involved, I really didn't expect this level of fix.

ps. Please make the buttons out of hard plastic, not rubber.

Impressive. The dual d-pad was a non-starter before. I'll consider purchasing a Wiz now... 30 day delay is completely reasonable.

Wifi still pushes Pandora over the top for me, but I might get both.

Thanks to GPH for listening! they are going to fix the most problematic points of the Wiz, this is the good way. I apreciate this and I´ll buy Wiz without any doubt.

I will be mostly buying a Pandora for myself, and I might buy my fiancé the Wiz (and I will steal it from her every now and then :p )

Eclipse said:
nubie said:

Are you saying that it's not possible to use the Wiz as usb storage connecting it on the pc? That's awful... i have an SD reader but was something nice to have when you where using another pc... i was complaining about usb networking but if there's no usb host at all

PLEASE ADD USB HOST AND USB NETWORKING LIKE ON THE F-100

:ph34r:

OK, USB host is like when you plug a gamepad into something and it controls stuff. The GP2X is "host" of a dumber device. (generally)

When you connect the GP2X to your PC the PC is the "host", no matter if the mode of the "device"(gp2x) is networking or Storage.

As far as I know the "networking" part of the GP2X was on the FTDI PLX NetChip, the f200 and Wiz don't have it because it uses too much space, costs too much money, and uses electricity (although if the wiz is powered over USB this might be ok).

I just can't understand the way GPH thinks, it is very confusing to me the way they design their console. They must have been thinking of every way to make it smaller and not at all about improving the capabilities for the GP32x scene. Which is perfectly fine, I guess. The Pandora team seems to think more like I do and their ideas make a lot more sense to me.

It must just be culture shock.

EDIT: I got it wrong, PLX makes the netchip apparently, there is a link to them and the gp2x wiki in a post below.

Edit: I get it wrong again, according to Orkie it is software, but it runs on hardware the F100 and Wiz have, but the F200 doesn't have.

Excellent change to buttons. Thanks Ed and GPH. Just hope that the left d-pad is a proper one and high quality as well as the buttons. Screen size is important especially after having a GP2X. I just feel 2.8" is too small. Can you persuade them to make the screen 3.5" like GP2X? or maybe that's pushing it.

or how about two versions? a 3.5" screen version and a 2.8" version?

Back