The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may know GPH and me are currently at the IFA exhibition in Berlin.
We had quite some conversations during the last days - and I'm really happy to announce the following:

The 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one.

So the only flaws I could see with this system will be fixed!
On the downside it means that the release of the Wiz will be delayed for 30 days (so it will be shipped in November), but I think that's best.

If you like that decision, you can use this thread to thank GPH, as they will be reading it!

Thank you GPH for listening to the community's feedback and taking the time to improve the Wiz! :)

Perhaps the 30 additional days will be useful for testing the firmware some more, too :)

The aesthetic appeal of the dual d-pads was cool, but practically speaking, this change will be for the best.

Thank you GPH! :)

I'm also quite impressed that the changes will only add an extra month to the release date.

Certainly is good news, thanks for listening GPH. I don't think anyone will mind the little extra wait to have a better finished product.

EvilDragon said:
The 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one.
Yay!!!!

I still don't have enough cash for one though :( , however I will be accepting donations so feel free to pm me with your bank account details. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! This is good news, I think I will now buy a wiz aswell. Will go nicely with my gp2x collection :D

Thanks GPH! The world of handheld gaming would be boring without you guys ^^.

EvilDragon said:
So the only flaws I could see with this system will be fixed!
There is still one possible flaw remaining:

Will the Wiz support usbnet? Without it developing would be a nightmare :(

thankyou GPH! A good decision :)

As with "BlueAchenar", I wasn't going to buy it, but I most certinately will now!

Well, I am at once ready to congratulate them, and at the same time wondering if this was all a ploy to distract our attention from the fact that USB still isn't shipping with the device.

Would code and hardware be so hard to ship with it? Hardware can even be a USB on the TV dongle, it would cost pennies per cable. As long as it is available at launch and the whole cable costs $15-$20.

Second, what is the real run-time of this machine? I know on the GP2X we had a (barely used, no VGA/Component) Conexant TV encoder
and a FTDI Netchip wasting power, but if this new machine has li-ion why not USB as well?

I know some might just be planning to pocket the Wiz, but others want real USB support. Some might want useful TV output because the screen is a bit small for extended gaming (or 2 player gaming).

So kudos on not be totally daft, but minimal points on delivering what the community wants (USB, VGA, YPrPb)

This is really great news..

Had shown the "original" Wiz to the wife, but she didn't like the d-pad buttons, so we had actually decided not to get the Wiz, but now I think it's a lot more appealing, she'll be so happy when she hears this, cause otherwise she really digs the small size and overall design of the Wiz.

I think the community can stand the 30 day wait. Thanks for listening GPH.

Curse you GPH, for actually making the decision on whether or not to a buy a Wiz a difficult one. I was comfortable with passing on the Wiz with the dual dpads. Now I don't know what to do!

nubie said:
Well, I am at once ready to congratulate them, and at the same time wondering if this was all a ploy to distract our attention from the fact that USB still isn't shipping with the device.

Would code and hardware be so hard to ship with it? Hardware can even be a USB on the TV dongle, it would cost pennies per cable. As long as it is available at launch and the whole cable costs $15-$20.
Um, where did you get the idea that a USB cord WOULD NOT be shipping with the Wiz? In the picture on the GP32X front page where it shows the Wiz packaging, it clearly shows a USB cord included with unit, CD, headphones, manual, etc..

Back