The Winners Of The Gph Game Comp Are

the not having a second place and not having an open source winner makes it look like gph just trying to save money. a normal contest if there was a tie it would have been two 2nd place winners not no 2nd place winner and two 3rd place winners.

also as long as there is more than one open source game released there really should have been a winner.

however its looks like at the very least we get a great puzzle game (commercial) and a great platform game that might be free.

gph always seem to screw things up in some weird way even if they have good intentions. however things generally do end up good. the gp2x is a great system. this contest encouraged more commercial development for the gp2x as well as maybe a little homebrew. the community contest will bring us a load of great homebrew. gp2x is gaining popularity and I love it and almost everything about despite some mistakes on the part of gph. at least ED and craig are around to help keep gph from doing anything too stupid and the community will make up for anything that gph does even slightly wrong so I'm still feeling good about the contest all things considered. I'm sure there will be many more gp2x game contests to come and many more great games for our beloved little system.

I disagree. I think having two thirds instead of two seconds is a bold statement that they just did not meet the expectations. In Korean society, you only give respect where respect is due.

The same must be said for the open-source category. I would really love to see all the entrants with screenshots. It’s disappointing that the results were announced in a pop-up, that I would normally block. I was waiting on the first of October and then the 1st of November for a pull page result with descriptions and screenshots. This way we would digg it and let people know about all the cool new games. But what’s the point now. I’m hoping they are still preparing content and the will make a big thing about it soon.

I think you are reading way too much into it ... with GPH's situation, and only giving 3 months dev time, GPH would have to take what they can get. They can't afford to have high standards. They can't even afford to be running this contest, they shouldn't have bothered. The software that was entered was probably going to end up being free anyway.

I'm faily sure that people who entered the competition was hoping their development time was paid for by the first prize pool, with additional income from atleast a few hundred purchases.

These are $10 games we are talking about. 3 months is plenty of time.

and epicenter shouldn't bother posting about how he thinks everything gph and gp2x related is stupid and foolish and not worth bothering with even though his main interest is in a device that most likely won't even come out. with all gamepark's different xgp models and with the main xgp being last and its launch depending on how well a kids version comes out I think its not worth it to bother waiting for since it most likely wont ever exist.

the puzzle game is going to be commercial and the platform game looks excellent. I don't see how you can say they shouldn't have even bothered to hold a contest. they could have ran it better and had more clear and less restrictive rules but to say they shouldn't have bothered when at the very least we are getting 2 very high quality games out of this contest is complete bullshit.

you just seem to be getting more and more insane and delusional with your rants against gp2x.

You've said that you hate the gp2x, why are you still here? I don't mean that in a get out of this forum way I just want to know. you are completely disgusted with the gp2x and gph so im just not sure why you choose to continue to post in these forums.

you used to be one of the better posters here but since your game was decided to not be feasible on the gp2x you've had a nasty streak against everything gp2x related in your posts.

and epicenter shouldn't bother posting about how he thinks everything gph and gp2x related is stupid and foolish and not worth bothering with even though his main interest is in a device that most likely won't even come out. with all gamepark's different xgp models and with the main xgp being last and its launch depending on how well a kids version comes out I think its not worth it to bother waiting for since it most likely wont ever exist.

If you paid more attention or read more carefully, you'd notice GP has stated the release of the actual XGP has nothing to do with the success of the GPKiDS. Also, you don't have any more backing for your statement that the XGP systems won't ever exist than I do for stating they will. This doesn't lend your argument very much validity, since GP's released hardware in the past. I can't say much about GP's present plans since I've been asked not to reveal that information, but they're inspiring more confidence by the day.

the puzzle game is going to be commercial and the platform game looks excellent. I don't see how you can say they shouldn't have even bothered to hold a contest. they could have ran it better and had more clear and less restrictive rules but to say they shouldn't have bothered when at the very least we are getting 2 very high quality games out of this contest is complete bullshit.
I didn't criticize the games, I think most of them are nice considering the time constraints they had. I think, though, their money was better spent being poured into a revision of the GP2X that fixes some of its greater flaws, that would make it a system I'd respect more-- I think the same of the Breakout 'Docking station'. These games would probably have come out for free, and now some of them won't. That's not a winning combination for most people.

you just seem to be getting more and more insane and delusional with your rants against gp2x.

You've said that you hate the gp2x, why are you still here? I don't mean that in a get out of this forum way I just want to know. you are completely disgusted with the gp2x and gph so im just not sure why you choose to continue to post in these forums.
It's lovely how you call me Insane and Delusional and then try to show a gesture of kindness ('I don't mean get out of the forum!') in the same sentence. I find some of the discussion interesting. And a lot of the things GPH does are a lot like a terrible car crash. You don't want to stare, yet you can't look away... :p

you used to be one of the better posters here but since your game was decided to not be feasible on the gp2x you've had a nasty streak against everything gp2x related in your posts.
No, I've had disdain for GPH/the GP2X in force primarily stemming from being disrespected, lied to, and taken advantage of by GPH's primary distribution means, GBAX/Craigix. When a community hangs on this man's every word like it was divine law, it's difficult for me to go out of my way to be less frank than it is my nature to be. I don't sugarcoat things without a good reason, e.g. not to sound too negative. These experiences have removed the reason for that sugarcoating.

At any rate, your post and mine are derailing this topic. If you want to pick up this conversation, do it by PM, e-mail, or on AIM/MSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't understand exactly what this whole situation with craigix is. If you'd be willing, could you drop me a PM or something?

Crocodingus was fun on the GP32. I'm interested to hear what this is about though: "3rd: FourFs / Trevor / Action and Strategy"

Regarding the visual novel, it may not appeal to us, but that genre is very, very popular in Asia.

Mmm.. Guess he's just posting how he sees things..
Gets a bit 'samey' (almost always negative) though.

Crocodingus was fun on the GP32. I'm interested to hear what this is about though: "3rd: FourFs / Trevor / Action and Strategy"

Regarding the visual novel, it may not appeal to us, but that genre is very, very popular in Asia.

If FourFs was the coder rather than the name of the game, I would have suggested it might be a Trevor McFur remake, but that would be rather pointless. :lol:

EDIT: Wait, Int13 entered Crocodingus? :blink:

I hope GPH publishes information about the winners of the contest. Some screenshots would be nice, also a description and the criteria why that game was chosen.

I really don't understand why a second place was not chosen..., there must be a reason, but it sucks that the contestants know nothing about it.

I really want to see some videos of the visual novel and Four Fs, I'm part of the development team of Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles and we already post some screenshots and videos of it (i hope you liked the game).

I really want to see some videos of the visual novel and Four Fs, I'm part of the development team of Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles and we already post some screenshots and videos of it (i hope you liked the game).

Here are some of the screenshots, so that many can judge the decision by themselves:

wind_and_water.jpg

screen4.jpg

That's our 3-month work

Check http://www.yuan-works.com for more information.

You can find some videos there too, in the Wind and Water media section.

Mmm.. Guess he's just posting how he sees things..
Gets a bit 'samey' (almost always negative) though.
Exactly, I'm always frank on how I view things, really ... when there is some sort of revision to the GP2X that corrects the issues I named you won't hear me speaking negatively of it (except maybe, 'what took so long'.)

Personally the problem I think with the new firmware was that (as far as I was concerned) there weren't any hugely major things to fix - the gp2x does a pretty good job 'out of the box' with fw 2.0; but then I'm not (currently) coding for it.

The fact an update happens is a great thing and due to possibly lack of testing, some bugs crept in - that's just the way things work I'm afraid and you have to accept that.

Back