Gp2x Name Official!

pea posted on Sep 2 2005 at 04:04 AM said:
The domestic winner (교현) submitted 7 names
One of which was GPea :) :p
shoulda chosen that one!
(his/her logos rock BTW)

Are you sure the logos rock? They are the ones below right?

http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/aes.jpg
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/movier.jpg
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/gpgp(1).jpg
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/gpgp.jpg
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/gpea.jpg
http://www.gpx2.co.kr/logoFile/gpo.jpg

I think they suck pretty badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
gp2x8ji.gif

Prophet posted on Sep 2 2005 at 01:49 PM said:
ALL YOUR GPX2 ARE BELONG TO ME!
No, they are called GP2X!
Angel posted on Sep 2 2005 at 04:07 PM said:
I really was hoping for GPenis.
Someone needs to make some GPenis stickers we can put on our devices to replace the GP2X... :p

Not really all that hard to make your own sticker, Avery adhesive adress lables come in just thr right sizes, whether you want it to be a Gpenis, GPX2 or Horny Animal.

Okay this is what I'm hearing from the Korean side:

They were originally planning to get rid of the name 'GP' but then when they opened the contest and got 13 final names to choose from, they found out that they were all a registered product name so they could not use them.

So after much consideration, GPH wanted to stick with GPX2 but again they found out that GPX2 was already taken up as well for some printer.

So they really had no choice but to switch the name a bit and make it GP2X.

Sad story, really.

but why would that matter? There is the Gamepark GP32 and the Furano GP32 which is a sonar/gps device. And there are probably other GP32 products that have no relation to Gamepark, so why would it matter if some printing company is using GPX2 and Gamepark would be using GPX2?

OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 04:17 PM said:
Someone needs to make some GPenis stickers we can put on our devices to replace the GP2X... :p

lol please not!! :lol:
I don't want a "G Penis" handheld! :p

Angel posted on Sep 2 2005 at 12:30 PM said:
but why would that matter? There is the Gamepark GP32 and the Furano GP32 which is a sonar/gps device. And there are probably other GP32 products that have no relation to Gamepark, so why would it matter if some printing company is using GPX2 and Gamepark would be using GPX2?

It's probably an issue in the Korean Trademark office. As far as I can tell the Furuno GPS isnt Korean and thus no conflict. The 13 finalists might all have Claimed Korean product names.

I think it is an Alien conspiracy! Everyone knows that it is only I, darkman, that can pilot the new GP2X to save the planet earth from all those............uh........sorry got a little carried away there. :blink: Congratulations! You will probably be the first to download and enjoy the fun of the GP2X! ;)

ui had already posted my email showing the proof on another thread, as i said on that thread i couldnt use the website so i went and emailed them asking them why i couldnt use it and forwarded to them my ideas and details. but just for everyone else here it is again - by the way im not a cry a baby im not assd if i get one for free or buy it but as i said it upset me. im sure if it were anyone else they would state the same
"Hi Tommy,
Your naming suggestion has been duly entered.

Best Regards,
Kyutae Hwang
----- Original Message -----
To: kyute@gpx2.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:27 PM
Subject: more names

hello im still having trouble adding to your site - i have more ideas for names

prime = roman for first made

predator = something that preys on victims to satisfy its need - ie the gpx2 needs to be played.

oro = spanish for gold

romany , gypsy, gitano = race of people that move around and entertains.

star / estrella = a star or solar being giving life to other sentients.

sentient = see above also part of something bigger

phoenix = a mythical bird that is reborn in flames every 100 years

millenia = meaning a thousand years

solar = from near the sun

solarflare = a flare from the sun

flare = a flame moving away from its energy source

energon = energy in transformers ^U^

please add these to my naming entries

(can you tell id really like a gpx2?)

best wishes
tommy mordecai

>From: "Kyute" <kyute@gpx2.com>
>To: "tommy mordecai"
>CC: ÀÌ ¹üÈ« <bhlee@gpx2.com>,È« Á¤¾Æ <hja@gpx2.com>
>Subject: Re: help over naming competition
>Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:26:38 +0900
>
>Hi Tommy,
>
>Thank you, your naming suggestion is duly entered.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>kyutae Hwang
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: tommy mordecai
> To: hja@gpx2.com ; kyute@gpx2.com
> Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 3:09 AM
> Subject: help over naming competition
>
>
> hello there i have tried sending my competition entries all day but i am unable to post for some strange reason therefore i would like to forward this to yourselves for my inclusion in the competition as i feel its a little unfair i am unable to enter with all my ideas!!
> below is what i have tried posting all today
>
> my name idea is the following
> evolution /gp evolution /gpx2 evolution /game play evolution /°ÔÀÓ ³îÀÌ ±âµ¿Àü°³ / ¼¼°èÀûÀÎ ´ç ±ØÄ¡; °ÔÀÓ ´ç ±ØÄ¡/global party (e)xtreme (2) /game party (e)xtreme.µ¿¹° º¸È£ ±¸¿ªÀº ÈïºÐÇÑ´Ù; °ÔÀÓ ³îÀÌ ÈïºÐ/game play (e)xcite /gp (e)xtreeme (e)xcitement/gp±ØÄ¡ ÈïºÐ - (the gp2x might mean gp xx - like o2 or co2 uses the 2 as a way to emphasise its actually got something of a duality.)such as dual core processor etc etc new horizon.
> ok evolution we all know about evolution in people but it is evolution of gaming that is most exciting today so game play evolution means the evolution of gaming and new horizons of gameplay, game play (e)xcite games should be exciting and it is exciting to play new and different games or even just games we love to play its the buzz its the excitement, global party extreme, everyone engaging in a party atmosphere and making it extreme or enjoyable, global party xcite, is the excitement of going to a party with friends wherever it may be ie global as long as your with your friends having fun you can be anywhere. gp2x (gpxx) (e)xtreeme (e)xcitement is when you find out about a new thing such as a new arcade game and get extremely excited about it, you then speak to all your mates about it and it creates a huge buzz around then you finally get to play the game and enjoy the exteme excitement.
> I HAVE MADE A LOGO BUT MY SOFTWARE KEEPS CRASHING SO AS SOON AS IT LETS ME EXPORT (GPXPORT2 - TO EXPORT IS TO SEND OR MOVE AROUND WITH )THEN I CAN POST ON HERE.
> ALL IDEAS AND LOGOS COPYRIGHT Y'HEAR!! ^u^
>
>
>"

do you guys believe me now? i sent the emails in the day on the 3rd wouldve been on the 2nd but i got pissed off with the website (obviously korean time is different so just minus the time etc) i sent them two of the same email at the same time on the 3rd just incase 1 didnt get through , then i sent them a 3rd email and then a fourth with a few more ideas, i didnt keep a copy of the very last email.

Seraptin posted on Sep 2 2005 at 09:06 AM said:
and i dont care if it maybe was a publicity stunt (which i dont think). 3 ppl are getting a free gp2x and everyone of us had the chance to get one :p so i would be happy if the launch more of those publicity stunts ;P

Yes but if it was a publicity stunt (or a way to find out an amount of potential sales) then the name was probably already planned and it just so happened that the winner picked the right name.

If that is the case (which some people here seem to not want to acknowledge the possibilty of) then it's a bit of a con.

Back