The RetroPi

I'll probably finish the video tomorrow and will send you all a preliminary Kickstarter page then.

I'm almost done!

Okay, here is the video (unlisted) I plan to use for the Kickstarter:

What do you think about it?
I didn't make a fancy animation-render video, as I don't really like these flashy catchy stuff.
I'm rather honest and show what REALLY exists :)

Very professional, cool!

The audio from the show is a lot louder and noisier than the rest of the video, and I couldn't understand anything said there (although I guess it was in German which might explain that). So it seems to me you'd be better off replacing that with some retro inspired music.

Also, you misspoke slightly when you said 'soldiering' when I assume you meant 'soldering', but that's a small mistake and probably not worth re-recording given the expected audience.

What do you think about it?
I didn't make a fancy animation-render video, as I don't really like these flashy catchy stuff.
I'm rather honest and show what REALLY exists :)

Hehe, nice demonstration trying to put a module into an Raspbery. :D
Video shows pretty much stuff and especialy a working device in action! That's much more than other KS campaigns can provide so you should be pretty much on the safe side with that video.
Maybe you can show us a dummy of the actual campaign? For error checkings etc? Some things in the campaign can't be changed afterwards like stretch-goal descriptions afaik.

A little wobbly and heavy-handed at handling it.

Want to see a more exclusive setup with retropi in it. Sleek and nice, not next to circuitboards.

Little hard to understand that the retrode is a cartridge/controller adapter for a PC.

(turns out i missed how you were talking about the raspberry pi)

Make sure to say with only a raspberry PI, you can but you are missing cart ....

You might do a little graphic in the video to clarify this

Code:
                 ------------------          Have to change input on TV for each system
                 |                    |           No game backups
                 |                    |           Much wires
                 |....................|
                         |
        [original console]     [original console]     [original console]     [original console]
      |  |     | | | | | | | | | |   | | |  |  | |   | | | | |  |
   Images of controller types    

------------------          
                 |                    |            DIY
                 |                    |            Cant play _your_ games or the saves on them.
                 |....................|      
                         |
                      [rPI]
           USB keyboard   Mouse

------------------                              DIY
                 |                    |                              backup games
                 |                    |
                 |....................|

[retrode] - [rPi]                |       |
                         |  |
   Images of controller types        USB keyboard    Mouse

-----------------
                 |                    |                                  Plug and play
                 |                    |                                  Sleek
                 |....................|                                

|
            [ raspberryPI+retrode]
                         |  |                               |        |
   Images of controller types            USB keyboard   Mouse

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
looks retro, pro made, friendly, honest and all around nice to me!
i second the idea of reducing the volume and/or adding some
great 8bit tune at the end.

go retropi !!! :)

Little hard to understand that the retrode is a cartridge/controller adapter for a PC.

Well, the RetroPi is mostly aimed to users who already have a Retrode.
It's only a case we're producing here. The Retrode2 can't be produced anymore in larger batches, since the SNES ports are not available anymore and the MOQ is 10,000 pcs (and we need two different ports).

It's not a full device we're selling here, it's a case mostly for users who already have a Pi and a Retrode :)

In my opinion the part with the GamesCom footage is far too loud - and really, it's just noise. This is the part where I usually curse at the screen and go on an epic quest to find the magic mute/pause/nuke button.

Ah - you might want to make that more clear in your video then. From what I've understood from the video you would sell the full package and ordering only the case was optional.

I thought it's about the whole package, too bad.

I thought it's about the whole package, too bad.
well with higher tiers of Kickstarter goals, My guess EvilDragon could provide full units for sale...

Personally I already have a Retrode 2 I got from EvilDragon, so I would most likely not get a full unit.

It's not a full device we're selling here, it's a case mostly for users who already have a Pi and a Retrode
Oh no! I held off getting a Retrode because I figured I'd wait for this kickstarter, get a complete package. :(

iirc he isn't allowed to provide the full package as kickstarter reward, that's mostly why.

There may be full packages sold later on, unless that plan has changed since GamesCom...

Why can't he offer a Raspberry Pi and retrode board as a bonus for being a higher tier backer?

Why can't he offer a Raspberry Pi and retrode board as a bonus for being a higher tier backer?

The Kickstarter rules say that you can not include anything from a third party manufacturer, therefore, I cannot offer a Raspberry Pi.
I can include the Retrode and plan to do this for some units, however, as the only Retrodes I have are already in the normal casing and the packaging, it doesn't make sense offering them in a RetroPi case, as they would be more expensive than in my shop (the original cases are already paid).

I planned another Retrode2 boards batch, but as mentioned, unfortunately the SNES connectors are not available anymore unless I order 10,000 pcs each :/

I also cannot include an already pre-installed SD-Card, as some emulators explicitely say they cannot be distributed for commercial purposes.

That seems to be odd, since other Kickstarters I've participated in offer rewards like USB Thumb-drives, Coffee mugs and DVDs manufactured from third parties as rewards for pledging.

That seems to be odd, since other Kickstarters I've participated in offer rewards like USB Thumb-drives, Coffee mugs and DVDs manufactured from third parties as rewards for pledging.

If it's a coffee mug with your logo, that's officially your product then. The Retrode2 boards are also from my company, even though GC produces them ;)

If it's a coffee mug with your logo, that's officially your product then. The Retrode2 boards are also from my company, even though GC produces them ;)
So if your store stocked RPis then you could add them as a pledge too? Not that you'd likely be able to compete with the existing suppliers on price, I suppose.

I'm undecided on this project personally, by the way. I already have a Retrode, and have ripped most of my carts and put them in storage by now. I use my Pandora for most of my emulation needs, and while the only video I can get out of my old unit is SD after I broke the LCD connector, that's enough for most systems, and soon I'll have a Pyra to cover me too. I can see how people who already use a RPi for emulation would be interested in this, but I suspect only the ones that don't already have a Retrode, or have one but haven't ripped all their carts to SD already. But maybe there's a bigger market for people wanting to use the original carts for nostalgic reasons - I suppose they might well already have all the bits needed to fit this case.

Back