Electronics USB Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by pmprog, Nov 27, 2018.

1. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

I'm sure somebody on here might be able to help. It should be simple, but I'm not sure I can get me head around it.

I bought two USB-A panel extension cables to go in my Amiga600 case, which is populated with a Raspberry Pi, but the cables are quite thick and long, so I can't seat them nicely inside the case.

As an alternative, I thought about using pre-made cables, the most common is USB to microUSB; so I bought some breakout boards that I can solder and 3D print a base for that can be secured in the Amiga case using hot glue.

https://snag.gy/3xmXYp.jpg

So as I'm only trying to pass the USB-A from my breakout to the Raspberry Pi, do I need a cross-over of D+ and D- between breakouts? or does the D+ line need to stay straight through

Tags:
  2. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

pretty sure they have to be straight through. D+ and D- are a differential pair. D+ needs to be D+ all the way through.

3. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

Thanks. Once I've wired it up, I'll probably test with an old mouse on a pi zero so if anything blows it's nothing expensive or important

4. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Or maybe get yourself a USB tester? I think I got mine for something like $16.

5. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

Old mouse is effectively free anda pi zero is £4... Plus i have all of them in the house without the need to order anything :)

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

These diagrams agree with you all. The pins are reversed because you effectivly have to rotate them about a vertical axis to orient them for insertion, but within that reversal D+ and D- are not twisted (even though they may be inside the cable, I assume).
    https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout

SONY and pmprog like this.
  7. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

Yep, D+ matches to D+ and everything worked fine :)

spud42 likes this.