The Rabbit Joint

"We" being like 7 members out of a board of 12000, at least one of which (not naming names) has disliked Shikaku since the Slipzone days.

Seriously, the guy has matured a lot, and considering how much he has done for this scene, it's a joke that you arent giving him another chance.

Recent modding is killing the off-topic and other consoles sections.

Any thread where two people disagree is closed with no explanation. Any thread where two pieces of technology are critically compared is closed with no explanation. Basically any interesting thread is closed.

People are banned without explanation or discussion.

And any attempt to talk about moderating policies are stamped out.

Good policies if you want to stop non-GP2x owners visiting.

now thats aload of rubbish i visit ALOT of forums and we have one of the most laid back ways of running places like this.
people are banned for no reason?!?! your insane....

please dont post garbage its not fair on us......

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 19 2007 at 07:15 PM said:
now thats aload of rubbish i visit ALOT of forums and we have one of the most laid back ways of running places like this.

people are banned for no reason?!?! your insane....

please dont post garbage its not fair on us......
I too visit a lot of forums, and in these forums contentious issues are allowed to be discussed. Things usually sort themselves out too.

Here, almost anything which involves disagreement is closed eventually.

It's resulting in less and less posts, and less interesting threads. Lets all talk about whether PacMan or Pong is the best!

It's nothing personal, it's just a pity.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i dont mean to be an asshole, really i dont.... some of the forums i visit.. xbox-scene.. maxconsole..pspupdates(now that is a bad place) The big places.

They wouldnt even let certain threads start... i think that most closings have been acceptable the only recent ones i can think of is, the unbanning of certain members .... and well thats not for members to decide thats why we have a mod team, and that whole evoloution thread where people just decended into battering religion.

im very sorry if you feel this way about the forums, but my personal oppnion is that this place has been amazing since we got rid of a few members.
Infact ive really enjoyed reading these boards every night.

anyways thats my bit... im done now.

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:58 AM said:
it is im sorry but we have banned like 5 people since we have been here and well i stick to what we agreed on.
That only seems to prove the point more. Ive seen many useless annoying trolls on this forum yet you have only banned five people. Do you honestly think that Shikaku was one of the worst five people ever to post on this forum?

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 19 2007 at 07:29 PM said:
well i dont mean to be an asshole, really i dont.... some of the forums i visit.. xbox-scene.. maxconsole..pspupdates(now that is a bad place) The big places.

They wouldnt even let certain threads start... i think that most closings have been acceptable the only recent ones i can think of is, the unbanning of certain members .... and well thats not for members to decide thats why we have a mod team, and that whole evoloution thread where people just decended into battering religion.

im very sorry if you feel this way about the forums, but my personal oppnion is that this place has been amazing since we got rid of a few members.
Infact ive really enjoyed reading these boards every night.

anyways thats my bit... im done now.
Its definitely nicer without people like Klown and Angel spamming all the time, but I think some threads are closed unnecessarily. Usually interesting, passionate (yes, sometimes hostile) debates.

Not even being willing to discuss peoples bans also breeds discontent. Its not as if a discussion in some way undermines the moderators power, does it?

I remember times when people like bringoutthegimp were on the boards, he must have insulted nearly every person here, yet he was never banned, I find the fact that you thought shikaku bad enough to include in your list of the 5 worst people on the boards laughable.

For there to be this many people disatisfied and discussing it openly means that there are problems. Our appreciated forum moderators can either recognize that and address the problems, or they can ignore them and consider them to be previously finalized.

1) We should have two new groups: temporary banned and permanently banned. We can post clearly defined rules and make them accessible. Currently, clicking on Board Rules for GP32Xtreme Boards results in no rule/guideline information displayed. Is this just me?

2) We should post explanations for bannings. Sure, it's a private board. Sure, you can run it whatever way you want. However, I find that you can better develop a community when its participants feel like they have some degree of influence in important community developments. How long did it take to ban Epicenter after months of negative trolling? Why was iignotus banned? Look at all the people speaking up for Shikkaku. I understand that there is a warning process that's observed. How about publicizing this process?

3) We should only close threads that are wholly negative, directly abusive, or clearly without merit. Is the concern that we are using up valuable drive space? If one doesn't like a thread's content, then simply don't read the thread. The Windows/Linux thread was recently resurrected. How pointless is that tired debate? Nothing was done to impede that thread. The religion/evolution topic was closed inappropriately, IMO. For the most part, it was being discussed politely. It doesn't matter if the views expressed therein differ from any particular mod's perspective; I believe that it is not the responsibility of a mod to deem a topic as worthless just because it may differ from his or her viewpoints.

Please take these as constructive suggestions. I did try to address some of these points via private message, but I don't feel like I recieved adequate replies. Note: I (like most of our forum members) appreciate the work that our moderators do. We only seek to improve our forum because of the enjoyment and enrichment it gives us as community members.

Thank you for your consideration in reading my message.

saehn posted on Feb 19 2007 at 08:28 PM said:
2) We should post explanations for bannings. Sure, it's a private board. Sure, you can run it whatever way you want. However, I find that you can better develop a community when its participants feel like they have some degree of influence in important community developments. How long did it take to ban Epicenter after months of negative trolling? Why was iignotus banned? Look at all the people speaking up for Shikkaku. I understand that there is a warning process that's observed. How about publicizing this process?

Something like this

Shikaku's banning was already discussed and resolved ... by a select number of mods. Sorry for seeing a 8/3 in favour of unbanning someone and a bunch of links to tutorials and FAQs written by someone, and wanting to open up discussion among the USERS.

No, instead let's just close any topic that raises an issue we disagree with. Screw open discussion when we can censor and control.

If we don't want to unban Shikaku the very least we should do is provide the reason for his ban, in full, in order to enlighten the forum regulars who clearly don't know why he was banned - as they did nothing but heap praise on him.

Why don't you get over it, the decision was made by the team of elected mods, which you Rico are a part of. If you are really so passionate about this, then raise it in the Extreme team forum and lets discuss this where it matters. You bringing this into the main forum is disruptive and it seems like you're enjoying it too.

You could always give your point to Hando if you like.....

I personally agree with sensible GP32, this place has been much nicer recently. And for those who say I hated Shikaku, well you're wrong, we still chat in the Slipzone and were perfectly okay. I think you're forgetting the real reason why Shikaku was banned, nothing to do with him as a person. It was because of the constant flaming of the GP2X with the same argument over and over again. I have said it once, and here we go again, he was warned over and over, temp ban after temp ban, and he went too far and Hando gave him the boot. So lets move on and stop all the crying, were not children after all....

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
Why don't you get over it, the decision was made by the team of elected mods, which you Rico are a part of. If you are really so passionate about this, then raise it in the Extreme team forum and lets discuss this where it matters. You bringing this into the main forum is disruptive and it seems like you're enjoying it too.

You could always give your point to Hando if you like.....
Because we wouldn't want the rabble debating it would we?

This is supposed to be a DISCUSSION forum. If we can't constructively discuss the running of the forum, then maybe it isn't worth it anymore. And many more people seem to feel this way judging by how dead it is these days. And how nobody has come in to defend the mods.

It should at least be forum policy for mods to fully justify why they feel the need to prohibit free speech by closing a thread. We don't even get that anymore.

Back