The Rabbit Joint

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 16 2007 at 06:53 PM said:
Guys please help me. The new/shiny syndrome is too much to handle. Im on the verge of torrenting in Vista Ultimate :(

cant....fight........urge.........too.......................new and shiny....

... my WINxp desktop is black with only one Icon; for MAME. Not even the task bar was safe :lol:

You don't need shiny, you don't need widgets, you don't need animated semi-transparant-song-singing-break-dancing friggin' windows to get things done.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 16 2007 at 11:53 PM said:
Guys please help me. The new/shiny syndrome is too much to handle. Im on the verge of torrenting in Vista Ultimate :(

Get it. It's great.

Javacat posted on Feb 16 2007 at 07:10 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 16 2007 at 11:53 PM said:

Get it. It's great.
THANKS JAVACAT

Get Ubuntu and install Beryl. Shiny, and free (I mean legally free). And you get to spend hours admiring the wobbly windows effect.

Mudi posted on Feb 17 2007 at 12:26 AM said:
Get Ubuntu and install Beryl. Shiny, and free (I mean legally free). And you get to spend hours admiring the wobbly windows effect.

Is there something i can plonk in the terminal to install beryl while i wait?

Nova posted on Feb 17 2007 at 01:19 AM said:
Mudi posted on Feb 17 2007 at 12:26 AM said:

Is there something i can plonk in the terminal to install beryl while i wait?
apt-get something other other beryl?

TelcoLou posted on Feb 16 2007 at 06:09 PM said:
... my WINxp desktop is black with only one Icon; for MAME. Not even the task bar was safe :lol:

I thought you built a mame cab?

You have to add the Beryl repository to your repository list, there's guides on how to do this everywhere. Also you have to have your video card configured right, so look for a guide involving your brand of video card. Oddly, the easiest ones to get working are the cheap Intel integrated cards <_<

I'm using the open source ATI drivers which were quite easy to get working, but they only work on older ATI cards, people with newer ones need the closed source ATI drivers which are a royal pain.

Well I'm now stuck, cos I had to upgrade from dapper to edgy to get to beryl, and since the upgrade, my wireless adaptor does'nt work, and therefore can't install beryl.

Yeah, I can confirm that guide works if you have one of the bcm43xx's. I installed Edgy on a laptop with one and for the longest time couldn't figure out why the wireless card isn't working ("it's loading the module, why isn't it going?") but in order to use the bcm43xx module you need to rip the firmware from the Windows driver. I didn't feel like doing that, so I just used ndiswrapper myself, and it works perfectly.

woot im not using vista but it sure seems that way!

newshot.jpg

B)

Back